The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

I can't imagine Southgate having a good reason not to pick grealish tomorrow. He was nominated for both premier league player and young player of the year awards - if that doesn't prove his credentials, nothing will. 

I half expect Mings and maybe Targett getting call ups too due to player injuries and bribing greek police officers. 

I think he'll get called up if I'm honest.

It's impossible to ignore him.

I'm obviously not English but it would be a farce.

That being said, he has come on leaps and bounds as a senior, and player and I'm sure they will recognise this.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Realistically, grealish, ings, and antonio should be getting called up. All forward players at non big 6 clubs. We shall see.

I wouldn't pick Antonio, just because he's 30 and has just had one purple patch of like 5 games, even though he was unplayable those 5 games. Ings has to get a call up. Dunk too with Mags getting into scraps in Greece. I'd like to see Mings and Gomez start at the back.   

4 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

i also think some people dont realise how important tomorrows announcement is in terms of jack having his head turned.

Cue jack not getting in and GS calling up lingard, hudson odoi, delph etc

Agreed, I think if he doesn't get picked, I'll be convinced Southgate is trying to force him to move 😂

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think he'll get called up if I'm honest.

It's impossible to ignore him.

I'm obviously not English but it would be a farce.

That being said, he has come on leaps and bounds as a senior, and play and I'm sure they will recognise this.

I hope so. I said this last time, and he was ignored 😥 so I'm not getting too excited

1 hour ago, SeanVilla said:

I wouldn't pick Antonio, just because he's 30 and has just had one purple patch of like 5 games, even though he was unplayable those 5 games. Ings has to get a call up. Dunk too with Mags getting into scraps in Greece. I'd like to see Mings and Gomez start at the back.   

Antonio has been unlucky with England to be honest. 2016 Big Sam picked him, rated him, then got the boot immediately. Southgate has picked him a few times and he has always had to withdraw with injury. Agree with you now it’s hard to see him establishing much of an international career... but still wouldn’t surprise me to see him in and no Jack.

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I would prefer to see an announcement of a new contract than an England call up to be honest. 

That would make a statement. 

Both and then a big signing too. That would get the party started. 

I wouldn’t be massively surprised if Grealish wasn’t selected for England today. It’d be a farce, of course, but I honestly wouldn’t put it beyond Southgate to overlook him. The England set up can (and has been) be used to unsettle players, convincing some that they need to move to further their international ambitions. I think there’s plenty of ppl in the game that would like Jack Grealish away from Aston Villa FC. 

I think even if he is selected he might not play

southgate would not know what to do with a ball carrying midfielder, not interested in it, forget the running, passing, possession stats, how quick can he get the ball out to sterling, Sancho and Kane? that's all he wants from a midfielder

• Like 1

The only reason he wouldn't get picked is his off field behaviour but that incident during lockdown was nearly 6 months ago now. Plus Maguire, Walker and a few others in the England squad have since arguably behaved worse. 

If we're picking on talent and form he gets in 100% and should even be starting. Contributed 14 goals last season and can dribble and create like no other player in the squad imo. 

And to show lack of bias from a non-Villa perspective, Ings, Foden, Greenwood and Ward Prowse should be in. Especially Ings whose form was absolutely outstanding last season. I'm also a big fan of Foden. Mings I'm not too sure about but he can play out from the back unlike some of the Sheff U and Burnley defenders, plus he's left footed. 

Grealish has to be in though and I'm pretty sure he will be or it will be scandalous. Some saying it's hard for him because he plays on the left wing for us, but he's actually really good in the 8 position and that's where he should start for England (or number 10 if Southgate plays a suitable formation). He doesn't get as many assists or goals there but he can dictate the game in that position and will see plenty of the ball which will suit him.

51 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I wouldn’t be massively surprised if Grealish wasn’t selected for England today. It’d be a farce, of course, but I honestly wouldn’t put it beyond Southgate to overlook him. The England set up can (and has been) be used to unsettle players, convincing some that they need to move to further their international ambitions. I think there’s plenty of ppl in the game that would like Jack Grealish away from Aston Villa FC. 

Tyrone Mings dipped in form after he was called up.

We as a club should get on the blower and tell Southgate you're not using the English Messi for any games unless it's in tournaments.

On 23/08/2020 at 12:59, Delphinho123 said:

Be hilarious if Foden gets in ahead of him. 

And by hilarious, I mean, f***** mental. Grealish shouldn’t just be in the squad, he should be one of the first names on the team sheet. 

I fully expect him to be picked on Tuesday, I’m just extremely worried that if he doesn’t, it’s another reason to move to one of the top teams.

Like it or not, Southgate might have a huge say in whether Jack stays or leaves us. 

Foden is a fantastic talent and deserves a call up, but so does Jack obviously. Don't see why both can't be in. 

I'd build the England team around both Foden and Jack to be honest. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's left out.  Two main reasons - firstly, the lockdown incident.  Yes, it was a while ago now, but it was still really really bad imo.  Secondly - for most of the period post lockdown, he wasn't anywhere near his best.  He grabbed the headlines on the last day, but was otherwise below par for the month or so below that.

I hope he is picked as I think he is clearly good enough (despite recent form), but it feels like Southgate has doubts, and the above could be easy reasons he uses to leave him out.

incidents is shakey ground for southgate, im guessing maguire is out anyway due to the longer season (but then are rashford and greenwood too?)

walker and alli both got themselves in to a spot of bother, rice and mount (and maybe hudon odoi?) both had their wrists slapped 

6 minutes ago, mrjc said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's left out.  Two main reasons - firstly, the lockdown incident.  Yes, it was a while ago now, but it was still really really bad imo.  Secondly - for most of the period post lockdown, he wasn't anywhere near his best.  He grabbed the headlines on the last day, but was otherwise below par for the month or so below that.

I hope he is picked as I think he is clearly good enough (despite recent form), but it feels like Southgate has doubts, and the above could be easy reasons he uses to leave him out.

You see that's why I think he will get called up. The off pitch incidents is almost a tradition amongs the English national team. And he didn't get called up when he was arguably the best player in the league earlier in the season, but those who were off pace were called up, so I suspect he will get called up now. It makes perfect sense in the world of the FA. 

• Like 1

Â