The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

I can't just be me that hasn't been too impressed with his cameos so far can it? Yes he looks like he has some skill but his passing and decision making have been subpar. I'm going to put that down to nerves which is totally understandable however and i'm sure he'll become more comfortable. He looks a long way away from starting a game for me.

That's not to say he can't be a good player for us by the way. I'm just not seeing why people are losing their shit over his two brief appearances. 

I think we're using Jack perfectly at the moment. Second half sub to draw fouls and rack up cards for the opposition. After 10 or so appearances like that under his belt it might be time to consider a start here and there

• Like 3

I can't just be me that hasn't been too impressed with his cameos so far can it? Yes he looks like he has some skill but his passing and decision making have been subpar. I'm going to put that down to nerves which is totally understandable however and i'm sure he'll become more comfortable. He looks a long way away from starting a game for me.

That's not to say he can't be a good player for us by the way. I'm just not seeing why people are losing their shit over his two brief appearances. 

I've got to be honest, I don't think you're watching him properly. I keep hearing nerves, but that's not what I'm seeing at all. His confidence levels are ridiculous considering.

Explain the use of the word "subpar" there to me? Because frankly I have absolutely no idea what you mean by that. He tries things, they don't always come off but he should never lose that. The boy is magical, he's going to make it. 

• Like 2

He's fearless. Oozes confidence. Not afraid to take one for the team. Had a nice one-two with Delph at the end. Exciting cameo today.

Not for the first time I saw a kid who didn't want to shoot in case he got a bollocking during that move. When he cut  inside and had it on his right there was a goal there for him, but instead he chose to offload it to Delph. Not the wrong call by any stretch, but I think a Jack Grealish with a bit more confidence takes that shot on

• Like 2

He's fearless. Oozes confidence. Not afraid to take one for the team. Had a nice one-two with Delph at the end. Exciting cameo today.

Not for the first time I saw a kid who didn't want to shoot in case he got a bollocking during that move. When he cut  inside and had it on his right there was a goal there for him, but instead he chose to offload it to Delph. Not the wrong call by any stretch, but I think a Jack Grealish with a bit more confidence takes that shot on

Agreed, but that will come with match time.

Didn't his brother talk about that he needed to be more selfish or am I just making that up (genuinely not sure about that)? Maybe he's just the kind of player that looks for the pass rather than the shot.

Looked very confident to me.

and there was the tim before when Delph did shoot when he should have passed it to Grealish

• Like 1

I've got to be honest, I don't think you're watching him properly. I keep hearing nerves, but that's not what I'm seeing at all. His confidence levels are ridiculous considering.

Explain the use of the word "subpar" there to me? Because frankly I have absolutely no idea what you mean by that. He tries things, they don't always come off but he should never lose that. The boy is magical, he's going to make it. 

In the game against Stoke he under-hit a few passes and looked to pass it rather than take people on. You could see Delph go over to him and tell him not to be scared and take his man on. There was an instance in which he should've played in N'Zogbia (I think) but chose the wrong pass. Again, understandable considering that was his first taste of action and we were protecting a lead. 

Today he was better. I think one or two of the cards he drew were maybe down to miscontrol but that doesn't really matter. He teased the opposition into diving in and the reverse pass at the end was sublime.  He looked a bit more comfortable and wanted the ball a bit more. Unfortunately he also almost cost a goal when he played a poor ball to someone (I think it was Delph) on the right hand side and Hull were able to rob it and get a cross into the box as a result.

I like him and think he has potential, but it's important not to get too carried away with him and put too much pressure on him. Those calling for him to start are getting way ahead of themselves in my opinion.

Edited by adz.villa

That's not a lack of confidence, at least not according to his brother. It's just how he is, he has a tendency to overplay it but it's born of selflessness and a joy of playing the game. It was a lovely pass anyway and Delph should have done more with it IMO.

Didn't his brother talk about that he needed to be more selfish or am I just making that up (genuinely not sure about that)? Maybe he's just the kind of player that looks for the pass rather than the shot.

Looked very confident to me.

Yeah, Kev mentioned that. I think it was in the context of playing with Villa though, as opposed to Jack in general. I don't remember there being too much of an issue with decision making when he was in full swing at County last season. It'll come, and it's by no means a sleight on the player. I think he just needs to say feck it and take the shot next time he has a half chance. If it goes in, he'll be a hero and have all the confidence in the world, and if it doesn't, who cares, he won't be the first Villa player to miss an opportunity

• Like 2

In the game against Stoke he under-hit a few passes and looked to pass it rather than take people on. You could see Delph go over to him and tell him not to be scared and take his man on. There was an instance in which he should've played in N'Zogbia (I think) but chose the wrong pass. Again, understandable considering that was his first taste of action and we were protecting a lead. 

Today he was better. I think one or two of the cards he drew were maybe down to miscontrol but that doesn't really matter. He teased the opposition into diving in and the reverse pass at the end was sublime.  He looked a bit more comfortable and wanted the ball a bit more. Unfortunately he also almost cost a goal when he played a poor ball to someone (I think it was Delph) on the right hand side and Hull were able to rob it and get a cross into the box as a result.

I like him and think he has potential, but it's important not to get too carried away with him and put too much pressure on him. Those calling for him to start are getting way ahead of themselves in my opinion.

If anything I think you are looking for a bit too much from him yourself. The only way is decision making at the very top level will improve is with game time. 

I'm not looking for him to start by the way. 

That's not a lack of confidence, at least not according to his brother. It's just how he is, he has a tendency to overplay it but it's born of selflessness and a joy of playing the game. It was a lovely pass anyway and Delph should have done more with it IMO.

I do think it's a confidence thing, but not in the typical way we think of it. He's an incredibly confident player, he gets the ball and you know he thinks he can beat anyone. He also knows he can pick a ball. It's just when there's a chance for a shot it's as if he'd rather let someone else have a go. I don't think that comes down to him thinking someone else has a better chance or anything like that, I just think he's lacking that feeling that everything you hit is going to go into the back of the net.

He's not afraid, far from it.

Maybe confidence isn't the right word, maybe it's pure unwavering belief that everything he tries will work; that every shot will be a goal, every through ball will be an assist, every dribble will create a chance. All the greats have that, and it's what sets them apart. Not many players have it a Jack's age though. 

Once he scores, watch him turn into twice the player he is now -  and that's going to be incredible to have in our team

• Like 1

If anything I think you are looking for a bit too much from him yourself. The only way is decision making at the very top level will improve is with game time. 

I'm not looking for him to start by the way. 

I don't think so. An accurate ten yard pass is something which I expect all players who play for Villa to be able to execute. (Apart from Bent :))

I completely agree that he needs game time. He's obviously outgrown the academy and reserve sides and proven successful in the lower leagues 

I never said you did want him to start, I was just addressing those that do. Hopefully we an see a bit more of him though as he certainly has something different to offer.

Edited by adz.villa

Â