The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Come on man. Any question about the manager cannot be answered without praise. He can't say no, he hasn't helped me much either. It would come off so negative. It must be praise.

"Well I've clearly been ready for England selection since 2018. This man has only ever managed one club and took down a side that had been in the top flight for 10 years, so I don't think he can teach me much to be honest." 

...is probably closer to the truth.

Come on man, GS says he talked to Jack about what he wanted him to do. Jack said GS talked to him about what he needed to do, but here's you on here saying "Sure you did Gareth. I wonder if he honestly believes this sort of BS." 

It's OK to hold whatever opinion, but when faced with actual evidence "I told him, this" and "he told me that" calling it BS is possibly a little too sceptical.

It's OK to not rate Southgate, but to kind of deny facts to sustain or exaggerate a discussion on how awful he is weakens any argument, doesn't it? I mean he clearly did say what he claimed to have said.

If you'd have criticised for GS trying to take credit when he didn't need to, I'd have thought "yeah, fair comment"  - it does come across as " I made my player play better", but to say it's untrue that he told him what he needed to do is clearly nonsense.

Jack was asked specifically about what Southgate brings a week or two ago and he struggled to answer it. Just said something like "He's England manager so he's obviously a great coach." Now that to me is him struggling for an answer to bring up the team he manages to show his credentials rather than just go straight into what he offers.

Just now, Tom13 said:

Jack was asked specifically about what Southgate brings a week or two ago and he struggled to answer it. Just said something like "He's England manager so he's obviously a great coach." Now that to me is him struggling for an answer to bring up the team he manages to show his credentials rather than just go straight into what he offers.

Although tbf this is more evidence that Southgate is a shite manager rather than of any tension between the two.

16 minutes ago, blandy said:

Come on man, GS says he talked to Jack about what he wanted him to do. Jack said GS talked to him about what he needed to do, but here's you on here saying "Sure you did Gareth. I wonder if he honestly believes this sort of BS." 

It's OK to hold whatever opinion, but when faced with actual evidence "I told him, this" and "he told me that" calling it BS is possibly a little too sceptical.

It's OK to not rate Southgate, but to kind of deny facts to sustain or exaggerate a discussion on how awful he is weakens any argument, doesn't it? I mean he clearly did say what he claimed to have said.

If you'd have criticised for GS trying to take credit when he didn't need to, I'd have thought "yeah, fair comment"  - it does come across as " I made my player play better", but to say it's untrue that he told him what he needed to do is clearly nonsense.

Yes, you're right. It appears I haven't made myself clear on that.

IMO Southgate was inferring he'd told Grealish what he wanted, and it was those helpful tips and hints that had led to his good performance for England.

Which is of course, total fiction. Nothing Gareth Southgate has said to Jack led to anything different to what we (and everyone else in the country) have been watching him do for Villa for years.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 4

I kinda think people are overthinking the whole Southgate / Grealish thing. Jack will get his chance and is clearly not as fit as others right now. It's not a total shock to me that he didn't start the first game. 

35 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I kinda think people are overthinking the whole Southgate / Grealish thing. Jack will get his chance and is clearly not as fit as others right now. It's not a total shock to me that he didn't start the first game. 

I agree. Jack hasn't played much, has some fitness issues and is in competition with some very talented players. Many of which have also had good seasons and also been around the team longer. Perfectly valid for southgate to prefer others, he went with Sterling in the first game who I thought was really good. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

it could be a grudge, but it could equally be a flaw in his game, he is concerned about.

Jack in his own admission has things he could be better at and has worked on as a result of speaking to the England Manager.

If I remember correctly Paul Gascoigne had his doubters too....meaning parts of his game was seen as cavalier, by some....and not the best at some things.

What Jack 's forte is, is up there with the worlds best.....but its what he does not so well, might concern Southgate, in the early games.....Without the ball, Jack could be better and thats an observation, not a criticism.

I love the kid, he is up there with the best Players Aston Villa have ever had....but we need to keep some perspective......We all Love Jack, and we want whats best for him and to get the recognition, we think he deserves.

I would much rather be patient and see Jack in a quarter final of semi final where his stock, would surely rise more....We don't want to see him burnt out playing 9 games and coming back to us knackered.

What I want to see from Jack is quality not quantity.....and parodoxically, the more he doesn't play, the better he gets, think about it........its par for the course......The best acts are always on LAST.

Maybe he had him on the bench ready to come on should we be needing a goal, and get him fitter for the more important games.  - but then why play him for 90 minutes against Romania?

Maybe he was fit then, but then had a flare up, so they decided not to risk him.

Maybe Southgate doesn’t want to play him, but knows if he doesn’t win he’s going to get some hard questions about why he didn’t play - so will only play him if he *has* to, so he can say that he did play him, but didn’t make any difference?

Despite what some on here are alluding to, Southgate had a grudge with Jack - this is FACT.  The reason, and legitimacy of this grudge may be up for debate, but the grudge itself is not.  
However, although I do think he’s gotten over the grudge, I still think that he doesn’t rate him as much as the rest of the country does.  His hand has been somewhat forced, but he’s definitely come around to the idea of Jack being part of the setup.

As for the Jack saying that there’s definitely things that he’s learning and still needing to  improve his game is PR talk.  Only a proper clearing in the woods would say ‘I’m amazing and there’s nothing to improve’.  Jacks a very humble guy in every interview I’ve ever seen, and him saying that he’s learning stuff from Southgate is just normal stuff to say.  There’s nothing to learn from that fool other than how to be a good PR man.

Jack works INCREDIBLY hard.  More so that any of the other forwards in that England squad, so I can’t agree with that being a reason for leaving him out.  Southgate may well believe this, but we know about his skewed beliefs.

At the end of the day, I don’t want him injured, so I’m happy if he doesn’t play.  But I want him to be happy, so I want him to play.

But my biggest concern is that he will think that no matter what he does, until he’s wearing a big 6 shirt that he won’t get the recognition he deserves.  That’s my biggest gripe about this all 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â