The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

2 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

He's a natural goalscorer as long as he's in the box, where goals tend to be scored. Unfortunately he's never in the box anymore.

I'm fine with strikers wandering around the pitch, pulling wide or dropping deep to create passing options etc, but Kane seems to rarely actually put himself in goalscoring positions for England these days. It's almost like he's bored of being a striker or something.

Greenfly, do you really think that is the case that he is bored of being striker? He’s worked his whole life to get where he is now, I very much doubt that he is bored of being a striker all of a striker, I think that is an overreaction. These are the peak years of his career 

7 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He’s a natural goalscorer DaveAV1, he just needs one to go in off his knee in the Euros and then he’ll go on a goal scoring run and then the whole nation will be on his side, we’re a fickle bunch

I agree that he’s our best striker and should start, particularly as we have virtually no alternative. My concern is we have nobody to come off the bench in the squad as a recognised centre forward, except for the out of form DCL that Southgate clearly doesn’t want to bring on. DCL hasn’t lost form during the tournament, he was already out of form, so why bring him?

Ollie and/or Bamford in the squad would be very useful at this point. As would starting a creative midfielder instead of just fast runners. 

5 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I agree that he’s our best striker and should start, particularly as we have virtually no alternative. My concern is we have nobody to come off the bench in the squad as a recognised centre forward, except for the out of form DCL that Southgate clearly doesn’t want to bring on. DCL hasn’t lost form during the tournament, he was already out of form, so why bring him?

Ollie and/or Bamford in the squad would be very useful at this point. As would starting a creative midfielder instead of just fast runners. 

What about Ings DaveAV1? I rate Calvert-Lewin very highly and he’s beautiful 

24 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Greenfly, do you really think that is the case that he is bored of being striker? He’s worked his whole life to get where he is now, I very much doubt that he is bored of being a striker all of a striker, I think that is an overreaction. These are the peak years of his career 

I think the issue with HK is that he has been poorly coached at club and country level for a while now, if or when he signs for Pep you will see the difference.

• Like 1

Kane has obviously  being given the freedom to play where he wants , If Jack was given that freedom then Kane would receive the service he needs by staying close to Jack. Hopefully Jack will take Mount's role and start to pass the ball into dangerous  areas rather than knocking it short to stay safe. One things for sure Southgate  is a lucky manager and he may stagger into a winning formula before we get knocked out without a fight. 

17 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

What about Ings DaveAV1? I rate Calvert-Lewin very highly and he’s beautiful 

Ings had a very good season, I’m not sure how his form was at the end of the season? Calvert-Lewin is a good striker but out of form. I can’t understand why we brought him along if the intention was never to use him? 

The big problem with modern international football is you play so many games against weak opposition, that the managers of the top countries can easily become convinced that they are tactical geniuses.

Gareth Southgate has the second highest win % of England managers (if you exclude Big Sam, who has 100% from one game). Highest is Capello btw - which perhaps shows how meaningless the stats are.

Dig into it, and most of Southgate's record is accounted for by Friendlies, WC Qualifiers and Euro Qualifiers against teams like Malta and Lithuania.

In terms of wins in competitive games against credible opposition (you can see all his results here), it's:

• Sweden 2-0 in World Cup 2018
  • Spain 3-2 in Nations League 2018
  • Croatia 2-1 in Nations League 2018
  • Czech 5-0 in Euros qualifier 2019
  • Belgium 2-1 in Nations League 2020
  • Poland 2-1 in World Cup Qualifier 2021
  • Croatia 1-0 in Euros 2021

And it's debatable whether half those teams were any good. Four of them have beaten us in competitive games during the Southgate era.

So he's a mediocre manager with an amazing generation of attacking talent, who has padded his stats, and it's gone to his head. This is the context Jack faces unfortunately - a manager who has become deluded that his "system", which doesn't have space for players like Grealish/Sancho/Maddison (and arguably Foden tbh), is a solid system that delivers results.

Jack is killing him with kindness at the moment, probably down to some smart advice from Dean Smith. But being pressured into picking Jack by every England fan and the media will be such a dent to Southgate's pride. I really don't see it happening unless injuries and illness hit the squad hard. Even then Southgate has plenty of crap players up his sleeve to keep Jack out of the starting XI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, tinker said:

Kane has obviously  being given the freedom to play where he wants , If Jack was given that freedom then Kane would receive the service he needs by staying close to Jack. Hopefully Jack will take Mount's role and start to pass the ball into dangerous  areas rather than knocking it short to stay safe. One things for sure Southgate  is a lucky manager and he may stagger into a winning formula before we get knocked out without a fight. 

The hope has to be that Jack plays today and that coincides with Kane finding some form and scoring. Thereby making it difficult for even The Emu to leave Jack out. Jack and Harry are the key to a good tournament for England. If we do well it will be in spite of rather than because of the manager. 

• Like 2

It's not just playing Jack, instructing him to stay glued to the left side and 'don't drift around' killed his game. Mount was drifitng around the pitch doing **** all , while Sterling at least attempted to take players on ( not his game though, better running off the ball ) 

It's so frustrating  seeing this squad struggle while Jack is either not used or used incorrectly, I'm convinced that given more freedom Jack could unlock players like Kane, Foden and Sterling amd we could be a real force.

5 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Not starting tonight apparently 

I don't know if I'm more enraged by Southgate or the fact that I've just clicked onto an article from the Daily Express. Either way, I'm fuming.

• Haha 2

If he doesn’t start tonight then Grealish may as well retire until Southgate **** off. It was ridiculous not to play him against Croatia, genuinely stupid not to start him against Scotland and a sackable offence not to start him tonight. 

Still, the accurate leaks previously came from The Athletic so fingers crossed this is just bullshit clickbait. 

If that lineup is true, like **** am I spending my evening watching that bollocks. Another game with Kane playing central midfield, and 2 DCMs? No thanks.

Sack this fraud.

I am sure we will see Grealish next season in the 10 position with Buendia on left and Traore on Right in a 4-2-3-1 and out wide left, with Buendia on right in a 4-3-3 

I can see why he doesn't really fit in this England team. Southgate doesn't believe he can play centrally as he isn't as defensive minded as Southgate wants from his midfield 3 in comparison to say Mount. While he wouldn't fit as a 10 when Kane is a player who drops deep. Jack isn't a pacey goal scoring wide forward who can run into space that Kane creates when he drops deep. 

So while Jack is supremely talented he only really works if you build the team around him as when he's in the team it doesn't work with the rest of the team tactically. Where Sterling on left can be replaced by Sancho or Rashford and it works in the same system. I think England need to build the team around a Jack / Kane axis with Sancho/Foden in the wide areas for the World Cup if they are to be successful. It just doesn't fit right now the way the team has set up for past 24 months.

Jack is a wild card impact sub in this tournament and I can see why that's what he'll be kept as even if he starts tonight. 

Edited by CVByrne

Sack him.  My beef with him is obviously bigger because of Grealish but just generally this guy isnt up to the England job with the talent this squad has.  Yes i know he has over 50% winning stats but you look at this squad, it overflowing with some of the best talent around and yet watching England looks like a slog through games and players looking hindered and playing within themselves...it's so bad.  If we went out but played like we can then fair enough but this drudge is game after game and then it's disappointing seeing the line up before every game.

• Like 2

Southyawn will be knocking one out over another point and hailing his qualification as a tactical masterclass lol

I have no time for him whatsoever but I still wish all the players the best regardless who starts.

Â