The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

On 27/08/2020 at 11:06, Follyfoot said:

Take the head off the shower and push down the main connector, bend down a little and push the head between you buttocks, you can feel the water building up, wait a minute and it discharges with the contents of your lower bowel leaving a godlike level of anal hygiene 

Well you learn something new every day.

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Grealiah won't get called up with Rashford out.

Apparently Southgates new statement is that "Jack must prove to me that the earth is flat and aliens exist".

Sounds about in line with what we would expect southgate to say, so probably true.

So basically Jack is going to prove to us all aliens exist 4 sure, then Southate will say:

"I didn't state WHICH aliens you had to prove existed".

Southgate would be more in the camp of Jack having to prove the world is not flat and that Eric Von Daniken was wrong.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2020/aug/28/jack-grealish-england-call-up-aston-villa

What must Jack Grealish do to earn an England call-up?
The Aston Villa captain may have to adopt a new position or sign for a new club to convince Gareth Southgate of his merits
By Martin Laurence for WhoScored
In a week in which Gareth Southgate has had to field a number of questions regarding his latest England squad, the omission of one player in particular has, yet again, drawn widespread interest. It’s telling that there should be such a strong reaction to an uncapped player being overlooked, but at this point it is the frequency with which Southgate has snubbed Jack Grealish that is the real story....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

I listened to the podcast too and whilst I agree with some of it, they are a very cynical bunch. I think they are being contrarian for contrarian's sake. An example is Grealish creating Keinan's chance against Arsenal. They mention that's not a big chance and Keinan still had to run and outmuscle a player. Whilst on the face of it that may be true. It was a massive chance created by unbelievable play that you would see someone like Messi do for Barca. Grealish does not play in the same position as Sancho or Rashford. They are forwards. Grealish plays from the left but is always in behind the midfield and between the lines. Foden and Mount are his competition. We all know it. Southgate knows it and I was dissapointed MOMs twisted it the way they did. 

Edit: they've always been fairly critical of Grealish and comparing him to players of 20/30 years ago. It's an unfair stance given the teams he is playing in.

I came here to say the exact same thing, I'm a long time listener to this podcast and they don't rate Grealish as high as most Villa fans.

So just to add to what you've already said - It was strange them saying staying up wasn't down to Grealish but the whole team, sorry but if we didn't have Grealish we would have finished 20th.

Also they completely dismiss all of the stats, and refuse to even consider what most Villa fans are saying about Grealish playing in midfield by saying Grealish played most season left wing. Sorry but how many games did Winks start in CM? I bet Grealish started more in CM as thats where he was being selected first part of the season.

Also they don't consider how key utility players are in competition squads, by having some person who can play 2 positions allows you to pick an extra player in another position. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, omariqy said:

I listened to the podcast too and whilst I agree with some of it, they are a very cynical bunch. I think they are being contrarian for contrarian's sake. An example is Grealish creating Keinan's chance against Arsenal. They mention that's not a big chance and Keinan still had to run and outmuscle a player. Whilst on the face of it that may be true. It was a massive chance created by unbelievable play that you would see someone like Messi do for Barca. Grealish does not play in the same position as Sancho or Rashford. They are forwards. Grealish plays from the left but is always in behind the midfield and between the lines. Foden and Mount are his competition. We all know it. Southgate knows it and I was dissapointed MOMs twisted it the way they did. 

Edit: they've always been fairly critical of Grealish and comparing him to players of 20/30 years ago. It's an unfair stance given the teams he is playing in.

I agree.

I am also confused somewhat with what seems to me to be a contradictory situation ..... Southgate cites Greenwood as the inform  player, for the role he has him ear marked for....Southgate has already baulked at suggestions of versatility of playing players in different positions from their club.i.e Jack......At the same time Man U want Jack, for possibly a huge fee....why would they want Jack? When they have Mason Greenwood, who the International manager see's as a better player.

It don't stack up, for me.

• Like 1

Personally....And it's just an opinion but, Grealish is ultimately a CM/CAM. Ultimately his stats will declare he done x,y and z when starting wide but he drifts so much during games he is never really in one place or the other. He can play all positions because he only ever plays his way. With better players in wider areas though he can be more concentrated in his approach through the centre and that's when we will see him blossom further. We just need the pace and energy out wide in our signings to create more spaces through the middle. Something we didn't have on both sides last season. 

As for Southgate...I pity him. To be so dismissive of a talent when so limited as a manager, cries of arrogance to the point of potential incompetence. I think he has been getting off on playing God with Jack in something which is most definitely not football related but probably personality. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2020/aug/28/jack-grealish-england-call-up-aston-villa

What must Jack Grealish do to earn an England call-up?
The Aston Villa captain may have to adopt a new position or sign for a new club to convince Gareth Southgate of his merits
By Martin Laurence for WhoScored
In a week in which Gareth Southgate has had to field a number of questions regarding his latest England squad, the omission of one player in particular has, yet again, drawn widespread interest. It’s telling that there should be such a strong reaction to an uncapped player being overlooked, but at this point it is the frequency with which Southgate has snubbed Jack Grealish that is the real story....

"Widespread"  and " strong reaction" is the operative words for me......are we all wrong?, do we see something most weeks , Southgate does not?

12 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Personally....And it's just an opinion but, Grealish is ultimately a CM/CAM. Ultimately his stats will declare he done x,y and z when starting wide but he drifts so much during games he is never really in one place or the other. He can play all positions because he only ever plays his way. With better players in wider areas though he can be more concentrated in his approach through the centre and that's when we will see him blossom further. We just need the pace and energy out wide in our signings to create more spaces through the middle. Something we didn't have on both sides last season. 

As for Southgate...I pity him. To be so dismissive of a talent when so limited as a manager, cries of arrogance to the point of potential incompetence. I think he has been getting off on playing God with Jack in something which is most definitely not football related but probably personality. 

Where the real essence of the argument is.....he hasn't been picked for the squad, not the team, the squad....that is just bizarre for me.....even if Southgate is genuinely unsure, surely he would have a closer look by picking him, to see what we all can see.....where is the risk in that?.....its just jobs worth from Southgate.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

"Widespread"  and " strong reaction" is the operative words for me......are we all wrong?, do we see something most weeks , Southgate does not?

Widespread probably means not just villa fans which is in a way quite telling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, heffoman said:

Listened to that podcast to. I didnt think it was great i thought they went a bit OTT in thier critisism of Jack. He d be lucky to get into the Villa side after listening to that let alone the England side. They didnt level the same criteria to the people who he would be competing with for places at all. It was more a case of being overly harsh on one of our own than being balanced.

Brushed over Foden basically highlighting one game he played well. At one point comparing Grealishs stats to Muellers whose playing in the best team in the world at the moment. I thought it was unfair on balance. Never mentioned the post lockdown form of the players they thought he would be competing against yet used Jack's to crucify him.

As an Irish person I never want to see him play for England but even I can admit he should be in the squad at the very least.

I am beginning to wonder myself.....with all this furore, will he ever be accepted on merit, even if he was called up, would they play him ,or find other excuses?

I would seriously consider Eire, if I was him.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Where the real essence of the argument is.....he hasn't been picked for the squad, not the team, the squad....that is just bizarre for me.

It's most definitely a personality issue. Even the haters know Jack deserves a call up.

I see Southgate as someone who sees is position as England Coach as a military position. He wears a waistcoat like some sort of fashion symbol. Probably all pals with the big lads and treats the youngsters like babies in the squad. I'm sure when he goes home and walks through the door, he bypasses his fam to adjust the tie in the mirror, before proceeding with handshakes and exchanging of flags. 

Interesting what Lee Hendrie said with regards to falling out with Southgate all the time....I bet Grealish reminds him of Hendrie. Personality wise.

16 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

It's most definitely a personality issue. Even the haters know Jack deserves a call up.

I see Southgate as someone who sees is position as England Coach as a military position. He wears a waistcoat like some sort of fashion symbol. Probably all pals with the big lads and treats the youngsters like babies in the squad. I'm sure when he goes home and walks through the door, he bypasses his fam to adjust the tie in the mirror, before proceeding with handshakes and exchanging of flags. 

Interesting what Lee Hendrie said with regards to falling out with Southgate all the time....I bet Grealish reminds him of Hendrie. Personality wise.

The problem with attacking Southgate it adds fuel to a campaign of perceived bias on our part.....it dilutes our case.

personally, I will detract from criticising Southgate, after all, its opinions.....and bang the drum for Jack's case.

I think the tragedy for Jack is, popular consent, could also work against him.....if Southgate has a bee in his bonnet, it will be very difficult to legitimately remove it.

Edited by TRO

37 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Probably not the example to use in any discussion but Stan Collymore also had several run ins with southgate. I think it's quite feasible that southgate just doesn't like Jack, he may not like his attitude, the way he conducts himself and that is why he wont pick him. Happens all the time at a club level, difference there players just get moved onto another club. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

If Jack plays any better.....Brazil will try and find a long lost Granny.

Or he can marry a Brazilian get his Brazilian documents and start setting them up for Neymar et Al. I think he'd be better off with either France or Spain. Even Ze Germans would suit his game (shudders).

Edit - I think Jack has actually reinvented an old position. It says LW on the team sheet but his most dangerous play is from the left inside forward position. So he's a LiF lol.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

BBC football daily, did a talk about Jack earlier in the week. Hutton was on, really bugged up Jack saying how hard he works and what extra he brings. Every other speaker agreed that Jack should be in and gives England something else. 

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I don't think Jack is a CAM or a CM.

He's main asset is his dribbling and getting past players. He get more into the game on the left.

I actually think it's his perfectly weighted passes are his best attribute, hence I prefer him as a CAM. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I actually think it's his perfectly weighted passes are his best attribute, hence I prefer him as a CAM. 

17/18 season as a CAM he was magnificent. When he has 2 excellent wingers on either side of him he causes carnage. 18/19 as a CM he was also very good, but he was better as a winger in 19/20. For me, he's a CAM but almost as good as a left winger/inside forward so I'm perfectly fine if we decide he's our first choice there. Won't be finding many better players to play there.

• Like 1

Â