The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

4 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

Also worth noting that the 2nd-6th most fouled players includes Zaha, Maddison, Jota, Ayew, Traore. Surely not all of these are too slow and hold on to the ball too much. Maybe they're just....good?

This.

He absolutely tries to draw fouls and keeps the ball longer than is ideal.

No doubt thou had we had better movement and patterns with his teammates and more of them showing for the ball he would have gotten rid of the ball earlier and been fouled less often.

We have a static team and pretty much only Grealish who can create space. All teams knows this and close him down and try to foul him as soon as he gets the ball

• Like 1

For me the only problem with Jack is that our wingers & strikers are so dire that despite anything he does it seldom results in anything regards goals. Unless he scores himself which is difficult as he is so well marked. But the fact that our forward players are so horribly unproductive and very rarely actually threaten let alone take a chance means it is just far too easy for opposition teams to free up 2 or 3 players to mark him out. Hence the crazy number of free kicks as he is usually surrounded. If our forwards offered a decent alternative threat to Grealish opposition teams would not be able to spare quite so many players to surround him with which would equate to a few less free kicks too in my view.

Sadly i really do not rate any of our forwards

Elghazi - seldom turns up and is not quite quick enough / lazy

Trez - a rabbit but not Prem quality whatsoever.

Davies - Heskey (Never score) MK 11,  Awful finisher and no strikers instinct which is a shame as he is strong.

Wesley - Too slow and awful in the air for a big guy.

Samatta - Appears to be our best header of the ball but lacks the physicality of Davies so is easily knocked off it in the box at corners etc and is too slow to be much of a threat otherwise.  Early days still though maybe he'll prove me wrong.

Is there actually anyone else??

A shocking bunch of forwards for a Premier League team. Could you see any of them even on the bench at a top half club?

We lack aerial  ability, pace & fox in the box /strikers instinct...No wonder our strikers barely score.

As for Jack how on Earth do you play in someone who lacks pace, aerial ability and rarely makes the right run in the box? Even if they do they usually fluff it with a poor shot.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

Also worth noting that the 2nd-6th most fouled players includes Zaha, Maddison, Jota, Ayew, Traore. Surely not all of these are too slow and hold on to the ball too much. Maybe they're just....good?

Im pretty sure Souness was hinting that he is a diver. If was a foreigner like Pogba, Kean or Martial he would have said it

As for Souness saying as a hardman he would love to play vs Grealish. The tackles Grealish takes and gets up makes him more of a football hardman than some of the cowardly tackles that Souness or other so called hardmen made

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Maybe we can use the money wisely and build a stronger team in the future. 

Maybe is an impossible word for us in that Scenario.

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

I thought it was an interesting view but I dont think it explains totally why he is fouled so much.  We're nothing without an in form Grealish. Hes the reason we haven t got the worst points total ever in the Premier League. Maybe we can use the money wisely and build a stronger team in the future. 

Agreed, the other part of the equation is his willingness to throw himself to the floor.

He’s obviously the best footballer at the club, hence why he’ll be the only one to move on to a bigger and better team once this season is done. 

But other teams have sold their best player and moved onwards from it, I think we’ll be the same.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Im pretty sure Souness was hinting that he is a diver. If was a foreigner like Pogba, Kean or Martial he would have said it

As for Souness saying as a hardman he would love to play vs Grealish. The tackles Grealish takes and gets up makes him more of a football hardman than some of the cowardly tackles that Souness or other so called hardmen made

yep souness showing he's a little bit clueless there, jack gets battered every game, might go down easy at times being but soft is nothing to do with it, he gets up and moves on the inevitable next clattering, that's not because hes soft

also the big midfield hard men are usually the target of jack, he knows that they cant help themselves, he will turn his body shield the ball and he's already won the free kick, it doesn't take a hard man to get the ball off him, its the opposite it takes a level of footballing intelligence to stop him playing how he wants, that's going to be the test for him when he does step up to CL and international level, the likes of Busquets aren't going to clatter him as he turns looking for contact

Edited by villa4europe

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Giggs used to dribble a lot too.

Since when did getting past people and drawing fouls become a bad thing?

It's only a bad thing if there are better options, such as shooting (many times grealish has the option to shoot, but doesn't) or releasing the ball more quickly when their defense isn't well set up. 

When those options are there it's fair to say that in many occasion Grealish can kill the momentum by holding the ball a bit too long. He's still a brilliant player, but that's where he should improve. It probably doesn't help feeling the pressure of having to do almost everything himself. 

Jack might need a decent performance Thursday, to impress his future gaffer

Edited by rjw63
couldn't remember what day it was FFS

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Souness is a blow hard dinosaur who has fallen out with practically everyone he has been connected to in football.

I'd rather listen to Francis Begbie's views on football.

I reckon Begbie was based on Souness

Rangers vs Hibs - Page 2 - Scottish Premiership General Chatter ...

• Like 1

I do think it’s sad that we are gonna lose him at the end of the season to a team like Everton or Leicester but I honestly think as long as we re invest some of the money smartly, we will be better off for it. Feel like we aren’t really a team with him in the side now. All of the players look to pass it to him even if it’s not the best option, I’ve never seen another player give him any stick on the pitch? Feels almost as if he has more control than the manager and coaching staff 

56 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Relegated twice with his boyhood club. Terrible. Hope he'll recover mentally.

I expect as soon as he moves to a competent footballing side with chance of success along with a  massive wage, that should cushion the blow.

13 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I disagree respectfully. Being fouled means he has been illegally stopped and by extension Jack has got passed the fouling player otherwise it'd be a good tackle.  Secondly when your options are Trezafake Neil Taylor etc even Messi would probably think twice before giving them the ball.

It's going to be interesting to see how many times Jack has actually been tackled or lost the ball through poor control. Only De Breuyne  and one other player (can't remember who) have created more chances than him. 

Maddison or Trent. Probably maddison. Before last gameweek grealish was on 81 and those 2 were on 78. But they have created a stupid amount from set pieces like 20+ each.

From open play it's only De bruyne and mahrez even in the same league as him. Well De Bruyne might be out of his league. But Grealish's weakest part of his game is his set piece taking which makes it all the more annoying that our only decent set piece taker is a liability on the pitch. 

13 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

For me the only problem with Jack is that our wingers & strikers are so dire that despite anything he does it seldom results in anything regards goals. Unless he scores himself which is difficult as he is so well marked. But the fact that our forward players are so horribly unproductive and very rarely actually threaten let alone take a chance means it is just far too easy for opposition teams to free up 2 or 3 players to mark him out. Hence the crazy number of free kicks as he is usually surrounded. If our forwards offered a decent alternative threat to Grealish opposition teams would not be able to spare quite so many players to surround him with which would equate to a few less free kicks too in my view.

Sadly i really do not rate any of our forwards

Elghazi - seldom turns up and is not quite quick enough / lazy

Trez - a rabbit but not Prem quality whatsoever.

Davies - Heskey (Never score) MK 11,  Awful finisher and no strikers instinct which is a shame as he is strong.

Wesley - Too slow and awful in the air for a big guy.

Samatta - Appears to be our best header of the ball but lacks the physicality of Davies so is easily knocked off it in the box at corners etc and is too slow to be much of a threat otherwise.  Early days still though maybe he'll prove me wrong.

Is there actually anyone else??

A shocking bunch of forwards for a Premier League team. Could you see any of them even on the bench at a top half club?

We lack aerial  ability, pace & fox in the box /strikers instinct...No wonder our strikers barely score.

As for Jack how on Earth do you play in someone who lacks pace, aerial ability and rarely makes the right run in the box? Even if they do they usually fluff it with a poor shot.

What we lack is smart balls. You should play low bouncing balls into the box. It makes it hard to defend against and is why elmo creates so many chances. His crosses are generally shite and don't beat the first man but when they do all you have to do is get a touch and they are in the net.

The only player who we have who can play an accurate high cross is el ghazi but because no one attacks it doesn't matter. We need to be playing low bouncing crosses across the box as they often force mistakes.

I disagree on your points about our attackers (Well just 2 of them). El Ghazi is the only other creative player we have on the pitch most of the time now Luiz is stepping up and mcginn is getting back into form it will be a lot easier for him play well as he was the 2nd target for teams to stop. Against Liverpool he was tearing Robertson to shreds in the first half and then we stopped going to him and we did virtually nothing in the 2nd half. 

The other player I disagree with is wesley. Yes wesley is poor in the air but he isn't slow. He doesn't have great acceleration but you never saw him beaten for pace like we did with Davis and Gomez against Liverpool. I think wesley runs wrong and doesn't have the correct technique to accelerate properly, although that maybe because of his leg. If he could increase his acceleration he would be an all round physical force being able to go toe to toe with anyone in terms of pace and strength (although he needs to learn how to utilise that properly in the prem as well). 

8 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Maddison or Trent. Probably maddison. Before last gameweek grealish was on 81 and those 2 were on 78. But they have created a stupid amount from set pieces like 20+ each.

From open play it's only De bruyne and mahrez even in the same league as him. Well De Bruyne might be out of his league. But Grealish's weakest part of his game is his set piece taking which makes it all the more annoying that our only decent set piece taker is a liability on the pitch. 

I agree in the main but One aspect of any pass or cross people often don't acknowledge is the recieving player. No movement= no accurate pass. I can whip in 50 beautiful crosses but if no one attacks it or no one makes the movement towards it it's going to be classed as an inaccurate cross or pass. We rarely score set piece goals because collectively our players lack intelligent movement.

Under Lambert our movement was brilliant. It even got featured on MNF. Amazingly the best movement came from Holman but unfortunately he wasn't the most skilful. Under that team we needed just 2 players who could consistently pass the ball forward. Under this years team we needed one more player other than Jack to be consistently threatening.

8 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I think wesley runs wrong and doesn't have the correct technique to accelerate properly, although that maybe because of his leg. 

Those leg things often do have an influence on acceleration 🙃 !!!

Â