The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Southgate has probably never had the balls to tell Jack there was an issue anyway, so he'd probably be none the wiser.

So...what you're saying is that you, a random bloke on the internet (as am I, no offence Tom), can detect an issue with GS, but that Jack, who actually knows him, works with him, trains with him and so on is none the wiser to this "issue"? That seems a bit of a stretch, perhaps? I mean I'd expect Jack to be in a better position to identify an alleged issues, not "none the wiser".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

He's helped my game massively," Grealish said

Southgate  - The Jack hating b**tard. He only helped him as a cunning double bluff, it's part of a grand conspiracy you'll see. Help him improve his game so that it hurts more when he doesn't pick him in the squad or team next time. See, evil genius.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's very simple, you can't prove that Southgate *doesn't* have a grudge against Jack, so why not simply rely on gut instinct and paranoia? 

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

Southgate  - The Jack hating b**tard. He only helped him as a cunning double bluff, it's part of a grand conspiracy you'll see. Help him improve his game so that it hurts more when he doesn't pick him in the squad or team next time. See, evil genius.

It's easy to be a glib at some of this but body language and instinct can be pretty good indicators of someone's real feelings and thoughts. Much more than what they say.

And yes, Jack will have been desperate to get into the England setup so will have said lots of nice things that he doesn't necessarily 100% believe.

• Thanks 1

Jack Grealish: Gareth Southgate praises 'outstanding' England midfielder - BBC Sport

England manager Gareth Southgate praised Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish's "outstanding" performance in his side's defeat by Belgium on Sunday.

"Today was a great game for us to see him in. I couldn't speak highly enough of his performance," Southgate said.

I thought Jack Grealish had an absolutely outstanding game. ..."I saw what I knew I would see from Jack, someone with the bravery to play. He took the ball in tight areas, his technique was good, we knew he would buy a lot of free-kicks. I thought he was outstanding - he should be delighted. I explained to him what we wanted to see when we brought him in in September."

Asked if Grealish had moved himself up the order for future games, Southgate told Sky Sports: "Yes, 100%".

18 minutes ago, darrenm said:

It's easy to be a glib at some of this but body language and instinct can be pretty good indicators of someone's real feelings and thoughts. Much more than what they say.

And yes, Jack will have been desperate to get into the England setup so will have said lots of nice things that he doesn't necessarily 100% believe.

No reactions left but spot on.

I think the truth is more mundane than GS having any personal issues with Jack.

He prefers pacy wingers who run in behind (Sterling, Rashford). He likes to play two holding midfielders. And he prefers his CAM / 10 to be a hard-working presser (so Mount, basically).

Once you set up all these limitations on your thinking, it's hard to see how you keep Grealish, Foden, and Sancho happy. At least one of them is going to be a bench warmer for most of the tournament, probably two of them.

• Like 3

Watching the game played now

I really don't think Jack gets even a quarter of the fouls he gets in the prem

This shield the ball get barged in the back fall over stuff, they're really not buying in to it, you have to get properly clattered to get the foul

Would make an interesting learning curve for him 

Just now, blandy said:

It's on topic :) and relevant to the wider point, no?

Yeah. I'm just trying to say you can't dismiss body language. If someone's thinking Gareth isn't telling the whole truth because he's looking a bit shifty then sometimes there's something in it. Your pictures were a bit of a strawman. 

To sum up how I feel once and for all. I don't believe all the conspiracy stories about Southgate. I do believe he is dangerously stubborn and that this will ultimately lead to England not doing as well as we could do. I completely question his credentials. He has this job as he came through the boys room, and the one opportunity he had out in the real world he absolutely bombed. He is extremely fortunate.

I can't stand his negativity. He has a rare amount of attacking talent and faffs about defensive formations. He has two in form left backs and plays a right back there instead, then these attacking full backs he does pick rarely cross the half way line. He persists with out of form players and players who do not deserve to start. I admire loyalty but not at the risk of progression.

Taking my Villa hat off, and just speaking as an England fan, I want to see the best team on the pitch. That team absolutely includes Jack Grealish - a generational talent who is so far above the likes of Mason Mount and Raheem Sterling, it's not even funny. I hope Jack's absence is purely down to some fitness issue. There is no tactical reason I can accept when lesser players are taking starting positions Jack can play.

So, whether there are personal issues or not, I do not trust Southgate. Most of the country want Jack to play, never mind Villa fans. They certainly don't want to see a back 6 trying to get it to a front 4 who are all over the shop / static / stuttering. There's no need for it, we have players to put teams to the sword. In particular, we have a player who is an entertainer, a magician, who can link midfield and attack, who can inspire a team to greatness. It would be a tragedy, and typically English, if we spurn this opportunity because of a resentful manager who may be completely out of his depth.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think the truth is more mundane than GS having any personal issues with Jack.

He prefers pacy wingers who run in behind (Sterling, Rashford). He likes to play two holding midfielders. And he prefers his CAM / 10 to be a hard-working presser (so Mount, basically).

Once you set up all these limitations on your thinking, it's hard to see how you keep Grealish, Foden, and Sancho happy. At least one of them is going to be a bench warmer for most of the tournament, probably two of them.

Most sensible post I’ve seen on the matter. It won’t go down well.

26 minutes ago, blandy said:

I explained to him what we wanted to see when we brought him in in September.

:crylaugh:

Sure you did Gareth.

I wonder if he honestly believes this sort of BS. 

10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

:crylaugh:

Sure you did Gareth.

I wonder if he honestly believes this sort of BS. 

He did. Here's Jack saying so

“I want to play as much as possible and all I've got to do is try and impress the manager as much as I can,” he said.

“Since I have been here he has brilliant with me, talking to me and telling me what he wants me to do."

Â