The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

14 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

you think facial expressions and your own interpretations of words is evidence of an underlying dislike for Jack? you see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

the facts are that Jack has sustained an injury for a long time and he has been selected by the manager as part of the squad.

why would he be picked if there's a dislike?

OK, you asked:

- Anyone who has an understanding of the game could see that Jack is an unbelievable player, even at Championship level. He should have been called up while in The Championship.

- Southgate claims that Jack has to play in the PL before he can be considered, despite going on to contradict this and call up Kalvin Phillips with no PL experience (even called up before Jack!)

- Jack showed top quality form for us in the PL and it still took an age for him to be selected.

- The only reason he was eventually selected is because everyone noticed how special he is and started shouting it. Southgate doesn't want his grudge against Jack to become public, because he's aware of how petty it would look, so he gets a very long overdue callup.

- Then there is Southgate's extremely weird answers to questions about Grealish in recent years. Even at one point hinting that Callum Hudson-Odoi (yes, Callum Hudson-Odoi!) was ahead of him in the pecking order, and even came across that all he cared about was Jack's number of goals. I mean you must be the dumbest man alive to not see what Jack offers other than goals.

- We get to the Euros. Jack has been MOTM what, 4 times in his 6/7 caps? He's better than all of our other wide/playmaker options yet Southgate picks everyone ahead of him.

I think Southgate is starting to be convinced by Jack, and maybe by a change in his personality/growing up. But to say there's been no grudge against him I think is just ignoring plain facts.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, est1874 said:

There is literally a video of him training (yesterday?) with the group on Instagram.

I don't really understand the situation if I'm honest. If he's had a recurrence of an injury that cost him minutes v Croatia then why was he included on the bench? At the expense of Sancho for instance. Makes no sense.

He is going to spend every second or third day on a slightly different schedule to prevent a reoccurrence of his injury. Probably for the rest of his career. People need to chill out - Southgate said before the tournament he knew he would be missing some training days.

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

OK, you asked:

- Anyone who has an understanding of the game could see that Jack is an unbelievable player, even at Championship level. He should have been called up while in The Championship.

- Southgate claims that Jack has to play in the PL before he can be considered, despite going on to contradict this and call up Kalvin Phillips with no PL experience (even called up before Jack!)

- Jack showed top quality form for us in the PL and it still took an age for him to be selected.

- The only reason he was eventually selected him is because everyone noticed how special he is and started shouting it. Southgate doesn't want his grudge against Jack to become public, because he's aware of how petty it would look, so he gets a very long overdue callup.

- Then there is Southgate's extremely weird answers to questions about Grealish in recent years. Even at one point hinting that Callum Hudson-Odoi (yes, Callum Hudson-Odoi!) was ahead of him in the pecking order, and even came across that all he cared about was Jack's number of goals. I mean you must be the dumbest man alive to not see what Jack offers other than goals.

- We get to the Euros. Jack has been MOTM what, 4 times in his 6/7 caps? He's better than all of our other wide/playmaker options yet Southgate picks everyone ahead of him.

I think Southgate is starting to be convinced by Jack, and maybe by a change in his personality/growing up. But to say there's been no grudge against him I think is just ignoring plain facts.

it's how you interpret it. has he gone out and said "I don't rate Jack" or "I don't like Jack"? I think we're both possibly reading between the lines albeit a little differently, but I wouldn't call a perceived grudge a fact.

Edited by osmark86

12 minutes ago, chomer said:

By all means criticise...but at least base it on facts.  In his last 12 England appearances, he played Denmark once and never against Belgium..

Anyway - we're going off topic here...so Jack...yeah...looks like it's something that's going to be managed which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Better to lose him for the odd match here and there rather than 10+ matches in a row.

Yes but England as a team played against them. He wasn't included in those games. 

Just now, osmark86 said:

it's how you interpret it. has he gone out and said "I don't rate Jack" or "I don't like Jack"? I think we're both possibly reading between the lines albeit a little differently, but I wouldn't call a perceived grudge a fact.

Of course he hasn't. He can't answer even the simplest of questions directly because he lacks courage. Never in a million years would Southgate come out and admit that, although we'd all respect him a lot more if he did.

2 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Safegate is a chickenshitprick.

I think Southgate is starting to be convinced by Jack, and maybe by a change in his personality/growing up. But to say there's been no grudge against him I think is just ignoring plain facts

This is it. I know for a fact that even a year ago Southgate did not like Jack. Liked him as a player, didn’t like him as a person. Thought he was a cocky primadonna and too interested in partying. And honestly I get that - they are polar opposites.

However I do think Jack has come in, worked hard, listened, been respectful and so has stayed in the squad even when he has been injured or been out crashing his car at 4am during lockdown - so looks like Southgate has decided his ability is enough to offset that dislike. So think we maybe need to move on from the grudge thing. Jack is in the squad on merit and I hope plays his way into the team… if not, so be it, he has still made the squad ahead of players Southgate loves (like Lingard) and the match day squad ahead of some other ballers (like Sancho) so he’s definitely in the picture.

4 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

It’s not a grudge, he just thought he was a dickhead. But that seems to be a thing in the past. Which is good for Jack, good for Villa and good for England.

Of course he hasn't. He can't answer even the simplest of questions directly because he lacks courage. Never in a million years would Southgate come out and admit that, although we'd all respect him a lot more if he did.

that assumes it's how he feels/thinks. again not a fact, but your interpretation of his intentions/thoughts. so maybe you're holding our for a false admission.

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

OK, you asked:

- The only reason he was eventually selected is because everyone noticed how special he is and started shouting it. Southgate doesn't want his grudge against Jack to become public, because he's aware of how petty it would look, so he gets a very long overdue callup.

There's no conspiracy. Jack just doesn't fit into the way Southgate wants us to play. He don't want to play with flare, it's too risky. He is very defensive minded, reminds me of Pulis unfortunately, this is International football. I remember the days we always used to play like this, we always used to be dour, while the likes of brazil played with absolute flare.

If your looking for entertaining football, Southgate is never going to be our man.

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

This is it. I know for a fact that even a year ago Southgate did not like Jack. Liked him as a player, didn’t like him as a person. Thought he was a cocky primadonna and too interested in partying. And honestly I get that - they are polar opposites.

However I do think Jack has come in, worked hard, listened, been respectful and so has stayed in the squad even when he has been injured or been out crashing his car at 4am during lockdown - so looks like Southgate has decided his ability is enough to offset that dislike. So think we maybe need to move on from the grudge thing. Jack is in the squad on merit and I hope plays his way into the team… if not, so be it, he has still made the squad ahead of players Southgate loves (like Lingard) and the match day squad ahead of some other ballers (like Sancho) so he’s definitely in the picture.

Yep. It's fine to have an issue with him, he may well have a reason that none of us would know about which is a very good reason to dislike him. However the excuses he used just wound people up as we could see through them. If he was honest and said they had history and that Jack would need to change/convince him or whatever, we'd have accepted it. I know it's not always as easy as that as it would hinder Jack's reputation, but still.

3 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

fair enough, but I don't think Southgate is blind to Jack's abilities and I think he's a little more pragmatic than you're giving him credit for.

It maybe so and you could be right but this has been going on for a while now and for me there has just been to many different issues for it to be just coincidences.

I have a feeling that Gareth doesn't like the way Grealish plays and I'm not saying how he drives the ball or skillfully glides past opponents, but in fact how Grealish will make opponents fall into the trap of fouling him. Maybe Gareth doesn't want that in the England team. I mean I find it real funny that against Romania Grealish was really our only Creative player, he charged into the box and got a penalty, then next game he isn't picked despite putting on a performance that should give you your next start. I just get the feeling it's not Grealish that Gareth doesn't like, it's his style of play and the outcomes that happen as a result which includes Jack on the floor from fouls. Maybe Gareth doesn't want to bring heated discussions or controversial discussions into the national team. It could be a number of things couldn't it but unless Gareth or Grealish come out and admit there's a problem, were just never going to know are we?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Played 90min v Romania

Exactly. These explanations don't make sense.

For some reason, some people are so desperate to believe that Gareth Southgate isn't just a bitter clint with a chip on his shoulder that they're willing to ignore all evidence to the contrary.

The man has never once spoken fondly about Villa since leaving us. He handed in a transfer request by fax while out of the country and told the press he wanted to leave to join a big club and win honours. He then joined Middlesbrough 😂 and won a League Cup - i.e. no more than he had already won at Villa - while speaking of his relief at having left us. Villa fans vandalized his car outside his house after he'd spoken about wanting to leave.

Cut to the last 18 months or so, and he's treated Jack appallingly badly and disregarded him publicly on numerous occasions by literally refusing to acknowledge media questions about his performances and talking about his favourites instead. Now he's played him in friendlies and named him in the squad to keep the media off his back but won't use him in tournament games unless he gets truly desperate.

What more evidence do people need. The man isn't just a tool, he's the entire shed. He plays Tyrone because he has to; he doesn't have any other decent options at CB in a back 4 with Maguire injured. I predicted last year after Jack's first call-up but before his injury lay-off that he'd barely feature in this tournament and that looks to be on course. It's got little to do with his shins and a lot to do with the manager not liking him and having zero affinity for a club he once captained in cup finals.

Edited by est1874
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Btw I think there's more to it than Jack being a party boy - plenty of the squad are like that (Walker etc) and Southgate still loves them. I think it was something to do with Jack's personality in general.

32 minutes ago, tinker said:

Jack's injury looks like its going to have to be managed,  I think Smith has hinted at this by saying we need a player who can take the pressure of him. 

Pretty sick of all the England crap now,  I'm sure Jack is as well , time to move on and let it go. 

Pretty sick of the thread tbh, it’s either this England crap or fans willing him to move to another club. Nothing about how exciting it’s going to have him and Buendia link up

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Yes but England as a team played against them. He wasn't included in those games. 

If that's your logic then let's get back on topic...

So yeah Jack...awful last 3rd of the season...didn't score or get any assists.  Or maybe...Jack was dreadful against Croatia on Sunday...hardly got involved...didn't touch the ball once.

I'm no Sterling fan and think Jack should be picked well ahead of him, but let's be fair 🙂

26 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I do wonder why people are struggling to grasp this. 

Me three. I'm not too concerned after all he was actually warming up just before Sterling scored. Ridiculous to think he doesn't have a personalized training plan after being out for so long.

8 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Pretty sick of the thread tbh, it’s either this England crap or fans willing him to move to another club. Nothing about how exciting it’s going to have him and Buendia link up

Yeah agreed. I am so excited for that. But it’s always the way with an international tournament. Hard to look forward to the season. Fixtures out tomorrow then it’ll start more!

• Like 1

Â