The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

True. Before my time but what was the rest of the Napoli and Argentina team like compared to Maradonna. Did he carry that team as much as people make out or were their a lot of other good players too?

I would be surprised if there wasn't.....players like Maradona take all the headlines, but it is a team game, but that does not mean others are not very good too, it just don't sell media.

Look at the attention with Jack.....they are all waking up to what we already knew.....and some of us think its hype, it isn't, its delayed reaction.

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I noticed when Harry winks came on things got better......you have to have a busy bee in the middle winning the ball or turning it over.

Its ok having all the talent under the sun, but who is going to give them the ball.....I am not sure about Rice, unsure about his mobility and speed to the ball, Ward Prowse does a bit of ratting very well too.

its so important to get balances right, too many offensive players look great on paper, but in reality can struggle.

some players are great on the ball, but not so good off it......Belgium was brilliant off the ball,( and we know they are good with it) and that's was showed up in their defending. 

as an example..who would have thought Nobby stiles would be a world cup winner......who would have thought Des Bremner would be a Euro Cup Winner.

Balance is key.

Agreed.  When you watch our first XI and they are firing the balance in midfield is excellent - Luiz calm and collected covering the CBs but with the ability to distribute and break forward; SJM "ratting" as you say/being destructive but with ability to also burst forward and Barkley able to also lend a hand but better suited to carrying the ball forward and being a threat on the edge of the box.

When Liverpool play, their midfield is typically very samey (I find) - hard working and industrious - but this allows the full backs to be extra attackers (hence TAA and Robertson have better attacking stats than most wingers) and the front three can really push on, but again, when it works well, it is very balanced.

There are different ways to set up a team and create balance but, from what I have seen, Safegate generally has not got a clue how to achieve this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

No other star will ever have the same feeling for the club as Jack does......His whole Family are ingrained in Villa.

He has to stay with us......He has said it once My Club,My home.

there is nothing more to say.

As I said I would sell them and get jack back whilst profiting. 

35 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Agreed.  When you watch our first XI and they are firing the balance in midfield is excellent - Luiz calm and collected covering the CBs but with the ability to distribute and break forward; SJM "ratting" as you say/being destructive but with ability to also burst forward and Barkley able to also lend a hand but better suited to carrying the ball forward and being a threat on the edge of the box.

When Liverpool play, their midfield is typically very samey (I find) - hard working and industrious - but this allows the full backs to be extra attackers (hence TAA and Robertson have better attacking stats than most wingers) and the front three can really push on, but again, when it works well, it is very balanced.

There are different ways to set up a team and create balance but, from what I have seen, Safegate generally has not got a clue how to achieve this.

Barry..... we have some truly talented players in our team.......but when SJM and Luiz are on their game, strutting their stuff, I know we are in for an Arsenal or Liverpool type game.

They pull the strings in the middle, they change the dynamic of the game by winning balls off the opposition and playing in Trez, Jack, Ross.or Ollie...those 4 shouldn't have to come deep ,if the 2 are on top of their game.

I watch those 2 carefully and I usually know what the game will be like as a result of their performances.....they play well, WE play well.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, TRO said:

I noticed when Harry winks came on things got better......you have to have a busy bee in the middle winning the ball or turning it over.

I didn't think he did much ball winning at all tbh. What he did do was pass the ball forwards a lot more decisively than Henderson and Rice had been.

• Like 1

Just now, Sam-AVFC said:

I didn't think he did much ball winning at all tbh. What he did do was pass the ball forwards a lot more decisively than Henderson and Rice had been.

Its all down to interpretation...but he was picking it up more, and yes you are right moving it forward and more mobile.....you don't necessarily have to tackle to win the ball, but it helps...just reading the game and picking it up in transition is just as good.....My point is ( doesn't matter how) you have to have players who can relieve the opposition of the ball with reasonable regularity.....thats how we start attacks.

I was surprised listening to some of the pundits talking about bravery on the ball and looking for the ball showing courage like Jack did.....by definition, was they alluding to other players not having that courage?

I thought Harry and Jack did very well, but some was as flat as a witches tit.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its all down to interpretation...but he was picking it up more, and yes you are right moving it forward and more mobile.....you don't necessarily have to tackle to win the ball, but it helps...just reading the game and picking it up in transition is just as good.....My point is ( doesn't matter how) you have to have players who can relieve the opposition of the ball with reasonable regularity.....thats how we start attacks.

I was surprised listening to some of the pundits talking about bravery on the ball and looking for the ball showing courage like Jack did.....by definition, was they alluding to other players not having that courage?

I thought Kane was dropping too deep at times and trying to do too much, but he has to when there are only three attacking players (four once Saka got on) on the pitch.

Too easy for the Belgian back 6 (three CBs, the FBs and Witzel) to deal with.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

A lot of it is interpretations, but the stats of 0 tackles and 1 interception suggests it really isn't the case he did much ball winning.

7 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

A lot of it is interpretations, but the stats of 0 tackles and 1 interception suggests it really isn't the case he did much ball winning.

well he seemed like he was getting more on the ball and doing better than Rice and Henderson.....but it was how I saw the game.

I don't quite care how we get the ball off opponents or come by it to start attacks......but you have to get it, is my main point......some players can do that, and some can't.

I thought he made a difference anyway as did Saka.....and I am not usually a big fan of his, so no bias from me.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Apparently Southgate is playing his strongest team tomorrow which means Jack will feature. Would have preferred him to get a rest before Saturday. 

You do realise that our national manager hasn’t really got a clue what he’s doing and probably has made up 20 reasons in his head why his strongest team doesn’t include Jack. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I just utterly love the English language. 😄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Page 619: The flower starts to blossom. 

I almost forgot how bad things were with Jack before then. His career looked like it was flying off a cliff.

Did you just read back 619 pages or more?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Apparently Southgate is playing his strongest team tomorrow which means Jack will feature. Would have preferred him to get a rest before Saturday. 

In a dead rubber game, after complaining of injuries! 

This is purely just because he wants to avoid the scrutiny of a possible slightly poorer display.

Well done Southgate!

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

So if Madrid do indeed come calling cheeky Isco PX plus €80mill for Jack acceptable ?

That would honestly be a very good deal for us except iscos wages. But isco is probably as close to Jack as there is in football right now and 80 million can purchase a new winger. 

Â