The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

2 hours ago, punkiller1981 said:

Agree Foden might not start but seeing Southgate operate over the last 4-5 years I would say he will pick rashford who for me wouldn’t even be in the squad on current form 

If he doesn't start Jack my motivation for England at this Euros will be almost gone, if he starts Rashford, it will be 100% gone.

I've never seen a player like Rashford who makes such terrible decisions on a counter, and he has no drive in him to win duels.

12 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Zero doubts I'll totally lose interest in England if he isn't playing. I was bored out of my tree watching that first match. The positive spin being put on it is laughable.

I'm shocked how many articles i'm seeing that effectively say "Southgate got his selection spot on".

We looked rubbish, without ever being threatened. Tournament football is even more about the result than a full season, you can get away with being rubbish and still winning for a short time, and find yourselves winning the tournament.

But, the blind labelling of the game as a masterclass of "How to start a tournament" is bizarre.

As has been pointed out, Southgate did look like he was about to send Jack on to change the game, and then it changed for him before he could. It is clear then that Jack will only be used when we need to come from behind or need a goal when drawing. The second we went ahead, every sub was to shore up the team and look to see out the win.  It's dull, and will continue to be, and will probably see us go out without a whimper.

It's like Argentina using Messi, or Portugal using Ronaldo, as an impact sub. You just don't do that with your best player. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It’s probably not in Southgates thinking but if you have a player as good as Jack but he missed a long period due to a stress injury, and tends to get kicked a lot in games. Would you potentially rest him in games you feel you can manage without him to ensure his available in more important games. He could yet play his part.

• Like 2

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s probably not in Southgates thinking but if you have a player as good as Jack but he missed a long period due to a stress injury, and tends to get kicked a lot in games. Would you potentially rest him in games you feel you can manage without him to ensure his available in more important games. He could yet play his part.

I've said similar to this previously...it's a possibility, but I'm assuming it is more down to how to sees Jack versus how he's managing his injury (especially given he played him for 90 minutes in a meaningless friendly).

13 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Quite simply, Southgate has been embarrassed more than once by Jack and he doesn't like it.

He doesn't like that he can win and still be asked why Jack didn't play, why Jack isn't making the squad. Then he doesn't like the excitement around after he is the most exciting England player since Wayne Rooney so refuses to praise him. He doesn't understand it because he doesn't understand football. He understands PR and getting paid. The England manager is now a job solely awarded on if the FA think you will embarrass them.

It's a disgrace Jack doesn't have 25+ caps by now. He should have been starting for England since 2018. Not in the squad, not behind guff like Sterling and Lingard. Starting.

Zero doubts I'll totally lose interest in England if he isn't playing. I was bored out of my tree watching that first match. The positive spin being put on it is laughable.

I have some reservations about this mate. We all want Grealish to play but I think that this is just a little OTT don't you think?

55 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

no apparently there is some vendetta in the workings you'd think XD

3 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

I have some reservations about this mate. We all want Grealish to play but I think that this is just a little OTT don't you think?

You could take out the "He understands PR and getting paid." if you want, but the rest is all on the nose IMO.

He's fallen into a ridiculously good job because he's a yes man with no outlandish history or success. He says whatever the FA want him.

Aidy Boothroyd wouldn't be far off replacing him if he didn't manage to bomb England out of every tournament. Aidy Boothroyd!!

He's mucked up the squad and is now starting players out of position, out of form, and waiting for injured ones to come back.

The options available to him are the best any England manager has ever had. So as such, I still think we could go pretty far. We could win the Euros and I assure you I'll still be crowing about what a bad manager he is.

Is that ludicrous? Of course it is. I don't like the arsehole.

I want Jack playing and winning England the Euros, or at home resting.

Wibble.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

In fairness, it’s not just Villa fans who know what’s needed:

Imagine most Blues/Baggies/Wolves fans will say they’re all Villa fans in *checks notes* Croydon. 

In seriousness though you love to see it! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

You could take out the "He understands PR and getting paid." if you want, but the rest is all on the nose IMO.

He's fallen into a ridiculously good job because he's a yes man with no outlandish history or success. He says whatever the FA want him.

Aidy Boothroyd wouldn't be far off replacing him if he didn't manage to bomb England out of every tournament. Aidy Boothroyd!!

He's mucked up the squad and is now starting players out of position, out of form, and waiting for injured ones to come back.

The options available to him are the best any England manager has ever had. So as such, I still think we could go pretty far. We could win the Euros and I assure you I'll still be crowing about what a bad manager he is.

Is that ludicrous? Of course it is. I don't like the arsehole.

I want Jack playing and winning England the Euros, or at home resting.

Wibble.

The best GS could do for his own reputation would be getting England as far as possible, even winning. I'm sure he knows this and has his own thinking about how to do so. For what it's worth, I think he's mad not to play Jack. But does he have an agenda against Jack? I just find that hard to believe.

6 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

His end product is woeful for an international

Raheem Sterling has 11 goals and six assists in his last 12 England games.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, birdman said:

Well said. Some posters seem to be on the verge of paranoid meltdown! 

I haven't seen anyone on the verge of paranoid meltdown, just a number who are very frustrated as they feel that this England team could be much better if our manager made better decisions.  Of course this is subjective but if you don't want subjective discussions I am really not sure why you would come on to a discussion forum.

Croatia were a decent side a few years back.  When we lost to them in 2018 we did get overrun in CM but we only had Henderson in there - the other two were Lingard and Alli because we had a dearth of CM'ers.  We don't now - we have two strong "6"s in Rice and Phillips (I would say competing for one spot) and two/three strong "8"s to play alongside in Mount, Hendo and Bellingham.  That is well balanced with Jack at "10" in front who is also decent in the tackle (certainly better than Alli and Lingard from what I have seen).   Equally, the Croatians are ageing and not as strong as they were 3 years ago.  We should have won much more comfortably and I, and a large number on here, believe that we would have if Safegate had picked a better balanced side.  And that's not mentioning a RB playing LB ahead of Man U's POTS and the LB from the CL winners.

Equally, that balanced set up but would serve us much better in later games against better opponents where ball retention becomes even more important.  We will need this if we are looking to win the tournament.

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Looked pretty likely that he was about to be subbed on (possibly for Sterling) on the hour.  Timing of that goal couldn't have been worse.

Agreed. I don’t think it’s a personal thing, I just think Southgate is unadventurous and has players he trusts implicitly, even if they’re in bad form.

It seems he picks players who play for the big clubs and therefore have experience in European competitions. I can see the logic, even if I don’t agree with it.

Everyone but Southgate can see that someone of Jack’s character, confidence and swagger would never wilt under the pressure of playing in the Euros, so it can only be because he plays for Aston Villa and has no experience in European competitions (though I’d argue Championship playoff finals are more high pressure/stakes than playing in the early rounds of the Europa League, especially when Jack’s future at the club he loves depended on the result).

Southgate is just a boring, safe manager, which is why we’ll never win anything with him in charge. Maverick players like Grealish will never be his cup of tea, unless Jack gets a chance in an important game and does the business, then he’ll have no choice but to pick him, but then Jack will have proved his ability to do the business on the world’s biggest stage anyway.

Southgate will probably always do the bare minimum in the Euros and the World Cup, but never anything more, though obviously I’d be delighted to be proved wrong.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

But does he have an agenda against Jack? I just find that hard to believe.

There's a hell of a lot evidence that he does. He looks physically in pain when he's expected to praise Jack in answer to a question, when he will happily wax lyrical with a big smile on his face about literally any other player.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

Â