The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

21 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Rashford is so overrated...

Has to be Kane, Grealish, Mount and Foden.

Rice and Bellingham sitting.

I think we'd fancy our chances against anyone if we play to our strengths.

Hope Southgate doesn't just play to not lose.

I could live with this but I'd rather push Mount back alongside Rice and play Jack or Foden at "10" with Sancho in the front three for some pace up top to stretch them.  I'd also be telling Harry to stop dropping in to the no. "10"s space!

We could really dominate these Croatians.  I think, as we always do (particularly with Safegate in charge), we are worrying too much about them and not thinking what we could do.  Modric is 35 now and as slow as Hourihane on an off day!

Wouldn't it have been a breath of fresh air to have gone into this tournament with Eddie Howe or a Brendan Rodgers type in charge, that wants to play front foot football and can flex tactics to suit players.

4 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Is the belief among the wider football community that Jack isn't fast? I wouldn't say he's prime Gabby but he's certainly fast enough. 

He's lightning with the ball. 

Agreed.  You only have to look at that goal away at Arsenal where Jack ran the length of the pitch and Bellerin, who is supposed to be quick, bounced off Jack before he threaded a ball into Ollie.

2 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I could live with this but I'd rather push Mount back alongside Rice and play Jack or Foden at "10" with Sancho in the front three for some pace up top to stretch them.  I'd also be telling Harry to stop dropping in to the no. "10"s space!

We could really dominate these Croatians.  I think, as we always do (particularly with Safegate in charge), we are worrying too much about them and not thinking what we could do.  Modric is 35 now and as slow as Hourihane on an off day!

Wouldn't it have been a breath of fresh air to have gone into this tournament with Eddie Howe or a Brendan Rodgers type in charge, that wants to play front foot football and can flex tactics to suit players.

Spot on with the bolded bit. 
The team would still have pace with Sancho (and Jack is no slouch). The link up between Foden and Jack would be awesome. Mount bursting late from midfield, hitting the box as Jack delivers from the left. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yep 

Against a team with a dominating ball hungry central midfield what we need to do is keeping playing the ball down the channels really quick, only taking one or two touches before we lose the ball and it goes back to their midfield, rinse and repeat, none of this slowing the ball down and taking touches nonsense, none of this keep the ball out wide with players good on the ball pulling their aging or not particularly athletic midfield out of position and then working it around them... Play it long in to the channels, turn their full backs around and pin them back... 

Will be interesting to see what we actually do, I think we'll go rashford and sterling possession will be about 56% to them and it'll be a hard watch but we will actually score on the counter justifying it all

I agree with your synopsis but think a wide player that could stretch their defence/push them back and, in turn, create space in and around that ageing midfield would be good plus ensuring that Kane stays up as a "9" and doesn't keep dropping deep.  In combination with Jack, Foden and Mount, of course, to run them ragged! 😉

Southgate will really struggle not to pick him

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/12329995/englands-xi-vs-croatia-readers-selection-for-euro-2020-opener-revealed

Grealish and Foden were overwhelming favourites to flank Kane in the front three, with the Villa man receiving 28,700 votes, and the City youngster receiving 23,400.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Rashford is so overrated...

Has to be Kane, Grealish, Mount and Foden.

Rice and Bellingham sitting.

I think we'd fancy our chances against anyone if we play to our strengths.

Hope Southgate doesn't just play to not lose.

I'd probably go with Sancho instead of Bellingham and drop Mount into the 2.

4 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I get the feeling Southgate will show who is the boss - he won’t allow what anybody else thinks to sway his selection, he is the boss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Is the belief among the wider football community that Jack isn't fast? I wouldn't say he's prime Gabby but he's certainly fast enough. 

He's lightning with the ball. 

I genuinely think that the problem is people judge pace these days on how rapidly someone can kick the ball past someone and chase it (Adama Traore being a prime example of this)

The ball sticks to Jack's foot and there's only so fast you can move when you're actually in full control of what you're doing (which Adama Traore, et al, never actually is/are)

In terms of creative players who actually control the ball well, the likes of Jack and KDB will never be thought of as the paciest players on the pitch, but they're definitely fast.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

I get the feeling Southgate will show who is the boss - he won’t allow what anybody else thinks to sway his selection, he is the boss.

I mean, this is what SHOULD happen.  Whether Grealish starts or not, it absolutely should be because the manager knows the team HE wants to play.

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Grealish got nearly triple the votes of Rashford. Rashford plays for United for gods sake.... You know what that means in public votes. 

That's how strong public sentiment is on this. Sterling almost not featuring at all in the voting. 

Edited by sidcow

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve only ever seen Sando when he is playing for England so don’t get the hype.

To be honest he plays less like a pacy winger and more like Jack or Foden. The reason he struggles for England I think is because of Kane clogging up the lanes. But also because his best ability is his through balls and well Kane just doesn't run in behind. 

43 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I can't believe Southgate hasn't once tested Mount in the two.

I think he did in one of the last few games. I remember Grealish and Foden were playing  too I think. There was an interview afterwards with Rice and Mount and they were so happy that they had played together as the two CMs considering they are childhood friends and used to play football together as kids. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I genuinely think that the problem is people judge pace these days on how rapidly someone can kick the ball past someone and chase it (Adama Traore being a prime example of this)

The ball sticks to Jack's foot and there's only so fast you can move when you're actually in full control of what you're doing (which Adama Traore, et al, never actually is/are)

In terms of creative players who actually control the ball well, the likes of Jack and KDB will never be thought of as the paciest players on the pitch, but they're definitely fast.

Did Opta publish top speeds achieved by players this year? I remember Trez was near the top of the pile last year. Would be interesting if opta published the underlying data and it showed speeds travelling with/without the ball

Edited by MrBlack

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

England manager for the World Cup?

He is a clueless failure who rides on past success while still playing 2010 football, a Portuguese Steve Bruce. Failed at Man U, failed at a return to chelsea, failed at Spurs. Now slowly declining into smaller, less relevant teams with each biennial appointment and each multi million payout.

But if he says a good thing about Jack then who can question him ;)

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

He is a clueless failure who rides on past success while still playing 2010 football, a Portuguese Steve Bruce. Failed at Man U, failed at a return to chelsea, failed at Spurs. Now slowly declining into smaller, less relevant teams with each biennial appointment and each multi million payout.

But if he says a good thing about Jack then who can question him ;)

He is half the manager he was and yet he is still double the manager Southgate is 😂

• Like 3

Â