The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

42 minutes ago, joey55 said:

Yes I thought about it all, that's why I made the post. The kind of club that can afford Grealish are in the very few that will be spending this summer. Utd's profits are so huge that Covid isn't going to hold them back. That means you will have an advantage in the market you've not had in the past. It seems as if you are suggesting there will be little activity because of Covid, so how does that help you, as the status quo means another struggle for Villa? In the past when you've sold you best players the conditions haven't been as advantageous to you as they will be this window, when the clubs that usually would be competing with you for transfers are going to struggling. 

I'm  pretty sure the Bale transfer was not in your clubs favour. Apart from Erikkson you bought a bunch of flops. And I'm sorry but Bale is / was better than him. 

There's no way we'd sell him after the season started imo so this idea of Man. United thinking we'd drop the price would be wide of the mark. Unless they're going to get Rashford and Maguire to unsettle him on international duty in early September....

Would be insane pressure to have to find a replacement for him in a week if we lost him in mid September so I simply can't see that being a scenario at all.

1 hour ago, joey55 said:

The point i'm making is that ultimately and more likely sooner, rather than later, you are going to have to sell Grealish and that this window is uniquely advantageous time to do so. The financial might you'll possess in this window will be much greater, simply because other clubs aren't going to be able to compete. Some good players are going to be up for grabs, that pre covid, I wouldn't have seen going to Villa, that now I could. 

I'm a Spurs fan and we've sold Carrick, Berbatov, Modric and Bale. Yet we continued to progress, despite set backs for a season here and there. Let's be honest, if we hadn't had CL football for the previous 4 seasons and been towards the top of the league, had I told you Kane would stay, you'd have all called me delusional. Most Spurs fans would have conjured up narratives saying that if we "show ambition" or "make him captain of his the club he came through" and will be persuaded to stay. But all non Spurs fans would have said we were being totally delusional. The same is true for your fans with Grealish. He's so good, he needs to be playing in the CL and winning titles. I think he should replace David Silva at City and if I were Pep he's who I'd want to sign. If I was Klopp I'd spend all of Liverpool's budget on him. I'd rather buy him than Sancho at Utd. 

I get why you all want him to stay, but I think your hearts are ruling your heads here. The conditions for spending the money will never be as favourable to you as they are now. 

Blimey Joey a blast from the past! How are you doing?

It's interesting as I wonder what you think about the Kane situation? Like Jack he's on a long term deal but I really think in 12 months time he's going to have a major decision on his career.  Bit like Van Persie at Arsenal all those years back. Difficult to see Spurs doing much next season bar qualifying for the europa league again and he'll be 28. Lots of top strikers at the european clubs will have strikers in their mid 30s (Aguero, Suarez, Ronaldo, Lewa) so I can see a fair bit of movement. Add in Spurs losing the NFL games and all the crowds and having a shiny new stadium to continue to pay for and feels like you'll be in a similar situation unless he's ultra loyal and just decides to do a Shearer (and he'd already won a league title when he joined Newcastle).

Edited by VillaChris
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Blimey Joey a blast from the past! How are you doing?

It's interesting as I wonder what you think about the Kane situation? Like Jack he's on a long term deal but I really think in 12 months time he's going to have a major decision on his career.  Bit like Van Persie at Arsenal all those years back. Difficult to see Spurs doing much next season bar qualifying for the europa league again and he'll be 28. Lots of top strikers at the european clubs will have strikers in their mid 30s (Aguero, Suarez, Ronaldo, Lewa) so I can see a fair bit of movement. Add in Spurs losing the NFL games and all the crowds and having a shiny new stadium to continue to pay for and feels like you'll be in a similar situation unless he's ultra loyal and just decides to do a Shearer (and he'd already won a league title when he joined Newcastle).

Shearer was a shadow of the player was, when he joined Newcastle. Serious knee injuries had taken their toll.

4 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Shearer was a shadow of the player was, when he joined Newcastle. Serious knee injuries had taken their toll.

He'd just been joint top scorer at euro 96. Think he was a year younger than Kane.

25 league goals for Newcastle in 96/97 when no one was scoring 30-40 a season like Ronaldo and Messi do now.

36 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Maybe best not to quote things from the Sunday Mirror as if they're facts! 😁

Ugh, didn’t realise it was the Mirror but there’s enough to suggest we’re willing to spend a decent wedge.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I'm  pretty sure the Bale transfer was not in your clubs favour. Apart from Erikkson you bought a bunch of flops. And I'm sorry but Bale is / was better than him. 

I disagree. They sold an injury-prone player for £90m, which is about £180m+ in today's market and over the next couple of seasons bought Eriksen, Lamela, Dier, Alli, Alderweireld, Trippier and Son for pretty much the same amount. Soldado was the big flop who cost them money (~10m loss I think) but most of the other flops were sold on at similar price.

The big difference is Spurs could afford to spend 2-3 seasons reinvesting the Bale cash and allowing a new team to gel without getting relegated.

If a club comes in for Grealish at a crazy valuation, then off he goes, thank you for your service. We'll have to invest that cash quickly, and there's a fair chance we'll be in the relegation zone while the new team gels. But hopefully the extra investment in the front 3 and midfield will see us reach mid table by the end of the season.

But if a club comes in at market value, I don't see how that benefits us, because we won't be able to replace his quality with that cash in such a short window.

2 hours ago, joey55 said:

The point i'm making is that ultimately and more likely sooner, rather than later, you are going to have to sell Grealish and that this window is uniquely advantageous time to do so. The financial might you'll possess in this window will be much greater, simply because other clubs aren't going to be able to compete. Some good players are going to be up for grabs, that pre covid, I wouldn't have seen going to Villa, that now I could. 

I'm a Spurs fan and we've sold Carrick, Berbatov, Modric and Bale. Yet we continued to progress, despite set backs for a season here and there. Let's be honest, if we hadn't had CL football for the previous 4 seasons and been towards the top of the league, had I told you Kane would stay, you'd have all called me delusional. Most Spurs fans would have conjured up narratives saying that if we "show ambition" or "make him captain of his the club he came through" and will be persuaded to stay. But all non Spurs fans would have said we were being totally delusional. The same is true for your fans with Grealish. He's so good, he needs to be playing in the CL and winning titles. I think he should replace David Silva at City and if I were Pep he's who I'd want to sign. If I was Klopp I'd spend all of Liverpool's budget on him. I'd rather buy him than Sancho at Utd. 

I get why you all want him to stay, but I think your hearts are ruling your heads here. The conditions for spending the money will never be as favourable to you as they are now. 

What you’re saying makes a lot of sense, but mainly from an accountants point of view. It’s all well and good playing in the CL and making loads of money if that funds a team that actually wins trophies. You’ve sold many top players, played in the CL and built a shiny new stadium all great on the balance sheet but try bouncing your grandchildren on your knee and telling them of the party you had when you finished third or the time you made a fortune on Gareth Bale. 

Football is a business and money is very important. However ultimately it’s still a sport and without a trophy now and then or at least the odd day out at a final to bank in your memory it’s all just a bit sterile really. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KMitch said:

Benteke should be the cautionary tale for Jack and the huge reason why he should stay...  Benteke was an absolute monster for us and arguably World Class at times.  He singlehandedly kept us in the Premier League for 3 seasons because our owner would not invest in the squad.  In his last season for Villa, he won more aerial duels than any other striker in the top 5 European Leagues, then went to Rogers' Liverpool, which set records for crossing the ball the least by a Liverpool team that exact same season.  He was a square peg in a round hole and never was going to hit the ground running.  His productivity dropped, he was benched, the Scouse fans got on his back, and the next thing you know, he's off to Palace, looking like a shadow of his former self.  The same thing will happen to Jack at ManUre and before you know it, he'll be struggling at Everton, jaded, not caring about anything other than his next check.

Stay at Villa, like James Ward-Prowse at Southampton, captain your boyhood club, be a legend who will be remembered for all time, and tell Gareth Southgate to do one.  The next England manager won't be as stupid to keep ignoring him forever.  

Benteke still maintained a 1 in 3 strike rate for them even though he mostly came off the bench and had a brutal injury twice. Benteke was still top class for them he just didn't fit their style especially with klopp. 

3 hours ago, Mark_1989 said:

Listened to a few pods with Gregg Evans lurking in them. He seems determined to want our best players sold. He’s doing his best to talk Man City into getting Dougie back. Think the guy is a bit of a chump tbh.

I like him and tbh I think he just answers the questions how he thinks people want them to be answered rather than giving his honest opinion. True journalist, tailoring his rhetoric depending on the publisher. 

I used to like Tifo and they do good podcasts occasionally, but then they also do ones like today where you've got their "expert" talking about whether Reina will be good enough for Villa next year in the Prem when he's not even our player and sounding like he's just rattling stats off whoscored because he forgot to do his homework. 

Gregg did try to answer all the questions but they were all very much done to death questions that he had no answers for and just said what's been said on this site a thousand times over.

Is Grealish good enough to play at the top level? Yes

Does he want to move on and test himself? Probably / maybe / I don't know I'm not Grealish

Where would he move to? - Here's a random list of teams in the champions league, pick one and see if they've got £80mil spare. (He actually mentioned Grealish suiting teams like Chelsea or Arsenal, or going abroad)

What about Douglas Luiz? Well he's at Villa and he has a buy-back clause which City could activate. Will they? Maybe but probably not, he's unlikely to get a visa but if he could and did he would barely play until Fernandinho retires at which point he'd have played little to no football and his value would have dropped

• Thanks 1

Tifo show the limits of what can be done with a copy of Football Manager, a Wikipedia addiction and a subscription to a few tactics blogs. Ultimately they don’t know much more about football than any of us. Interesting when they’re talking about other clubs, but I never find their Villa coverage particularly eye opening.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Wonder if the preparation station sits beside the "Bid Launch" facility, right behind the "Set to Step up the chase" office.

4ag6u0.jpg

Edited by Ghost
image embed fix
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, joey55 said:

Just hear me out, constantly selling your best players means we will be fighting relegation forever, we need to keep Jack and build the team around him. It's that simple, we've always sold off our best players , Milner, Young etc..I'm actually sick of it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I disagree. They sold an injury-prone player for £90m, which is about £180m+ in today's market and over the next couple of seasons bought Eriksen, Lamela, Dier, Alli, Alderweireld, Trippier and Son for pretty much the same amount. Soldado was the big flop who cost them money (~10m loss I think) but most of the other flops were sold on at similar price.

The big difference is Spurs could afford to spend 2-3 seasons reinvesting the Bale cash and allowing a new team to gel without getting relegated.

If a club comes in for Grealish at a crazy valuation, then off he goes, thank you for your service. We'll have to invest that cash quickly, and there's a fair chance we'll be in the relegation zone while the new team gels. But hopefully the extra investment in the front 3 and midfield will see us reach mid table by the end of the season.

But if a club comes in at market value, I don't see how that benefits us, because we won't be able to replace his quality with that cash in such a short window.

They spent all the Bale cash in the first season on the likes of Capoue, Chadli, Chriches, Lamela (who is average), Soldado was 37m. The good thing about Levy is that he quickly identifies a player that isn't good enough and moves them on quickly. Which allows the club to get most of the money back, and much of the fees they agree involve various performance related fees. Also where are spurs now? Midtable mediocrity again! Why? Because they Weren't able to keep their second best player! Their best CB's are old and one wants to leave! The fullbacks they have signed have been average as the one good one was sold to Man City. And the lovely new stadium means that they have to sell to buy for the most part!

• Like 2

Â