The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

2 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

In the new Tifo podcast. Its not very good frankly and Gregg just said that in a throwaway moment. It was very much "I hear he is staying unless Villa get in a big bid from a top club" which is true for any player.

But it was also very clear Gregg was not claiming to be idk or anything. Just answering the inevitable question that people outside Villa seem to think its important.

He also said it was an amazing time to be a Villa fan as the owners are going to keep on investing. But I guess that doesnt count as news :)

Listened to a few pods with Gregg Evans lurking in them. He seems determined to want our best players sold. He’s doing his best to talk Man City into getting Dougie back. Think the guy is a bit of a chump tbh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Not sure selling your best player is progressing

The point i'm making is that ultimately and more likely sooner, rather than later, you are going to have to sell Grealish and that this window is uniquely advantageous time to do so. The financial might you'll possess in this window will be much greater, simply because other clubs aren't going to be able to compete. Some good players are going to be up for grabs, that pre covid, I wouldn't have seen going to Villa, that now I could. 

I'm a Spurs fan and we've sold Carrick, Berbatov, Modric and Bale. Yet we continued to progress, despite set backs for a season here and there. Let's be honest, if we hadn't had CL football for the previous 4 seasons and been towards the top of the league, had I told you Kane would stay, you'd have all called me delusional. Most Spurs fans would have conjured up narratives saying that if we "show ambition" or "make him captain of his the club he came through" and will be persuaded to stay. But all non Spurs fans would have said we were being totally delusional. The same is true for your fans with Grealish. He's so good, he needs to be playing in the CL and winning titles. I think he should replace David Silva at City and if I were Pep he's who I'd want to sign. If I was Klopp I'd spend all of Liverpool's budget on him. I'd rather buy him than Sancho at Utd. 

I get why you all want him to stay, but I think your hearts are ruling your heads here. The conditions for spending the money will never be as favourable to you as they are now. 

16 minutes ago, joey55 said:

I get why you all want him to stay, but I think your hearts are ruling your heads here. The conditions for spending the money will never be as favourable to you as they are now. 

In a global pandemic with a massively truncated close season?

Why are you here?

We've sold our best player before and it got us relegated. Grealish carried us at times just like Benteke did. We're in a very delicate position. We don't have the squad you had when you sold all the players you listed and nobody knows how the pandemic is going to affect the transfer market. Plus, surviving by the skin of your teeth and selling your best player isn't really a great sell to prospective players, particularly in...a global pandemic. 

Did you think about any of that?

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

Genuinely think the covid pandemic has curtailed spending by all this season, some real prudence is taking place. Back Feb we’d quoted £80m as sale price and that isn’t budging at all. United we’re fine but thought we’d drop and they’d pay £50m. 

Covid has happened and everyone’s a bit reluctant to spend so we’ve priced him out the move, United at this point want him to start playing up, Jack won’t do that to us because it’s Villa (although if the bid comes in he’s off). I think we’ll give a date ultimatum to United within the next week or so as we need to plan ourselves. 

we’re in a situation where we could see him not leave when he’s virtually out the door because others won’t spend the £20m difference we see in his value twice (first being Spurs as that was done bar actual signing)

34 minutes ago, Rolta said:

In a global pandemic with a massively truncated close season?

Why are you here?

We've sold our best player before and it got us relegated. Grealish carried us at times just like Benteke did. We're in a very delicate position. We don't have the squad you had when you sold all the players you listed and nobody knows how the pandemic is going to affect the transfer market. Plus, surviving by the skin of your teeth and selling your best player isn't really a great sell to prospective players, particularly in...a global pandemic. 

Did you think about any of that?

Yes I thought about it all, that's why I made the post. The kind of club that can afford Grealish are in the very few that will be spending this summer. Utd's profits are so huge that Covid isn't going to hold them back. That means you will have an advantage in the market you've not had in the past. It seems as if you are suggesting there will be little activity because of Covid, so how does that help you, as the status quo means another struggle for Villa? In the past when you've sold you best players the conditions haven't been as advantageous to you as they will be this window, when the clubs that usually would be competing with you for transfers are going to struggling. 

3 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

In the new Tifo podcast. Its not very good frankly and Gregg just said that in a throwaway moment. It was very much "I hear he is staying unless Villa get in a big bid from a top club" which is true for any player.

But it was also very clear Gregg was not claiming to be idk or anything. Just answering the inevitable question that people outside Villa seem to think its important.

He also said it was an amazing time to be a Villa fan as the owners are going to keep on investing. But I guess that doesnt count as news :)

Typical Man U fan then, twisted bullshit logic

• Like 1

8 hours ago, joey55 said:

From a non Villa perspective, if I were you I'd want him sold now. I think you have to recognise that as fans you'll have an emotional attachment to him, as he's your star player and the fact he's one of your own. But realistically, surely you must all recognise that his long term future isn't at Villa and therefore now is the perfect time to sell him, as due to Covid the disparity in the market is greater than ever. 

There is a very small group of Prem elite clubs, for whom covid isn't going to impact their transfer activity and the fact they are the one's currently spending has made it seem as if the market hasn't been as effected as it has. Grealish will go to one of the Manchester clubs in my opinion and they can both spend as if Covid hasn't happened. But they are the exception, not the rule. The rest of the Prem are soon going to have to recognise that when not dealing with those clubs, prices are going to have to deflate and quite dramatically. So any club that gets to sell to one of the Manchester clubs, is at a tremendous advantage.

If you took £70 million from City, for Grealish, to get it done quickly, rather than try and drag it out for £80 million, I think it would benefit you greatly, as you'll be one of the few clubs that genuinely has decent money to spend and can actually pay upfront. You could probably sell Grealish and be able to buy Brooks, Eze and Zaha with the money. There is no way Villa, with your current status, could normally do that. Look at the average players you were able to attract last season. So many clubs are going to be strapped for cash, so anyone coming in with a cash deal, without loans or staged payments etc, will be king in this market. 

You've seen with Benteke, that trying to cling onto your prize asset is a thankless task in the long run. Trying to keep Gealish for another season or two, won't be as beneficial to you as selling him now, in my opinion. This is a buyers market and selling Grealish will allow you take advantage of that, in a way 80% of Prem clubs can't, so it's a fairly unique opportunity to rebuild your status quickly. You could easily buy 2 or 3, really exciting players to replace Grealish and I seriously doubt you'd be able to do the same in a more typical transfer window. 

Have you heard of our owners? They have quite a few quid between them and they’re ambitious, and competitive. If they deem an offer for Grealish as too good to turn down, that it’d further Villa’s prospects, then so be it. I’d trust them. But I’m pretty certain that Villa progressing won’t be reliant on a Grealish sale. These owners will know what they want to succeed, and money isn’t an issue that’ll get in the way. As a spurs fan you should know this, what with Levy offering 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps for Grealish around 2 years ago when probably £20m would have got him, but he pi55ed around trying to force a distressed sale until our new owners rolled in and Grealish signed a new contract. And we were a championship club then. Constantly selling your best players doesn’t move you forward, depending on how you define “moving forward”. Just over a decade ago Villa were finishing above Spurs quite often. Then we sold players such as Young, Milner, Barry, Benteke, etc. Ended up in the championship after pushing for top4. Look at it this way, if our owners bankroll another summer spree of circa £150m, then what’s to say we wouldn’t then have the players to compliment Jack Grealish and jump up the league places? Anything is possible. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joey55 said:

The point i'm making is that ultimately and more likely sooner, rather than later, you are going to have to sell Grealish and that this window is uniquely advantageous time to do so. The financial might you'll possess in this window will be much greater, simply because other clubs aren't going to be able to compete. Some good players are going to be up for grabs, that pre covid, I wouldn't have seen going to Villa, that now I could. 

I'm a Spurs fan and we've sold Carrick, Berbatov, Modric and Bale. Yet we continued to progress, despite set backs for a season here and there. Let's be honest, if we hadn't had CL football for the previous 4 seasons and been towards the top of the league, had I told you Kane would stay, you'd have all called me delusional. Most Spurs fans would have conjured up narratives saying that if we "show ambition" or "make him captain of his the club he came through" and will be persuaded to stay. But all non Spurs fans would have said we were being totally delusional. The same is true for your fans with Grealish. He's so good, he needs to be playing in the CL and winning titles. I think he should replace David Silva at City and if I were Pep he's who I'd want to sign. If I was Klopp I'd spend all of Liverpool's budget on him. I'd rather buy him than Sancho at Utd. 

But we (apparently) have earmarked £100m to spend whether we sell him or not.

There is absolutely no benefit to club in selling the man that almost single handedly kept us up.  The player may desire it but we’ll wait until that is clearly indicated.  The consolation prize for him is captaining the club he has been at since the age of 6 that he and his entire family also happen to avidly support.

Offer him £100k/week for 5 years. Insert a cheeky £100m but out clause. We need to keep him. I am sick of us selling our best players. We have been busy fools for years looking for the next best thing whilst selling anything half decent that we already own. Please stop

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark_1989 said:

Listened to a few pods with Gregg Evans lurking in them. He seems determined to want our best players sold. He’s doing his best to talk Man City into getting Dougie back. Think the guy is a bit of a chump tbh.

He’s a boyhood Baggies fan 

1 hour ago, joey55 said:

The flipside is that replacing Grealish in this transfer window is going to be impossible, and we have loads of other areas of the squad that need fixing urgently.

If he stays it's a huge statement of intent from the owners which will attract other players to the club, and help keep talent like Douglas Luiz and John McGinn.

I get the Spurs examples, but none of them is really the same. Bale is probably closest, but he had a much better team around him, and he was going for insane cash to Real Madrid who are always up for overpaying on a Galactico. If Utd offer us £100m then fine. But if it's £50-60m what do we really gain from that transaction? We lose the heartbeat of the team at pretty much market value, and then have to try and replace his influence somehow in a few weeks?

The closest parallel is Zaha at Palace, or perhaps Gerrard at Liverpool further back, where the team is really built around one player, and you really just want to start buying players a bit closer to them in ability and kicking on.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

But we (apparently) have earmarked £100m to spend whether we sell him or not.

There is absolutely no benefit to club in selling the man that almost single handedly kept us up.  The player may desire it but we’ll wait until that is clearly indicated.  The consolation prize for him is captaining the club he has been at since the age of 6 that he and his entire family also happen to avidly support.

Maybe best not to quote things from the Sunday Mirror as if they're facts! 😁

46 minutes ago, joey55 said:

That means you will have an advantage in the market you've not had in the past. It seems as if you are suggesting there will be little activity because of Covid, so how does that help you, as the status quo means another struggle for Villa? In the past when you've sold you best players the conditions haven't been as advantageous to you as they will be this window, when the clubs that usually would be competing with you for transfers are going to struggling. 

It's not really an advantage if the market has stifled because of the...global pandemic. We'll just get taken advantage of because everyone will know we have a lot of money. But the main problem is we need 3/4/5 top players to avoid another relegation battle even if we keep Jack. Getting those numbers in at the necessary quality is not going to be easy in the...global pandemic. If we lose Jack too we need even more, which is even harder in the...global pandemic.

You say you thought about it all, but as far as I can tell, you really haven't thought about much at all. You seem to have just decided we're all wrong and you're self-justifying. You also ignored what I mentioned about the weakness of our team in comparison to the Spurs teams in your example. We also have something like the 3rd/4th richest owners in the UK—we have money to spend without selling Jack. Considering there's a...global pandemic, we desperately need to guarantee some quality to add to the bare amount of quality we currently have. We don't need to sell Jack to do that. As Wainy says above, we have money to spend on players. The last thing we need is a massive turnover.

Sure, Spurs, with better players in their squad and a more balanced squad sold Bale and built a little bit. But it also didn't work out that way for about two seasons. If we take a step back next year, we get relegated. Also, I imagine Spurs when they sold Bale didn't make 12 signings the season before having had to replace 3/4 of a squad having got promoted. The comparisons you make are plain bad.

But anyway why are you even here again?

Gah my edits added some repetition there, but you get the point.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark_1989 said:

Big time grates on him Villa doing well, it's funny.

No wonder he's trying to move Grealish and Luiz on with baggies promoted.

2 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Gah don't quote things from the Sunday Mirror as if they're facts! Surely we all know this?

It's not really an advantage if the market has stifled because of the...global pandemic. We'll just get taken advantage of because everyone will know we have a lot of money. But the main problem is we need 3/4/5 top players to avoid another relegation battle even if we keep Jack. Getting those numbers in at the necessary quality is not going to be easy in the...global pandemic. If we lose Jack too we need even more, which is even harder in the...global pandemic.

You say you thought about it all, but as far as I can tell, you really haven't thought about much at all. You also ignored what I mentioned about the weakness of our team in comparison to the Spurs teams in your example.

But anyway why are you even here again?

Nothing like opposition fans coming onto our forum to "politely" tell us what is best for us as a club.

Whilst backhandedly flexing the "superiority". 

• Like 1

Â