The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

@penguin thing is all the players you mentioned performed consistently in the PL.

I'm 42 and can remember Walters, Cowans, Daley, McInally, Atkinson, Saunders, Merson, Dublin, Angel, Mellberg and many more favourites of mine who consistently performed at the top level for many years.

Grealish looked better today and it was possibly his best performance since the restart. But as @nick76 says there were a few better against Palace than him.

However if Grealish can click with Luiz, McGinn, Trezeguet and Hourihane then we have a chance to fight against relegation. As hopefully these players are all finding some form now by the looks of it.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 2

That dive is one of those moments that will tarnish his reputation for years. He's already got a reputation for going down easily, and most of the time I'd argue that it's undeserved, but that was just a shameful attempt at cheating.

29 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Just trying to think whose played in that time for us.  Definitely isnt the best player I've seen in a Villa shirt and I'm 43

35 and it's between him and young for me with Jack getting the nod because he's a Villa boy 

Generational player at a time when we have been utter dogshit, we put the weight of our woes on this kid, imagine him in the teams gone by, would be considered even better 

38 year old. Saw the tail end of Cowan's. Yorke was special as was Atkinson. I have to say that Grealish is the most gifted. I loved Ginola for the short period we had him Schmiechal because he was a legend and to see his standards and championship winning mentality was brilliant. Benteke because he could have been a legend if only we had a few more players around him (sound familiar). Merson was a player. 

But the Daddy the Don is none other than Paul McGrath. The best defender in the Premier League ever. He is underrated. How many defenders win player of the year? Exactly.

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

35 and it's between him and young for me with Jack getting the nod because he's a Villa boy 

Generational player at a time when we have been utter dogshit, we put the weight of our woes on this kid, imagine him in the teams gone by, would be considered even better 

McGrath is my number one by a mile

Laursen and Mellberg I loved

Merse lived up to his name as the Magic Man, loved how he played

Yorkie was quality and was a really sad day when I was at Everton Away and realised he was signing for Man U, the way he played that day!  cant not love that smile and the way he played though.  I was bitter for a long time but forgiven now

Loved Angel, who is also Jack's hero

Platty as I go further back in time

I can keep going backwards but sometimes I think I remember players more fondly and forget their downsides the further back I go.

Jack has been quality in recent times but we've had nothing to compare him to though which is the biggest disappointment.  For me, he still has a very long way to go to be the best player I've seen in a Villa shirt but has the potential to be in the mix but looks like he wont be here for us to ever know.

57 minutes ago, penguin said:

Brilliant player, best I’ve seen in a Villa shirt in my lifetime.

But to make the step up he needs to release the ball quicker, the player he could potentially be working under someone like Pep would be frightening.

Is that you Graeme?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

That dive is one of those moments that will tarnish his reputation for years. He's already got a reputation for going down easily, and most of the time I'd argue that it's undeserved, but that was just a shameful attempt at cheating.

Was it not a penalty? Everybody at the bar i was in thought was certain penalty and the ref didn't book him for diving as far as im aware

I think the penalty was overturned as the **** idiot Moss on VAR made a balls of the Sakho goal. Can the Premier League not sack that fool

1 hour ago, penguin said:

Brilliant player, best I’ve seen in a Villa shirt in my lifetime.

But to make the step up he needs to release the ball quicker, the player he could potentially be working under someone like Pep would be frightening.

This might be controversial, but to me Benteke was better. Different player, sure, different position. Not as classy, perhaps not as gifted. But his impact on games was something else. Saying he kept us up single handedly three seasons running might be an overstatement, but only just. Shame to see what he has become, really (except for today, of course). 

In a better side Grealish might very well prove to be the better player, but for us I've got to give it to big ben

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Was it not a penalty? Everybody at the bar i was in thought was certain penalty and the ref didn't book him for diving as far as im aware

I think the penalty was overturned as the **** idiot Moss on VAR made a balls of the Sakho goal. Can the Premier League not sack that fool

It wasn't a penalty for the same reason Fernandes's shouldn't have been for treading in Konsa's foot (which is a farce in itself).  I think it was just given as a free kick to Palace rather than a dive.  Overall Jack was a bit better, I think we are too harsh on him because he set such high standards but he is human and capable of being low on confidence, fitness and/or form.  The rumours about him leaving don't help when it comes to people accusing him of not trying.  Hopefully he like the rest take confidence from today into the Everton and he pulls something special out the bag.

Even if Jack's foot had been stood on that's not a penalty, that contact does not do that to his body

I'll defend him on the diving when he does it because I think the majority of it is soft but shit defending where he's more intelligent than the defender but that today was embarrassing, salah and mane style contact is a foul magic knee buckling bull shit 

• Like 1

Couldn't watch the game live today but just saw some, admittedly dodgy, highlights. It was hard to ignore the apparent lack of emotion from Jack when we scored our goals. Now I'm not questioning his loyalty or desire for us to stay up but I wonder if in the back of his mind us going down would make his decision to leave more straightforward? I think if we did stay up, albeit by the skin of our teeth and having played as poor as we have throughout the season, it would still represent a big wrench for him to leave.

One thing is for sure, he is no captain.

Having said that, despite his attitude issues he's clearly an incredible player. The best I've seen in a Villa shirt and I won't forget him dragging us back into the Premiership.

1 minute ago, chips'ngravy said:

Couldn't watch the game live today but just saw some, admittedly dodgy, highlights. It was hard to ignore the apparent lack of emotion from Jack when we scored our goals. Now I'm not questioning his loyalty or desire for us to stay up but I wonder if in the back of his mind us going down would make his decision to leave more straightforward? I think if we did stay up, albeit by the skin of our teeth and having played as poor as we have throughout the season, it would still represent a big wrench for him to leave.

In fairness I think he was a bit confused that it was Trezeguet who scored the first. He definitely cared today and no lack of effort from him today

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

In fairness I think he was a bit confused that it was Trezeguet who scored the first. He definitely cared today and no lack of effort from him today

Don't get me wrong, not saying he doesn't care or isn't making an effort. Just wondering about the emotional side of it from his perspective. If we stay up he could probably still make an argument to stay with the club he loves. If we go down it's a no-brainer.

2 hours ago, mykeyb said:

All different players though. Grealish is not like any other player we have had. Closest maybe Merson and Jack's better than him.

Better than Merson? That's a huge statement tbh. Jack absolutely has the potential to be better than him, but so far he has had half a good season in the top tier, inconsistent in the championship until the drive to promotion.

Has looked amazing in patches this year. Merson was class for years and I still dream of the magic Man years. Absolutely love the Merse. Not quite sure that we can say with absolutely certainty that Jack is better than Merson

Edited by ramshackler
  • Like 1

Â