The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

That "not passing quickly" thing is pissing me off.

Would people say the same thing about Messi too when skipping past 4-5 players instead of "passing it quickly"?

When you've got extraordinary gifted players you just have to give them that freedom to get the best out of them.

This quick passing project of Gareth isn't doing anything. He was lucky to have Jack to unlock the defence.

He does hold on to it for too long, for me, sometimes if i'm honest.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

This remains my favourite post on VillaTalk, every week watching this Messi/Van Basten/Xavi hybrid.

That skepticism was well-founded, tbf.

We're watching a Gazza/Iniesta/Totti hybrid every week.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I always knew you loved Mason Mount more than Jack! 

Just being honest, doesn't take away from my overall view of him as a player, but he ain't perfect.

Seen it many times for us ( Which is usually put down to " it's because no one is on his wavelength " which not always true at all).

Also watched the England highlights, and saw one time in particular, where he made a very good breakaway run through the middle, had a wide open option to the left, in space and in an advanced role, but held onto it too long, then ended up having to stop, and pass it backwards.

I'm sure he can and will eventually address this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just being honest, doesn't take away from my overall view of him as a player, but he ain't perfect.

Seen it many times for us ( Which is usually put down to " it's because no one is on his wavelength " which not always true at all).

Also watched the England highlights, and saw one time in particular, where he made a very good breakaway run through the middle, had a wide open option to the left, in space and in an advanced role, but held onto it too long, then ended up having to stop, and pass it backwards.

I'm sure he can and will eventually address this.

The pass out wide wasn't on. Watch it again. Grealish wanted to play the quick ball but as soon as he was about to play it the angle narrowed and it would have been intercepted.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He does hold on to it for too long, for me, sometimes if i'm honest.

I don't think that'll happen too much this season with the quality of players he now has alongside him.  More understandable when he would look around and Taylor was his only option.

33 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I want him to release it that split second earlier so it doesn’t encourage the opponent to dive in and leave one on him. Yes it wins freekicks and gets players booked. But those knocks are going to take their toll.

I want referees to start booking and sending off players who repeatedly foul him - fine to say he should pass before losing it but to say he should pass it because otherwise he will get kicked is taking us back to the 1980s. I share your worry but I just think he’s actually not protected well enough at all by referees. How many players have ever been sent off for kicking him?

6 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

His cross for Calvert-Lewin reminded me of Beckham.  He's like Beckham with dribbling ability, I think you're right that his career will follow a similar path.  I never saw Best but his playing style makes him the ideal successor for Iniesta, I reckon Xavi would be a big fan and he will end up Barca manager soon.  That's the only danger we will lose Jack imo, I can't see him playing anywhere else in England now, assuming we don't end up going backwards towards relegation candidates again.

Since Jack signed his deal in the summer i've been thinking the same too, I honestly don't think (or hope) we'd sell to another English team.

Also i'd read too that there is some whopping release clause of £160 million, is this true or mere speculation?

We all have known Jack has the potential to be one of the best players in European football and now we are seeing that develop.

14 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I want referees to start booking and sending off players who repeatedly foul him - fine to say he should pass before losing it but to say he should pass it because otherwise he will get kicked is taking us back to the 1980s. I share your worry but I just think he’s actually not protected well enough at all by referees. How many players have ever been sent off for kicking him?

A lot of those challenges are genuine attempts to win the ball though. He’s enticing a player to commit before he eventually passes it.  It’s good play but at what cost?

Southgate responds to Jack/Gazza comparison ...

“I think he should enjoy it. He had an excellent performance the other night. When you make your England debut at Wembley, it is an occasion to cherish and to remember fondly. He is not an 18 or 19 year Jack, he is more experienced than that. 

“He is used to accolades, especially from his own supporters but he is highly thought of in the game. He'll be hungry to back up the performance the other night and to continue to show people what he is capable of.

“I am very conscious that I don’t want to dampen the enthusiasm for Jack. I always answer honestly about people and when you talk about Gascoigne, there’s not a player in English football history who was at that level in my opinion. 

“I don’t want that to be a criticism of Jack. I just think Gascoigne, who I played with, and I played with [Wayne] Rooney, [Steven] Gerrard, [Paul] Scholes, [David] Beckham and you could go on about phenomenal, amazing attacking players who won Champions Leagues, won 100 caps with England and who broke goalscoring records. 

“In many ways, I feel Gascoigne was so unique, and such an incredible player that I feel like I am talking about Bobby Moore. I think with young players who come through you shouldn’t burden or tag them by comparing them to someone else. Each one is unique with unique talents. 

“Jack has a style that is different to all those players I have mentioned and all the players in our squad. He handled the question maturely and I understand the comparison but I think Gascoigne, as an individual is just on another level to anything I played with.”

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If I were asked to pick which of Jack Grealish or Gareth Southgate were most able to judge the perfect time to release a pass...ah, you know where I'm going with this.

exactly, I want him to decide when to release the ball and when to keep it as he’s doing a pretty good job at it of late. The less he becomes coached into a carbon copy of every ‘talented young winger’ in the past decade the better.

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I hope some of you realise that you are actually worse than the Tanzanian fans you used to mock regarding Samatta.

If someone had asked Smith a question about Samatta, and he had replied with ‘I thought that Taylor was superb’.. and then someone had asked him again about Samatta, and Smith had replied ‘I thought that Hause was excellent’... you’d have a very valid point.

If that didn’t happen, then the comparison with Tanzanian fans is.. bizarre.

if, however, villa fans were complaining about why Lansbury wasn’t getting picked for England.. your comparison would be spot on.

• Like 1

Â