The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

10 minutes ago, MentalM said:

I never said otherwise.

However, if you play the ball into open space, both Rashford and Sterling will get to that ball more often than Grealish. They are also both better at finishing

With Kane falling deep, Mount, Foden and Grealish prefer the ball in their feet the movement will be worse than if you replace one of the with Sterling or Rashford. And both of them play where Jack is the best, hence why its understandable he is the one benched. I think England would be way better with Grealish, but I understand Southgates reasoning. 

Wtach the Liverpool game. Grealish can too. We just don't do it regularly because he isn't the furthest player forward. 

I think Southgate is the only man on the planet who would have started Sterling today , but he got the goal and we won , so he gets a “pass”

Jack will almost certainly get a chance at some point  , the fact he  was warming up and moments away from coming on shows there is no agenda , just Southgate being a cautious manager and going with what he knows.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I can't think of another country that wouldn't find room in their starting eleven for someone with the talent of  Grealish. 

And It was ever thus .

Madness.

Southgate took 4 RB's because they are in the best 26 English players. In every measurable stat last year Jack is top or near the top of all English players, wheres the logic Gareth.

I can only guess it's 'big club' bias, if Grealish was a player for any of Man City, Man United, Chelsea, or Liverpool, and if any of Mount, Foden, or Sterling played for us, then you can guarantee that he'd be starting ahead of them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

I can only guess it's 'big club' bias, if Grealish was a player for any of Man City, Man United, Chelsea, or Liverpool, and if any of Mount, Foden, or Sterling played for us, then you can guarantee that he'd be starting ahead of them.

Which is bizarre because Southgate played for us yet still played for England,  of all Southgates reasons I hope this isn’t one but who knows...

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Does Mings Play for Man City?

You lot need to cut it out ffs, it's embarrassing.

• Like 1

Whilst I would have liked to see Jack, England won and the attacking players played well (other than Kane) so I actually think Southgate's selection was right (other than at LB).

As much as Sterling has his faults, he is great at getting in behind and did get the goal which vindicated the decision to play him.

We've also got to remember that the likes of Saka and Sancho didn't get any minutes today either which shows the depth of the squad.

I think Jack will play some part in the next 2 games, in fact he'll probably start the game against the Czechs if we have qualified by then. Then it is up to him to prove his quality.

We all know he's good enough at this level, but so far for England his best work has been winning free kicks and pens. If he could add some goals in an England shirt that will go down well with Southgate as Sterling, Rashford, Foden, Mount and Sancho have all scored goals for England and in meaningful games too.

On another note I thought Mings was excellent and the best of the back four. 

We played well and we won. Job done! I didnt think much to Sterling's overall performance but he made a good run and finished it well. We were quite fortunate that 10 of Croatia's players weren't particularly good today. We will play better teams and Jack will be required at some point. No need for despondency! One concern I do have is Mings being dropped for Maguire. That would be a shame. 

This is nothing to do with Grealish. I simply do not get the hype for Sterling. He is always awful whenever I see him (except against villa of course) he just runs like a T Rex on fast forward and loses the ball. His technique is awful.

My main concern for Jack would be that even if he gets minutes against Scotland or the Czechs he still won't feature in the knockout stages. If so it will be from the bench with England chasing the game. If Southgate doesn't trust him to start against Croatia then he won't trust him when the tournament becomes even cagier. 

If any of Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea or Liverpool had a defender in the England squad they'd probably be playing ahead of Mings, which what will probably happen as soon as Maguire is fit again.

Also nothing embarrasing about the opinion that Grealish is better than any of Mount, Foden and Sterling on current form, he's objectively one of the best players in the world that would improve any team in the world, nothing to do with being biased because he's a Villa player.

What was embarrasing was last summer those insisting that he's overrated and that if he left we wouldn't get anymore than £40m for him.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I have no doubt whatsoever, that if Grealish was a Man City or Man Utd player, he'd be starting for England. I think anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

I don't think it's like that - Southgate just has his 'trusted' players and he'll put them in regardless. Jack's got a lot of work to do to change that - but I really think he will. 

45 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Wtach the Liverpool game. Grealish can too. We just don't do it regularly because he isn't the furthest player forward. 

Yes, Grealish can too. However, then he also needs to do it before you can expect him to start in a position where it seems like Southgate prefer a goalscorer

5 minutes ago, useless said:

I have no doubt whatsoever, that if Grealish was a Man City or Man Utd player, he'd be starting for England. I think anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

I'm really not sure it is big club bias - he obviously played Phillips from Leeds and Rice from WHU who are no bigger than us.  I just think Safegate has SBS ("Steve Bruce Syndrome") - he plays negative football and tends to revert to type consistently.

The Croatians were poor - they have an ageing midfield and, without Mandzukic, lack a cutting edge.

Phillips looked good - and he is good AS A DCM where Leeds always play him.  But if he'd have played a more progressive "8" in there (Bellingham or Mount or even Jack as an "8") I am sure that they would have done equally well, if not better, with all of the space that the Croatians gave them.

The media are saying that Safegate's selections have been vindicated but, as said above, I am sure that, had Jack started he would have controlled that game and we would have won it more comfortably.

That England team, as per the last tournament, will struggle when it comes up against a top side and it will probably be too late to make appropriate changes as they won't be used to to the shape/formation etc..  The worst thing, imho, that could happen to England is that they limp into the latter stages and, as such, Safegate is seen as a success and is retained as he is just going to waste this golden generation of talent that England have coming through.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, useless said:

Tell that to Shaw and Rashford 🙄

• Like 2

Â