The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Gareth Southgate talking about Jack Grealish said " I think he also learned how we like to play without the ball as well and the importance of that in the biggest matches is really key" 

Again there seems to be an implication there that Jack is a bit of a lazy player without the ball. 

Am I missing something with Jack? Are these top level football people seeing something I am missing? 

Jack to me is one of the hardest working forward players without the ball I've ever seen play. 

Why do these accusations keep flying? 

They're looking at the exact same player doing the exact same things as us. But there is one big difference and I'm convinced that this is the problem.

You look at Grealish and him see weaving around and beating players, playing perfectly weighted passes, leading the team and scoring goals. They see the exact same however, they also see that he's got long hair, wears a hairband, wears his socks down and has a strong personality. Someone like that scares the shit out of middle aged men and leads them to believe he's a bad influence because he doesn't look and act like everyone else.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Tbf, its only been 3 games. If you look at last season he's attempted tackles rate is one of the lowest in the league for his the Attacking central midfielder and left wing position. 

While that's a fair point, only three games, he's made a considerable amount within those three games, hence being 18th league wide. 

If you consider the number of defenders and holding midfielders that take the pitch each round, there's three, four and even five times as many players better placed to hold 18th.

As for him ranking lowly last season for tackles, I'd say there's a few factors behind that, and none of them necessarily indicate Grealish is poor off the ball.

The team spent large parts of last season lacking cohesion and organisation required off the ball to funnel opposition play into areas and situations where we could win it back.

Without that the individual efforts, even if commendable, aren't going to be of much consequence.

The ball moves faster than the man, and doesn't have lungs.

Any guesses on what convoluted way Southgate will come up with to avoid playing Jack today?

In my dream last night he put a CM at left wing. I think it was a made up player though, or someone from CM2 back in the day.

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

Any guesses on what convoluted way Southgate will come up with to avoid playing Jack today?

In my dream last night he put a CM at left wing. I think it was a made up player though, or someone from CM2 back in the day.

He'll play 5-3-2. 3CBs (Gomez, Keane, Coady) behind 3DMs (Dier, Phillips, Rice), Rashford and Kane up front.

2 minutes ago, Rolta said:

It's only the pressure of the situation that has bought Jack into the squad, idiots messing up and injuries galore.

Can see Jack being used and looking like the greatest thing since sliced bread and then Southgate taking credit for turning him into a world beater because of his advanced coaching techniques and man management skills, tw4t of a bloke.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

He'll play 5-3-2. 3CBs (Gomez, Keane, Coady) behind 3DMs (Dier, Phillips, Rice), Rashford and Kane up front.

Probably be Mount instead of Rashford ;)

If I was Kane I would be fuming and demanding Grealish to play after watching the chances he created for Watkins and Barkley he should be licking his lips at playing with Jack

56 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

They're looking at the exact same player doing the exact same things as us. But there is one big difference and I'm convinced that this is the problem.

You look at Grealish and him see weaving around and beating players, playing perfectly weighted passes, leading the team and scoring goals. They see the exact same however, they also see that he's got long hair, wears a hairband, wears his socks down and has a strong personality. Someone like that scares the shit out of middle aged men and leads them to believe he's a bad influence because he doesn't look and act like everyone else.

100%. Southgate's wet dream is 11 James Milner's. I bet he hated playing with Gazza in the 90's.

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I can actually see that being the truth. I haven't paid much attention to the man, but he comes across as a company man, a yes man. Someone with a spotless CV politically. 

Someone so boring and dry I bet he's never ventured past missionary. 

I bet anyone with a tattoo or too much hair gel makes him feel akward. 

I bet he hates the fact that Jack is as good as he is. With socks down low and everything.

Pillock. 

Haha yes very true, Jack's flair seems to wind up some of the boring old guard who think they can get away with casting him as 'lazy' (as it's the one thing you could never say about them, even if they were distinctly average...)

As for Southgate himself:

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I can actually see that being the truth. I haven't paid much attention to the man, but he comes across as a company man, a yes man. Someone with a spotless CV politically. 

Someone so boring and dry I bet he's never ventured past missionary. 

I bet anyone with a tattoo or too much hair gel makes him feel akward. 

I bet he hates the fact that Jack is as good as he is. With socks down low and everything.

Pillock. 

The weird part is that Southgate’s high morals have been badly shown up since his chosen model of leadership and quiet professionalism  (Harry Macguire) was arrested and found guilty of assaulting a bloody Greek policeman! He has stood by Harry Macguire despite being proven guilty in a court of law but continues to wag his finger at others whose crimes are minor (breaking lockdown) or imaginary (Grealish). He should have done the right thing and dropped Macguire if he was consistent but he picked him despite a court appearance hanging over him. Seriously poor leadership from Southgate.

7 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

The weird part is that Southgate’s high morals have been badly shown up since his chosen model of leadership and quiet professionalism  (Harry Macguire) was arrested and found guilty of assaulting a bloody Greek policeman! He has stood by Harry Macguire despite being proven guilty in a court of law but continues to wag his finger at others whose crimes are minor (breaking lockdown) or imaginary (Grealish). He should have done the right thing and dropped Macguire if he was consistent but he picked him despite a court appearance hanging over him. Seriously poor leadership from Southgate.

I think that's a bit unfair.

He picked him in the squad when he was innocent, and then dropped him once he was found guilty. The timing was unfortunate and out of his control. The players that broke Icelandic law were sent home, dropped, and not picked this time either. The players that broke the UK lockdown regs were also not picked following that.

Pretty consistent if you ask me.

I get the criticism of him for not picking Jack, but I think some of the accusations are kind of people throwing stuff which is undeserved.

21 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I’ve just clicked through some more of those clips from that same channel. Oh my god, Southgate’s like a parody combination of Will from the Inbetweeners and Alan Partridge. 

He really is...

Also, slim and none?  Bob and No surely...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think that's a bit unfair.

He picked him in the squad when he was innocent, and then dropped him once he was found guilty. The timing was unfortunate and out of his control. The players that broke Icelandic law were sent home, dropped, and not picked this time either. The players that broke the UK lockdown regs were also not picked following that.

Pretty consistent if you ask me.

I get the criticism of him for not picking Jack, but I think some of the accusations are kind of people throwing stuff which is undeserved.

Whilst I applaud you trying to be balanced and fair minded, we’re talking about a bloke who clearly eats sprouts. Unacceptable for anyone, let alone a man who supposedly leads his national football team. 

Gareth Southgate, sprout eater!!

• Haha 3

Â