The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Thought Grealish was ok personally against Leeds others we could blame much, much more...

In regard to diving, VAR has reduced that massively and I heard some statistics mentioned on the radio that confirm it. If Grealish was a diver he'd have had numerous yellow cards for simulation by now. I don't believe he has any over the last few seasons....so Leeds fans stick that in yer pipe!

F****** Leeds fans, bloody yo-yo club if ever there was one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Surprised you missed how he swapped around McGinn and Barkley v Leicester which happened before we went on to win the game. Does that not class as an in-game tactical decision? He said he did it because they were playing through our midfield too easily first half.

I did see that and commented upon it in the Dean Smith thread, where I have said that I am hoping that this is a sign of things to come.  Equally, given Ross' injury problems, I probably wouldn't have started with him.  Who knows whether that would have led to us winning or not.

This was a tweak, but that was maybe all that game needed because we were well in it, as the 3 pts shows.  We certainly were not well in the Leeds game by the time Bamford had scored his second and I was hoping for something a bit more drastic than switching Trez for Traore.  Maybe bringing on Hourihane and going with a diamond (getting an extra body in midfield) and pushing Jack closer to Watkins and, with the extra body in midfield, allowing Jack to wander and Barkley to push on more.

I don't think we have the bench, certainly with the midfield back up, (unless Ramsey gets much more time) to go like for like always and need to look at formational change some times.  I think this also makes the opposition re-think and can change the momentum a bit more than a like for like swap.

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Its a valid criticism. His decision making was suspect and he could easily have done better at this exact point. That doesn't diminish everything he did up until that point, but the greatness of what he did previously shouldn't diminish the criticism of what he did at this point either.

Fair enough mate, I just personally think some of the criticism I saw on social media after the game a bit harsh. Yes, ultimately, he made the wrong choice, because it didn't end up in a goal, but I'm personally not going to criticise him in this period of play, I think he had earned himself an opportunity at a strike on goal with the 60 yard run.

If however the run hadn't happened and it was just a case of him and Ollie clean through on goal and he chose to shoot with Ollie in a much favourable position then my feelings would completely change, for sure.

But when all's said and done, if any other player had picked up the ball where Jack did then this wouldn't even be a discussion :) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

I did see that and commented upon it in the Dean Smith thread, where I have said that I am hoping that this is a sign of things to come.  Equally, given Ross' injury problems, I probably wouldn't have started with him.  Who knows whether that would have led to us winning or not.

This was a tweak, but that was maybe all that game needed because we were well in it, as the 3 pts shows.  We certainly were not well in the Leeds game by the time Bamford had scored his second and I was hoping for something a bit more drastic than switching Trez for Traore.  Maybe bringing on Hourihane and going with a diamond (getting an extra body in midfield) and pushing Jack closer to Watkins and, with the extra body in midfield, allowing Jack to wander and Barkley to push on more.

I don't think we have the bench, certainly with the midfield back up, (unless Ramsey gets much more time) to go like for like always and need to look at formational change some times.  I think this also makes the opposition re-think and can change the momentum a bit more than a like for like swap.

The problem is the midfield is too samey in terms of the squad.....you replace a player and its almost like for like, not changing the dynamics of the game......There is an old saying in cricket which relates..." you change the bowler, but don't change the bowling"

I hope in January we look at signing midfielders with more agression and variety to their game....so we can vary things game to game.

I would also like to see some dedicated work on some of our up an coming Academy starlets......when was the last time we developed a CDM from the youth?

I see too may much the same, in style.....we need some variety and contrast of player.

1 hour ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Fair enough mate, I just personally think some of the criticism I saw on social media after the game a bit harsh. Yes, ultimately, he made the wrong choice, because it didn't end up in a goal, but I'm personally not going to criticise him in this period of play, I think he had earned himself an opportunity at a strike on goal with the 60 yard run.

If however the run hadn't happened and it was just a case of him and Ollie clean through on goal and he chose to shoot with Ollie in a much favourable position then my feelings would completely change, for sure.

But when all's said and done, if any other player had picked up the ball where Jack did then this wouldn't even be a discussion :) 

I agree wholeheartedly.

If any of us think Jack is the problem when we lose like this, I think they are missing the big picture.

Consistency is the holy grail and when players have an off day its tough, when too many have an off day during the same game, it usuallly registers a defeat.

Jack cannot bail us out in every game....no one can.....he will make errors of one nature or another, they all do.....but I think his level of consistency has been stupendous.

Jack did not cause us to lose against Leeds, other factors were far more relevant to that.....also despite our eye catching style of football ( which is great, Ian wright saying he would like to play for us) and missing 3 golden chances, we still had an option to draw 0-0....but the defensive side of the TEAM was poor on the night......We won't always be able to score goals, so we must be prepared to make the opponent doesn't either.....That needs to be central to our next venture in to the transfer Market, we need some steel in midfield, so we can change things.

I think you last line is poignant, the more he does, the more we want....that cannot be so, we have to look at area's where the opposition is benefitting.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TRO said:

The problem is the midfield is too samey in terms of the squad.....you replace a player and its almost like for like, not changing the dynamics of the game......There is an old saying in cricket which relates..." you change the bowler, but don't change the bowling"

I hope in January we look at signing midfielders with more agression and variety to their game....so we can vary things game to game.

I would also like to see some dedicated work on some of our up an coming Academy starlets......when was the last time we developed a CDM from the youth?

I see too may much the same, in style.....we need some variety and contrast of player.

I agree that we need more dynamic options for our CM.

However, I don't think it is too samey, but rather just not good enough.  Nakamba is the back up for Luiz and he is different - more of a ball winner but probably not good enough in possession for our aspirations (although we haven't seen too much of him post lockdown and he may be a better player now he has settled?).  I don't think we have any back up for SJM of any sorts - Hourihane doesn't have the energy or dynamism to play as an "8"  although Ramsey may be the answer here and maybe, in the not too distant, Carney (can't spell his second name) could rise to the challenge.  If Barkley is out, Jack could drop back in but we then lose our main attacking/creativity threat in advanced positions.  The only back up again is Hourihane, who I think is more suited to the more advanced role as he is dangerous around the box but again doesn't put enough in defensively for me, so we are left with Ramsey potentially again.

If he is not going to play Ramsey, I see this as the key area where we need to invest next.  I would love Rashica to rotate with Jack and Ross (3 players for two positions) and another "8" to compete with SJM, unless we genuinely think Ramsey is one of those, although the fact he has missed the last couple of benches suggests that this is not the case.

I personally felt disappointed with Grealish last Friday.  Let’s face it he is head and shoulders above the rest of the team and if he ain’t got an end product more often than not we drop points.  The run was superb and he was unlucky with the goal line clearance. Unfortunately unlucky doesn’t get us points. 

John Barnes this morning was asked on a PL preview programme, who he'd have between Jack and Maddison and he said Maddison. Because Grealish holds onto the ball and dribbles the ball too much and doesn't release the ball early enough, and if you're playing with strikers like Kane etc, Maddison has more creativity to create the chances and quote "load the bullets" for such players.

Such a tired talking point. They created the same number of chances per game last season, with a good chunk of Maddison's coming from set pieces. When it comes to creating chances from open play, Jack is the much more reliable player. Yes he dribbles a lot. That's how he creates his openings and he almost always releases the ball at the most opportune moment...which is *checks notes* why he was the most creative player in the league after De Bruyne.

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

John Barnes this morning was asked on a PL preview programme, who he'd have between Jack and Maddison and he said Maddison. Because Grealish holds onto the ball and dribbles the ball too much and doesn't release the ball early enough, and if you're playing with strikers like Kane etc, Maddison has more creativity to create the chances and quote "load the bullets" for such players.

Such a tired talking point. They created the same number of chances per game last season, with a good chunk of Maddison's coming from set pieces. When it comes to creating chances from open play, Jack is the much more reliable player. Yes he dribbles a lot. That's how he creates his openings and he almost always releases the ball at the most opportune moment...which is *checks notes* why he was the most creative player in the league after De Bruyne.

John Barnes hired Eric Black as his assistant and paid 5 million for Rafael Scheidt so it sort of tells you what his judge of talent is 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

John Barnes hired Eric Black as his assistant and paid 5 million for Rafael Scheidt so it sort of tells you what his judge of talent is 

Yes would never listen to John Barnes. If Klopp or Pep or Ancelotti or some body else with respected knowledge of the game said the same I would listen. 

38 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I generally like his punditry, but he was shocking today. Seemed to suggest that Zaha would not be able to be a team player at a bigger club (also how Grealish came up). Like what evidence of that is there? It seems like to be a pundit on TV you have to deal entirely in stereotypes, no nuance needed.

22 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I generally like his punditry, but he was shocking today. Seemed to suggest that Zaha would not be able to be a team player at a bigger club (also how Grealish came up). Like what evidence of that is there? It seems like to be a pundit on TV you have to deal entirely in stereotypes, no nuance needed.

2 players who were probably similar enough in style to John Barnes as well. He probably thinks Liverpool shouldnt have signed him

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

defender not on the line, goalkeeper doesnt make a good save then its 2-0 Villa game over. Grealish would have been labelled an inspiration for his performance 

Could have, would have, should have. He needs to make these moments count if he is to be the player we all know he can be.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Could have, would have, should have. He needs to make these moments count if he is to be the player we all know he can be.

First one I think he did everything right. Second one you have to score when you make a run like that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They were 2 pieces of good defensive play

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Nothing he could have done for the goal-line clearance, it was just superb defending. 

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They were 2 pieces of good defensive play

28 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Nothing he could have done for the goal-line clearance, it was just superb defending. 

First I agree. Second he could have just passed it.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not bashing Grealish. He was the only player that came close to doing something. We are a one man team in that respect.  Just wish it became memorible moments instead of just something remembered by villa fans in his YouTube video.

Â