The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

4 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Also if he starts against Croatia and we struggle then does Southgate drop him and he has a miserable summer? Part of me is happy with the idea of him playing his way in as the tournament progresses. Either way I think Southgate’s focus will be getting 7/10 defensive players on the pitch and trying to keep it tight.

I think Southgate will probably start the tournament with Jack on the bench with the reasoning that Jack is still not 100% fit. Jack will have to wait for his chance to play his way into the tournament, much like David Platt had to at Italia 90.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

yeah but he doesnt seem to have the same dislike for Rice as much. He also doesnt complain when we took players from Northern Ireland or other nations. Guy is a clearing in the woods

I think it’s more that his whole schtick is to be dour, cynical and contrarian. People like Grealish and Grealish is fun therefore Glendenning hates him. I have mates who think he’s hilarious but I never have, I am more on your page even though I think it’s just a front really.

4 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I am not surprised by the actions of the press anymore. The press in this country moan like hell that we never win anything as a country at major tournaments, then proceed to do everything possible to undermine our chances of winning a major tournament.

Exactly, I'm not sure how well the press every expect us to do when they keep disrespecting the very players they talk about. As you say they moan like hell about our players but even go as far to dig up some past about a player and why? Because it gets views and make cash. There doesn't ever seen to be any respect, certainly not any pride as a nation thinking at a time like this that maybe it isn't the best time to publish a story because it could damage the way they play.

Personally I think dragging up some players past and putting it out there is another form of abuse that these players go through that should be stopped. The English media should have a gag placed upon them because what they're doing to Grealish is no different from someone going online and giving him hate personally via his Twitter account. In fact depending on the story, some story's can be so damaging that it's hard to see which is worse between fan abuse on players and media damage story's hurting players.

I am pretty sure that it should be made a form of abuse and the media should be stopped from doing it. Once is enough then after that to keep on doing it time and time again for months and months on end, I just do not know how it can't be seen as a way of being abusive.

• Like 2

As much as I dont rate Southgate i dont begrudge him going Sterling Kane Foden with Mount behind and high press for Croatia which im certain he will go for. Its the first game against good opposition and they are often cagey matches and you want to be up and at from the start cos teams can tend to take a while to get going in these tournaments. The lack of any press in the first half of the Romania game would have made his mind up and made him doubly determined to make sure that doesnt happen on Sunday. 

Scotland and Czech are great opportunites for Jack to make himself undroppable if he get enough game time in both. 

34 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I think Southgate will probably start the tournament with Jack on the bench with the reasoning that Jack is still not 100% fit. Jack will have to wait for his chance to play his way into the tournament, much like David Platt had to at Italia 90.

If he scores a similar goal against Belgium, that would do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If England are planning on sitting deep and playing on the counter which very well may be the case against Croatia Sterling and Rashford will start no doubt.

You’re right but we are overestimating Croatia and should be setting out to dominate possessions and outplay them. BUT I think you’re totally right that Southgate will go 7 defensive players, play Rashford and Sterling and hope to nick goals on the counter.

14 minutes ago, Awol said:

Was just coming here to post the same. The way he speaks about Jack says it all,  game knows game. 

Think he’s right with the overall team selection too, Jack - Mount - Foden behind Kane would be incredible. 

Which means that is 100% not what Southgate will play. Couldn't have two people more polar opposite than Mourinho and Southate. Not a fan of either as a manager for what is worth. 

5 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

You’re right but we are overestimating Croatia and should be setting out to dominate possessions and outplay them. BUT I think you’re totally right that Southgate will go 7 defensive players, play Rashford and Sterling and hope to nick goals on the counter.

England don't really have tiki taka players like Modric though. That's the problem.

Not sure how you dominate games with Rice and a half fit Henderson.

Rashford is so overrated...

Has to be Kane, Grealish, Mount and Foden.

Rice and Bellingham sitting.

I think we'd fancy our chances against anyone if we play to our strengths.

Hope Southgate doesn't just play to not lose.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

wE nEeD pAcE 🤪

Yep 

Against a team with a dominating ball hungry central midfield what we need to do is keeping playing the ball down the channels really quick, only taking one or two touches before we lose the ball and it goes back to their midfield, rinse and repeat, none of this slowing the ball down and taking touches nonsense, none of this keep the ball out wide with players good on the ball pulling their aging or not particularly athletic midfield out of position and then working it around them... Play it long in to the channels, turn their full backs around and pin them back... 

Will be interesting to see what we actually do, I think we'll go rashford and sterling possession will be about 56% to them and it'll be a hard watch but we will actually score on the counter justifying it all

• Thanks 1

Â