The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I actually agree that GS has done Mount no favours by twice now making him central to a perceived issue between himself and Jack. Mount seems like a nice lad who has done nothing wrong but now is the butt of many social media jokes as a result of this. 

To be clear, I do think Southgate was reluctant to get Jack involved initially but has warmed to him. I think he mainly seems resentful of the media hype around Jack and constantly being asked about him which he doesn’t always handle very well.

Ive said similar before. I don't think Southgate liked the hype around Jack and that everyone was clamouring for him to be picked. Gareth thinks he's overrated, certainly for the system he plays. When Jack put in a very good showing on his debut I think Southgate was trying to downplay it for whatever reason. Maybe his pride took a little dent who knows. The reason for Villa fans raised eyebrows is because of the warmer comments he reserved for others. We shouldn't get hung up on it but theres clearly some mind games going on. Perhaps Southgate is actually trying to help Jack improve and push him even more because he can see the talent and potential. Perhaps other player personalities require more fluffy treatment?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, birdman said:

Ive said similar before. I don't think Southgate liked the hype around Jack and that everyone was clamouring for him to be picked. Gareth thinks he's overrated, certainly for the system he plays. When Jack put in a very good showing on his debut I think Southgate was trying to downplay it for whatever reason. Maybe his pride took a little dent who knows. The reason for Villa fans raised eyebrows is because of the warmer comments he reserved for others. We shouldn't get hung up on it but theres clearly some mind games going on. Perhaps Southgate is actually trying to help Jack improve and push him even more because he can see the talent and potential. Perhaps other player personalities require more fluffy treatment?

A generous interpretation, I think.

Southgate lacks the vision and mental flexibility to adapt his thinking, incorporate, and then get the best out of the talent available to him. He’s utterly one dimensional and ego driven.

Jack as a 10 behind Kane, between Sterling and Rashford is the painfully obvious route to making England top class. Personally I’d play the double pivot with Rice or Philips and Henderson as the two sitting in.

That means killing some sacred cows in terms of media/FA darlings, and Southgate lacks the humility and courage to make the right call - and also own being wrong. 

Best (beer induced) case, Jack gets dropped for Belgium and we get pumped playing Southgate’s gash 7-3 system. The media then scream for Grealish to start against Denmark, he does, blows out the ‘tactics’ and bosses the game. 

Southgate then needs Jack to save his own job against Belgium in round 2. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Awol said:

A generous interpretation, I think.

Southgate lacks the vision and mental flexibility to adapt his thinking, incorporate, and then get the best out of the talent available to him. He’s utterly one dimensional and ego driven. 

I was being generous, albeit in theory only 😂 I think Jack will be on the bench tomorrow (if that knock he had bandaged up isn't an issue) but I won't mind that at all as he could come on, ideally make an impact and then we can watch Southgate squirm again!

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I've never thought club and nation was anything alike. And I always suspected man management and motivational skill far outweighed tactics at the international level. Then again wth do I know. 

I'm with you on this one. There really isn't enough time with the squad to work on little stylistic changes, those things take time to get right, a good international manager would be someone like a MON or, dare I say it, a Steve Bruce, someone who doesn't worry about the future, just puts the best current players in the team, picks a formation they are all familiar with, riles them up and sends them out there to give 100%

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

FWIW I think Southgate is more egotistical than it would appear and Jacks success sticks in his craw. Southgate has build his position as England Manager as a pragmatist, playing solid if boring football while pretending to be a master technician. He was a solid, dependable, boring centre back who left Villa and went to M’Boro because they supposedly had ‘ambition’. He left because of the money! He subsequently failed them as a manager because he couldn’t look beyond the end of his big boring nose.

Jack is everything that he isn’t.  A massively talented player who loves football and looks forward to the next game

Strangely I thought the football we played at the World Cup and following it was actually very watchable (usual caveat about the quality of oppo in the World Cup) with a very average group of players.  Maybe it was because I had such low expectations.  Now the expectations are higher having had so many new quality players coming through Southgate seems out of his depth.  I'm hoping Jack doesn't start today or the next game.  Playing 3 internationals in a week is pretty irresponsible from the FA.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thug said:

Basically:

’Yh he did ok. He can beat players, but so can Sancho and sterling. He’s comfortable at receiving the ball deep, but he’s not **** supposed to be there - that’s Rice/Phillips job. Mount came on in the same position, and he was excellent. He pressed a lot more than jack did, and also created 3 chances, which if even one had gone in, would have proved my point that he can do what Grealish can, but also brings other aspects to the game. We won, and that’s given me a big problem about how to never pick Jack again.’

For this reason I think he starts Jack again in that dull 7-3 formation, so that when England are getting battered he can bring Mount on (and possibly change tactics). Then he can say 1) Jack did nothing and/or 2) Mount changed the game when he come on. 

40 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Hope Belgium smashes them now 😡

You know this is a good thing for Villa. Although I hope this doesn’t mean he starts against Denmark. It’s ridiculous they are playing 3 game’s in a week. 

Edit: heard there could be 9 changes so he is using the squad well and giving everyone a chance. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Strangely I thought the football we played at the World Cup and following it was actually very watchable (usual caveat about the quality of oppo in the World Cup) with a very average group of players.  Maybe it was because I had such low expectations.  Now the expectations are higher having had so many new quality players coming through Southgate seems out of his depth.  I'm hoping Jack doesn't start today or the next game.  Playing 3 internationals in a week is pretty irresponsible from the FA.

It’s ridiculous but I guess the game on Thursday was to give fringe players a chance and the next two games will be closer to what he feels is his current strongest team based on availability.

I have no real problem if Jack doesn't play in the next two England games. The concern  and anger during the Wales game that started bubbling up when I saw him play with strapping then get kicked and holding his ankle confirmed that.

He's proved his point, achieved a goal of his by starting for England, now let's focused on winning the league with villa. 

For full disclosure I'm norn Irish so understand you guys will have more of a vested interest in England's success than myself!

• Like 3

Â