The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

that goal versus Burton was quite literally world class, no hyperbole, that was a world class volley.

Someone tried that in the footy yesterday from a corner and completely missed the ball 😂🤣😂

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

We need someone else on the pitch who can be as comfortable on the ball as Jack, not necessarily as good as him but just able to receive and give a pass with ease, someone you can ping a ball to and rely upon possession being kept.

I don’t think we have that at the moment.

Maybe Dougie. But yeah I think having Traore and Rashica will help with that.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He could have just said he hadn’t considered leaving and always wanted to be here.

I admire his honesty but I kinda wish he had just said that.

No its fair enough. Its good that he is ambitious and if the board and Deano were not able to show the same ambition, he would want to leave. I think that is fair enough, I don't want any player just to coast along at Villa. The project is there for all to see and that is to make Aston Villa a force again in English football.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I don't ever remember Villa having a player in the team who is just so far ahead of everyone else. He's like a football god come down from football heaven to play amongst the mortals. 

Slightly reminds of Le Tiss at Southampton. I hope we can get some better players moving forward so we are not just scrapping to stay up every year.

One of the best Reviews I've seen against Burton, what could we expect though from our captain Jack. Talk about Ownage on BenFox.

Burton's right-back Ben Fox will be feeling it in the morning given the runaround he had attempting to stop Villa's man of the moment, Jack Grealish. The skipper was in inspired form fresh from signing his new contract and looked bang up for it. His cute ball to Taylor in the build-up to Watkins' goal was almost too clever for the left-back, such was the ridiculously-good ball through. Went over to the right for large parts of the second half as Villa chased for a winner. The winner came and in stupendous fashion when Grealish spanked Lansbury's corner home from the edge of the area in Paul Scholes fashion. What. A. Goal. Star man, again!

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

We need someone else on the pitch who can be as comfortable on the ball as Jack, not necessarily as good as him but just able to receive and give a pass with ease, someone you can ping a ball to and rely upon possession being kept.

I don’t think we have that at the moment.

image.thumb.jpeg.1e2886c155062eef643b3815210f669a.jpeg

McGinn’s pretty good too (when fit) & we’ll have more by the end of the window too...

• Like 4

Just watched a video on sky sports it's a few mins long of Grealish talking about his new contract and what made him decide to stay.

Jack also says very quickly and it's easy to miss if do not pay attention to ok how he had a talk with the Owner and the Owner laid his plan out this season and how that was the decider. So to me that sounds indeed that if Grealish is happy with what the Owners are saying then it sounds like there are some amazing signings coming into Villa. We may yet still have some surprises yet to come, let's hope so.

Video is in the link:

Jack Grealish admits it was a 50/50 decision whether he stayed with Aston Villa and that he only decided to sign the new contract yesterday. https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12072948/it-was-5050-whether-to-stay

Edited by Dave-R
  • Thanks 1

Arsenal fan runs my kid’s football academy. Usually gives me a fair amount of stick over being a Villa fan in America (he’s English at least). 

not so much stick the past few weeks as he watches the Captain do his work. Green with envy now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Just watched a video on sky sports it's a few mins long of Grealish talking about his new contract and what made him decide to stay.

Jack also says very quickly and it's easy to miss if do not pay attention to ok how he had a talk with the Owner and the Owner laid his plan out this season and how that was the decider. So to me that sounds indeed that if Grealish is happy with what the Owners are saying then it sounds like there are some amazing signings coming into Villa. We may yet still have some surprises yet to come, let's hope so.

Video is in the link:

Jack Grealish admits it was a 50/50 decision whether he stayed with Aston Villa and that he only decided to sign the new contract yesterday. https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12072948/it-was-5050-whether-to-stay

Yeah don't think there's anything wrong with this interview at all.

A Champions League quality player needing proof that his club won't be in another relegation scrap before signing a new contract is pretty understandable. He speaks highly of Smith and Purslow, and he clearly see Watkins as someone who'll be burnishing his assist stats.

My guess is there'll be at least one real quality signing that hasn't been trailed already in the media. Maybe a CM or CB.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Yeah don't think there's anything wrong with this interview at all.

A Champions League quality player needing proof that his club won't be in another relegation scrap before signing a new contract is pretty understandable. He speaks highly of Smith and Purslow, and he clearly see Watkins as someone who'll be burnishing his assist stats.

My guess is there'll be at least one real quality signing that hasn't been trailed already in the media. Maybe a CM or CB.

I think it was obvious (to everyone but the few delusional) that he had considered leaving.

I think the real interesting bit is where he will play from now on. And what Deano's preferred position for him is. Had a brief exchange on that with NV last night in the match thread where NV wanted to see him as an 8 (I'm sorry I just hate using positional number references so I'll only use it once). 

I'll admit a few years ago I never thought he'd become as good in the final third as he has become. His development has been fantastic. I thought he'd excel as a deep playmaker since he had the vision and balance, but lacked the pace and directness. But he has just proven me wrong. 

To me we look very poor when we utilize Grealish as a box to box midfielder. It's not that he can't do it, cause he has become such a complete footballer I suspect he could fill almost any role. I just think he looks better in an advanced role. His performance yesterday kind of illustrated it for me. When he went deep to affect the game, our attacking play suffered extremely and he even had a pretty bad ball loss in the central midfield. In the final third however he was in a league of his own. 

Now ofc. we can argue he/we needs better wingers to make the attacking play work with Grealish as a box to box midfielder, but I can't help we are going the wrong way about it. He is so good damn good in the final third, we should rather buy a natural CM and keep him there. 

I'm sort of intrigued as to what our plan is. 

People may also be right that we want Grealish to play advanced centrally, and move him in as an AMC instead of a AML or box-to-box. It's all a bit difficult to discuss though considering how fluid modern football works. But I just can't see us do well in this league if we intend to keep the central midfield and defence together with Luiz and McGinn as the two deeper options. Thus it's natural for me to think Grealish will stick to a free roaming left position. 

I'd love to hear what people actually think on this, and maybe I'm just a football relic. But fwiw @NurembergVillan we're not on the same page :mrgreen:

• Like 3

I missed the party because of stupid work and a wonderful 7am start and 2am finish.

But this made me incredibly happy. I really, really believed he was gone. 

Build him a statue. You can’t leave if you have a statue. 

• Like 3

Â