The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

45 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

So does Man of the match. I'm just wondering why they've changed it to Player of the match. I've never heard it called that before. 

Are they trying to put a Unisex spin on it because of women's football, who knows.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

Ok, after having watched Jack play in two competitive games alongside Kane i have come to the conclusion that Kane's interplay with Jack is very selfish. I can only assume this is because Kane thinks he is a better ball carrier than Jack, or is feeling a little put out at Jack being the centre of attention.

Everytime Jack looked to play a one two with Kane Jack would pass to Kane make his run and Kane would just run off with the ball in a different direction. However Jack always looked to feed Kane when it was the other way round. All the Spurs and ex spurs players seem to prefer to pass to each other over anyone else.

If I was Southgate, Winks (who I think is a bit shit), Trippier (we have five right backs better than him), and Dier (shit) should all be dropped. They're not good enough and will dent that Spur axis in the squad. Maybe they're annoyed that Dele Ali can't get in the squad anymore!

I think you're not far from the truth but last night seemed like Kane was desperate to score no matter what and was very selfish when it came to anyone else, not just Jack.  In some ways I admire strikers like that so long as they actually do score lots of goals.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Don’t agree. He was best on the park by a distance apart from Foden’s goals. Created the first two by winning the free kick and running 50 yards past 6 players.

Mind you I do agree with the backlash risk but he’s dealt with it throughout his career (not least on this thread as recently as last season!) so I’m not worried.

I’ll respect your opinion, and you may well be right considering a few others here share your thoughts, but for me he didn’t do too much.  It may well be because I’ve been spoilt by the level of his usual performances.  He won a few free kicks, he had a darting run into the area which came to nothing, and he laid one off for Saka which he ought to have done much better with.  He played quite a few 1-2 attempts, but for some odd reason the ball just never came back to him.

Overall, he was good, but by his own high standards he was average in my opinion.  Foden had a much better game, even before they had gone down to 10 men.  He’d assisted from a free kick, and had 2 decent attempts on goal.

Saka had a good game, and aside from 1 totally calamitous clearance, I thought Maguire had a pretty good game for a change.

Walker is done for me.  The last 2 games he’s been woeful.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thug said:

I’ll respect your opinion, and you may well be right considering a few others here share your thoughts, but for me he didn’t do too much.  It may well be because I’ve been spoilt by the level of his usual performances.  He won a few free kicks, he had a darting run into the area which came to nothing, and he laid one off for Saka which he ought to have done much better with.  He played quite a few 1-2 attempts, but for some odd reason the ball just never came back to him.

Overall, he was good, but by his own high standards he was average in my opinion.  Foden had a much better game, even before they had gone down to 10 men.  He’d assisted from a free kick, and had 2 decent attempts on goal.

Saka had a good game, and aside from 1 totally calamitous clearance, I thought Maguire had a pretty good game for a change.

I thought Jack played in cruise control . Wasn't at it like against Belgium but still one of the best players on the park 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Thug said:

I agree with this. But it was not because he was playing poorly. It was because he just kept it simple rather than forcing things. Didn’t over do it. Which as a villa fan I’m very glad about and need him fresh for Saturday. It was pretty much a training session.

Foden not having played in the last 2 internationals definitely put a lot more in to it.  I didn’t see last 20 minutes but if he scores 2 he definitely deserves motm and the headlines. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I thought Jack played in cruise control . Wasn't at it like against Belgium but still one of the best players on the park 

Its interesting, I felt he played against Iceland, Ireland and Wales slightly within himself, a bit like how he played against Burton earlier this season. But against Belgium he played how he does for Villa in the league.

I suppose ultimately, Iceland, Wales and Ireland, all with weakened teams, are max championship standard? Whereas Belgium would by CL in the Prem. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Its interesting, I felt he played against Iceland, Ireland and Wales slightly within himself, a bit like how he played against Burton earlier this season. But against Belgium he played how he does for Villa in the league.

I suppose ultimately, Iceland, Wales and Ireland, all with weakened teams, are max championship standard? Whereas Belgium would by CL in the Prem. 

Hes a big game player 

21 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Remember them sliding tackles by Sid and he would get back up with the ball at his feet ?

Hoddle was a beautiful footballer but didn't get as many caps as he should have because he didnt tackle. Luxury player

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think you're not far from the truth but last night seemed like Kane was desperate to score no matter what and was very selfish when it came to anyone else, not just Jack.  In some ways I admire strikers like that so long as they actually do score lots of goals.

I think that was something to do with him never having scored for England on a Wednesday or something daft. There was a shot of Tammy laughing cos he was getting subbed in but Kane had grabbed the ball for a free kick for one last go before he was taken off

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

It was a bit like this I think and although Jack stood out he was definitely holding back a bit. Sensible! Also because Iceland werent that good, the game wasnt stretched at all making their defence a very crowded place! We tried to tik tak our way through but it just wasn't effective.

11 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah, they just spell it how they say it. Just like some people spell "definitely" as "definately". 

It's kind of the reverse of people pronouncing words the way they're spelled. An example would be "hyper-bowl" instead of "hyper-bol-ee".

It's just the vernacular . I was always putting "of" instead of "have." It's only because some bright spark corrected me on VT that I  now put "have".

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Hes a big game player 

I bet I'm not the only Villa fan that feared he might be a (relative) flop when he got to the international level. But he's just taken it in his stride. Finally, we have a genuine superstar who's the envy of other teams' fans. 

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

agreed , he coasted a lot of that game like it was a friendly  , think he's passed his audition and will be one of the first names on the squad list now

I said in the England thread as I slagged off Foden for being rubbish ( clearing in the woods then went and scored 2 goals to make me look daft :) ) , but Jack was kind of give and go , keep it simple , keep the ball moving , draw fouls as required   .. Foden , Kane and to a degree Mount was all about me me me , England would have had 5 or 6 had those 3 been less selfish

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I bet I'm not the only Villa fan that feared he might be a (relative) flop when he got to the international level. But he's just taken it in his stride. Finally, we have a genuine superstar who's the envy of other teams' fans. 

Even though he was MOTM v Wales  , after the snubs v Belgium and Denmark in the next 2 , I genuinely thought he'd be 1 cap and out  ...

If nothing else he's shown Southgate that the solution to being 1-0 down with 20 mins to play isn't to bring on Jordan Henderson , so I think even if he doesn't start ( assuming Rashford & Sterling get those berths )  , his performances have guaranteed he will feature in future squads ....

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thug said:

That was usually Harry Kane if not him a Tottenham player or former Tottenham player. Mount was pretty much the only midfielder linking up with him regularly.

29 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

agreed , he coasted a lot of that game like it was a friendly  , think he's passed his audition and will be one of the first names on the squad list now

I said in the England thread as I slagged off Foden for being rubbish ( clearing in the woods then went and scored 2 goals to make me look daft :) ) , but Jack was kind of give and go , keep it simple , keep the ball moving , draw fouls as required   .. Foden , Kane and to a degree Mount was all about me me me , England would have had 5 or 6 had those 3 been less selfish

yes Foden and Kane were definately

• Haha 1

Â