The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Seeing a lot of comments about him only staying because a big offer never came in for him. It’s probably true but who cares. He’s our captain, he is here for another season and his happy!

Its all good!

I wouldn't read into it too much. The way I see it is that he never really wanted or planned to leave, but kept his options open to see what else might be available elsewhere and what the club's current doings and plans were. If he got a silly offer from elsewhere while the club started signing League Two players, then he may have reconsidered what he really wanted to do. Even in that case he might have thought long and hard about seeing himself in different colours and may not have liked it, but I think that approach is more than fair and quite a mature thing to do.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think it illustrates just how much of a togetherness there is now at the club. 

Even Drinkwater had nothing but good words for Dean Smith. The management team are developing an atmosphere that is conducive to creating a winning mentality and the pledge from Jack today will have confidence soaring throughout the whole squad. 

It really is an exciting time to be a Villa fan. 

I don't think people realise just how important this is.

Sportbible (on Facebook) did a thing where Grealish and Maddison guessed each others FIFA rankings (apparently that's a thing now). And at the end, Grealish dragged Smith in and had a go at him for playing him at left wing and messing up his rankings (it's at the end of the video) - Deano responded that he'd got him in the England squad! Who wouldn't want to work in such an environment.

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Seeing a lot of comments about him only staying because a big offer never came in for him. It’s probably true but who cares. He’s our captain, he is here for another season and his happy!

Its all good!

It probably is true. But he could have kicked up a fuss and forced a move through and we'd have ended up having to sell him at a lower price or have an unhappy, unmotivated player on our hands.

There's nothing wrong with our captain being ambitious and being interested in playing for a bigger club.

If there was no interest in meeting our valuation then, if anything, it makes it even better that Jack was happy to knuckle down, sign a new deal and play for the club he loves.

Plenty of players would have had their heads turned and that would be it.

I know 'it's only Burton' but clearly it was 'only Burton' when they beat us two years ago - Jack's class is top level, and consistent and it was a matter of 'when' not 'if' we would win the game - and he's all ours for the forseeable (short of a mahoosive amount of cash to strengthen elsewhere) - that new contract is quite a moment for Villa. 

There were a surprising number of positive comments from 'rival' fans on the BBC Sport comments section praising his loyalty etc.  That is INCREDIBLY RARE - the BBC Sport comments are troll-filled like 98% of the time.  It seems that he is both loathed and loved at the same time.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

There were a surprising number of positive comments from 'rival' fans on the BBC Sport comments section praising his loyalty etc.  That is INCREDIBLY RARE - the BBC Sport comments are troll-filled like 98% of the time.  It seems that he is both loathed and loved at the same time.

Different to twitter then. Most of what I saw was "what an idiot", "lacks ambition", "obviously likes a relegation battle", "scared of a move to a big club", "overrated - nobody wants him" etc.

• Like 1

Thought he was fantastic last night,yes Burton but his attitude and his demand for the ball he could have been playing in a cup final.Think he will link up well with Oli as he did with a superb bit of skill only for him to miss☹️.Not going to happen now but image Benrahma linking up with them 2.

• Like 2

Games like that show how he's on a different level to the rest of the players on the pitch.

Obviously it's less in the Premier League. But games liek last night make you realise that he is our only player who is a proper standout.

I hope we can build a team that he deserves to play with

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Games like that show how he's on a different level to the rest of the players on the pitch.

Obviously it's less in the Premier League. But games liek last night make you realise that he is our only player who is a proper standout.

I hope we can build a team that he deserves to play with

Him and Luiz.  Looks like they sort of know it too.  Did you see the '1-2' they played?  Luiz gave Jack the ball then headed for the box.  Grealish had loads of easier options on - decided to chip it over the defence to Luiz.  They both knew.

I'd like to know what the owners told him that made him stay. I know money - yes - but it's clearly not only that and in his interview last night he claimed it was what they told him that made the decision for him ultimately - it has to be players doesn't it? 

Sky really hate us.  On transfer centre (webpage) again this morning that Jack was 50/50 about staying before signing.  Maybe I’m sensitive but feel like they keep wanting a negative slant on it.  Why not talk about home town kid committing his future to his boyhood club, how he’s come through the ranks, saved the club from relegation and has an England cap but nooooooooo Grealish was 50/50. Idiots!

First touch was phenomenal last night, pretty much every time.  He stands out so highly, against virtually everyone he plays against.

Interestingly he said there was interest, Smith said (I think, as it was quick) that no bids were received (both of which are probably true).  Either way, as some of those have said above, I don't think you can blame him for considering his options, but he seems genuinely excited to stay - here's to a massive season ahead! 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Sky really hate us.  On transfer centre (webpage) again this morning that Jack was 50/50 about staying before signing.  Maybe I’m sensitive but feel like they keep wanting a negative slant on it.  Why not talk about home town kid committing his future to his boyhood club, how he’s come through the ranks, saved the club from relegation and has an England cap but nooooooooo Grealish was 50/50. Idiots!

TBF Jack himself said last night on camera that he only decided to stay yesterday - that's no slight on him at all, but clearly he had options - until Purslow delivered a Sherwoodesque facial. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He was literally asked whether it was 50/50 and said yes, so... 😐 

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I'd like to know what the owners told him that made him stay. I know money - yes - but it's clearly not only that and in his interview last night he claimed it was what they told him that made the decision for him ultimately - it has to be players doesn't it? 

Has to be but is Martinez, Cash, Watkins, Traore and Rashica enough to convince him....seems a bit short re ambition.  Sort of feels something more is needed...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Has to be but is Martinez, Cash, Watkins, Traore and Rashica enough to convince him....seems a bit short re ambition.  Sort of feels something more is needed...

Might be more to do with next season possibly.?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He was literally asked whether it was 50/50 and said yes, so... 😐 

Haha I know but of all the things to include that’s what they put up!  Let’s pick the most negative part of the deal

Â