The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Easy to forget that Grealish been out for a really long time and to be honest he still doesn't look match fit to me.

Know he got MOTM in the last friendly game but based on his Villa standards i thought he had an average game. Was the best out of a bad bunch.

Southgate is probably just managing his fitness. He started both friendlies to build up his fitness, think we will see a lot more of Jack as the tournement goes on.

I’d put a lot of money on this not being the case. 

In fact, it’s ludicrous to even think it. Do you think we’re going to get through the group and then he’s going to drop the players that got us into that position? 

Is he managing Chilwell and Shaw’s fitness too? 

Edited by Delphinho123

2 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

I think the trouble with looking at stats and not performances is that they can be very misleading. Sterling has a goal today from a game where he could barely control the ball half the time and constantly over hit passes.

Even just taking the two friendlies pre this tournament Grealish won a penalty and was heavily involved in the goal against Austria before he was tackled with the ball falling to Saka to score. I doubt he gets even an assist from those two games.

I’m not even that bothered that he wants to start Sterling ahead of Grealish. Sterling is a decent player. But anybody trying to tell me that Sterling is in better form than Grealish to justify his selection is quite simply wrong in my opinion.

I agree performances are important but Jack is an attacking player.

He needs to get assists and goals. It's his job.

If he wants to be a regular starter he needs to get those 15 goals 15 assists a season numbers, and to be fair he is on the right track. He just had his best season in terms of numbers, just needs to keep improve.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I agree performances are important but Jack is an attacking player.

He needs to get assists and goals. It's his job.

If he wants to be a regular starter he needs to get those 15 goals 15 assists a season numbers, and to be fair he is on the right track. He just had his best season in terms of numbers, just needs to keep improve.

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’d put a lot of money on this not being the case. 

In fact, it’s ludicrous to even think it. Do you think we’re going to get through the group and then he’s going to drop the players that got us into that position? 

I would like to think so.

Been a very hectic season and Sterling, Foden won't start every game, I'm fairly certain of that.

England have the depth to rotate. Would not surprise me one bit if Jack starts against Scotland.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

I would like to think so.

Been a very hectic season and Sterling, Foden won't start every game, I'm fairly certain of that.

England have the depth to rotate.

So you think Southgate is going to play a certain team in the group stages, and then once we progress, he’ll drop those players and play Grealish, James, Chilwell etc.?

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

So you think Southgate is going to play a certain team in the group stages, and then once we progress, he’ll drop those players and play Grealish, James, Chilwell etc.?

Southgate is certainly the type of manager to do that.

Horses for courses. Against Scotland you are expected to dominate against a low block, Jack more suited to that.

Just now, villalad21 said:

Southgate is certainly the type of manager to do that.

Horses for courses. Against Scotland you are expected to dominate against a low block, Jack more suited to that.

Jack is suited to any game mate. Can you not see that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Jack is suited to any game mate. Can you not see that?

If the gameplan is to play on the counter and hit long balls behind the defence you need blistering pace.

As i've said. Would not surprise me to see Jack start against Scotland.

Croatia were poor today, apart from the first ten or so minutes and a spell after the goal England weren't much better, Scotland will probably give England a tougher game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If the gameplan is to play on the counter and hit long balls behind the defence you need blistering pace.

As i've said. Would not surprise me to see Jack start against Scotland.

E2Uyi5EXoAo3YR_?format=jpg&name=900x900

Edited by Okonokos
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mbappe and Haaland are both incredible players, but guess what? There are certain managers which would prefer one over the other, or bench one for the other, depending on the manager, system, team and opposition. As both have different qualities which might suit one system/team, but not the other.

Hypotheticals of replacing Jack with Mount or Foden in our team are also moot. As you can't know that, they are different players, and it also probably is more of a reflection of how poor the rest of our team has been for years.

Mount in our midfield would probably still improve us substantially.

In the period when Jack was out, someone like Foden would have provided an undeniable cutting edge,

I don't think anyone would argue that Mbappe and Haaland are different.  Not sure what your point is there.

The nature of discussion forums is that they contain hypothetical scenarios - not much to discuss if people don't do this and share their different views??

Useless hasn't said that Mount or Foden wouldn't improve us, he has said that he would rather have Jack than Mount or Foden if we had to chose one of the three.  I don't think many Villa fans would disagree with this?

• Like 1

I'm happy with him being on fringes tbh.

He'll get minutes (infact I'd start him v Scotland) so up to him to take the chance when it comes.

Would be a bit uncomfortable if he got in and became one of the players of the tournament. Not because I don't want him to but imagine the press afterwards. Every single day in July and August they'd be banging on about what a scandal such a great player only plays for 11th best team in England and basically be demanding him to move to Man. City or whoever and that plays on the mind.

Platt was brilliant for England during 1990 world cup and moved on soon afterwards and Barry wanted to move six months after fully breaking into England 11 as did likes of Milner and Young so again past history isn't too kind for us when that happens and we were much higher in league with all of those players.

Star man at 2022 World cup is my bet so gives another another 18 months-two years to get really really good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Southgate is a mediocre manager but I cant fault him for a win. In the main this kind of crap football is what gets you far in tournaments so I get it. 

Grealish didnt get injured thats the important thing for me.

Grealish just started 2 friendlies as well. People shouldn't forget this.

Guy been out for a long time. Have to be cautious and manage his fitness.

Villa fans going crazy because he didn't play in the opening game needs to calm down a little. Calm down folks, Jack will play plenty of football.

• Like 1

I don't rate Southgate at all, but Sterling played well and scored so hard to be angry that he dropped Grealish for Sterling. 

On the other hand, much as I like Foden and Mount, you can't tell me Grealish wouldn't had more impact on that game than either of them. Appreciate Foden nearly scored but that was about all he did all game.

Dropping Grealish and taking away overlapping wingbacks also means Kane is a complete passenger with no service. I think Southgate will have to set us up differently for other matches, we played Croatia with a fear of losing, which sort of makes sense, but we can't play Scotland and Czech Republic with that same fear.

15 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I don't think anyone would argue that Mbappe and Haaland are different. Not sure what your point is there.

My point is literally explained in that very post, and the others preceding it.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'm happy with him being on fringes tbh.

He'll get minutes (infact I'd start him v Scotland) so up to him to take the chance when it comes.

Would be a bit uncomfortable if he got in and became one of the players of the tournament. Not because I don't want him to but imagine the press afterwards. Every single day in July and August they'd be banging on about what a scandal such a great player only plays for 11th best team in England and basically be demanding him to move to Man. City or whoever and that plays on the mind.

Platt was brilliant for England during 1990 world cup and moved on soon afterwards and Barry wanted to move six months after fully breaking into England 11 as did likes of Milner and Young so again past history isn't too kind for us when that happens and we were much higher in league with all of those players.

Star man at 2022 World cup is my bet so gives another another 18 months-two years to get really really good.

Quite true Platt didnt really figure until the knockout stages of the 1990 world cup  either.   From memory Robson got injured and Platt came on and took his chance. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Changing the subject here a bit now, but how much has his game come on under Smith? He was playing as a 8 in the championship and the beginning of his first season in the PL and he fancied him self more as a 8, but his game went to another level when he moved to the left at the time I questioned Smith’s decision to move him there and remember a few of us Slating Bruce for playing him there a few times. He owes alot of his rise to superstardom to Deano.

I don't agree, he was great as an "11" when he first broke into the side (the Liverpool FAC semi is a classic example).  He has looked great at "8" at times - I remember him dismantling Neves at Villa Park when we beat the Dogheads in their promotion season as an "8".  He was shifted back to "11" because Smith had an issue with front line creativity.

I think he has taken himself physically to another level with all his work with Ollie Stevenson.  I understand that Jonathan Barnett has been quite influential in getting Jack to fully focus and optimise his talent.

He also looks better when he gets better players around him - as anyone would.  Signing Ollie has been a huge help to him obviously and he looked fantastic playing with Barkley at the start of the season.  But equally, if we had bought in Buendia (RW) and, say, McNeil (LW) and played Jack as ne of two "8"s with, say, SJM or at "10" I think he would have looked just as good. 

The kid is pure quality and always has been across a number of positions - 7, 8, 10 & 11.  I don't think he owes his stardom to anybody in particular other than himself, although Ollie Stevenson (physicality), his teammates (to a degree although you do sometimes feel he could do it himself) and, obviously, all his managers and coaches have supported him in certain ways.

If we win the first two, he'll start against Czech last game.

If we need a goal at any point he'll be coming on. If he doesn't, Southgate will be crucified and hopefully sacked.

Â