The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

His long range shooting is better than his close range finishing. It's odd. De Bruyne would've buried that from that distance. Roof it Jack!

It's a relatively easy trait to train and improve which is scary because if Jack's finishing and decision making in front of goal improves, he becomes unplayable.

Still our best player tonight. unlucky with the goal line clearance and it was such a shame he didn't finish of that incredible run. That goal would have been etched in our memories for the rest of our lives like  the Dalian Atkinson one against wimbledon. 

• Like 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

His long range shooting is better than his close range finishing. It's odd. De Bruyne would've buried that from that distance. Roof it Jack!

It's a relatively easy trait to train and improve which is scary because if Jack's finishing and decision making in front of goal improves, he becomes unplayable.

De Bruyne wouldnt have got that far and he must have been knackered by the time he shot. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think he wanted the trickler pass in to the bottom corner and the space just never opened up for him 

That's what he wants from Watkins, a run that takes a defender away even by a few inches and it's such an easy goal 

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Still not seen a replay but it does look bad 

20201024_002613.jpg

Yep, should have passed it. 

In his defense, after that run I suppose the fatigue and adrenaline can hinder your decision making. Shame, if that had gone in, one way or another, we might have gotten the 3 points. 

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

I think he wanted the trickler pass in to the bottom corner and the space just never opened up for him 

That's what he wants from Watkins, a run that takes a defender away even by a few inches and it's such an easy goal 

Barkley would have roofed it too. He scored a very similar goal for Everton (minus the crazy run of course!) and I'm sure he got one for Chelsea. That's the only thing to do in that case. The pass in the bottom corner isn't on because I think the keeper is expecting it, unless you curl it with pinpoint accuracy. 

What's stopping him being utterly top draw is his decision making. 

Drives me Tom Ross barmy the number of times his cuts inside in the box and fails to shoot. He could score bucket loads but almost never shoots. 

Then like today when he. SHOULD pass, he shoots! 

It's fine margins but he's got it in him to be like Thierry Henry and score bucket loads cutting in and curling it top corner. Can't understand why he doesn't do it more. 

They knew Jack was the threat and they denied us the ball in midfield to nullify that threat.....We lost the initiative in midfield and then we lost the match down the flanks.

I think we collectively got it wrong tonight and it culminated in some players looking worse than others.

Personally, I wouldn't blame Jack for tonight.....He still made a run reminiscent of George Best....hardly not on form.

We were just stifled and then stuffed.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Still not seen a replay but it does look bad 

20201024_002613.jpg

I disagree. On a still picture it looks like he should pass but all the momentum of him and the defenders were going that way. Watkins would have been smothered by them before he could have got his shot away.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

This is what I think he wants from Watkins and it opens up the bottom corner for him, gives him half a yard on the man in the middle, run across the back shoulders of the 2 and the front of the deepest man, with how quick the last defender gets across to block Jack I'm not 100% he doesn't block Watkins too, agree Watkins was a bit static 

IMG_20201024_002713.jpg

Why?? Watkins has a clear shot on goal!

Grealish is an amazing footballer, no doubt.

But if he has one weakness its that sometimes he shoots when he should pass, and passes when he should shoot.

Its a fairly minor thing for all his other brilliance, but its something that if he improved on, he would be an even better player than he already is.

Lost possession 19 times over the course of the game – the most of any outfield player for Villa apparently. Not a great game overall from Grealish.

Learn and move on, we all know the quality is there.

It was a very similar run to his first villa goal. Think it was against Rotherham. It’s a great shame it didn’t go in, it would have been the goal of the season potentially. It’s only a matter of time before he scores one of those though, such is his class. 

Leeds nullified Grealish but he was still our most dangerous player going forward. 

I do worry if this 4-3-3 leaves us a bit open in central midfield with McGinn and Barkley (especially) getting so far forward so often. 

It’s a strange one. As much as I know I should be happy with 12 points after 5 games, I kind of got used to winning and had visions of us winning the league. Winning is addictive and we’ll need Grealish to stay fit if we want it to become a habit because nobody at the club seems to think we need to address the wide forward situation in the transfer window. 

Edited by Delphinho123

8 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I disagree. On a still picture it looks like he should pass but all the momentum of him and the defenders were going that way. Watkins would have been smothered by them before he could have got his shot away.

Naah.... the speed and acceleration of the ball far outweighs that of the defenders, a good pass would have given Watkins more than enough time to get a good shot away. Poor decision making.

Â