The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Sunday’s match got me thinking -are we so Grealish focused (as we should be) when Grealish is playing that when he isn’t playing or has a rare off game it’s almost like we have to learn an entire new system?? And subsequently our attack goes to s***?

As soon as the system changed and players came on - players seemed to take more responsibility for being creative than I have seen since Grealish went out...

Anyone else after the emi martinet claim starting to think that when Jonathan  Barnet jacks agent said he is expecting a big summer for his players he wasn't referring to jack leaving. But maybe alternatively a mendes/wolves type arrangement, he's had a nod from purslow during jacks negotiations that villa would be looking big this summer.

58 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

Sunday’s match got me thinking -are we so Grealish focused (as we should be) when Grealish is playing that when he isn’t playing or has a rare off game it’s almost like we have to learn an entire new system?? And subsequently our attack goes to s***?

As soon as the system changed and players came on - players seemed to take more responsibility for being creative than I have seen since Grealish went out...

I also thought, imagine if we played like we did for the last 20 minutes, WITH Jack in the team?

Having said that, we probably did earlier in the season.

Basically, we have it in us, it might have been the players never had the belief in themselves without him?

1 minute ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I wonder if this delay is the england impact. Jack previously would have ran through a wall for villa, now having worked so hard to get into the euro squad he knows that he is one rushed return away from missing that whole tournament.

Problem is if he misses much more time he won’t make the squad. 

34 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I wonder if this delay is the england impact. Jack previously would have ran through a wall for villa, now having worked so hard to get into the euro squad he knows that he is one rushed return away from missing that whole tournament.

I think it's more our comfortable position in the league. There is no need to take an unnecessary risk with him.

Now if we were sitting 17th, I'd imagine things would be different. 

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think it's more our comfortable position in the league. There is no need to take an unnecessary risk with him.

Could be both. Jack been told to take all the time he needs for his benefit,  take extra precaution, and ultimately gives him the best chance of being fit both for the long term (for villa) and for the short term (for england). We have the luxury of our position to offer him this without it impacting the clubs plans for the summer.

They won't keep it going indefinitely as he'll need match fitness and to prove he's over the injury to get into the England squad, and if he doesn't reappear in our starting line up soon, the England decision makers would be right to be concerned about taking  him.  He probably has the luxury of being England's best (second best behind Kane?) player, so may get a look in even if he's just fit. Although we've seen how those decisions have gone pear shaped the second the tournament gets underway in the past. 

4 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I doubt that's it. He's Villa mad, and probably knows he has one season at most left in a Villa shirt, but potentially less. He's the type of player who wants to be playing no matter what.

It would also be a real shame if he started prioritising international duty. Drives me up the walls when players do that. They're employed to work for their clubs, not for the FA or any respective international setup.

7 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I hope the squad don't think like you, or Smith, although it would explain a few of our performances.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, est1874 said:

I doubt that's it. He's Villa mad, and probably knows he has one season at most left in a Villa shirt, but potentially less. He's the type of player who wants to be playing no matter what.

It would also be a real shame if he started prioritising international duty. Drives me up the walls when players do that. They're employed to work for their clubs, not for the FA or any respective international setup.

None of us know but the injury and recovery seems odd. Hes been very vocal about his england dream, it wouldnt surprise me if he is a little more cautious than previous. 

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I hope the squad don't think like you, or Smith, although it would explain a few of our performances.

You hope the squad and Smith don't care about the health and welfare of our captain and not rush him back when not ready?

I guess I should be surprised but....

3 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

None of us know but the injury and recovery seems odd. Hes been very vocal about his england dream, it wouldnt surprise me if he is a little more cautious than previous. 

He must have had some assurances he’ll be selected for the squad then because it’s a risky approach otherwise.

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

He must have had some assurances he’ll be selected for the squad then because it’s a risky approach otherwise.

I was thinking the opposite. Hes so worried about his selection he doesnt want to come back unless 100% fit.

Just now, cheltenham_villa said:

I was thinking the opposite. Hes so worried about his selection he doesnt want to come back unless 100% fit.

Yeah you might be right, I remember him having quite a poor game against Southampton (and West Ham possibly?). In hindsight I think the injury was starting to bother him then. 

• Like 1

I'm thinking a situation where the club feeling that they are in a position where we don't have to take risks or rush players back, even a vital one as Grealish. And where he got a bit of discomfort or picked up a minor knock in training is enough for the club not to gamble.

I know. seem far fetched.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Yeah you might be right, I remember him having quite a poor game against Southampton (and West Ham possibly?). In hindsight I think the injury was starting to bother him then. 

Could of been you never know..

Â