The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

4 minutes ago, SuffolkVillan said:

Putting my Villa bias to one side I thought Souness was spot-on with thoughts on Jack. For the last 6 or so games he has not been the driving force we need and he does sometimes stand with his hands on his hips as if to say " I cant be bothered with this!" His closing down is lame and I don't see him urging his team mates to do better. I love Jack and he is our best player currently but I do think a move has been agreed and he is playing it safe. The huge amount of cash we receive for him needs to be used wisely next season, indeed, if we are in the Chanpionship I hope they only spend enough to get promotion and save as much as possible to buy 3 quality players when we get back up.

Struggle to disagree with this too.

I have an incredible amount of respect for Jack. He’s a top player and I hope can improve even further. We owe him for dragging us up last season whatever happens in the next 6 games. You can see his frustration at the position we’re in.

i do think on the pitch though that we have better ‘leaders’ in Mings & Heaton. Grealish is a good ‘club captain’ while those two should be the ones tasked with rallying on the pitch and setting professional examples.....if that even is an effective thing in this day and age. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, John said:

What Souness said about Jack could be good or bad for us. It could make his moving less likely in the next window or it might knock a few million off his fee. 

I think professional football clubs dont pay attention to Souness shit. This is the manager who played Ali Dia and paid 7million for Corrado Grabbi one of the true Premier League shit strikera

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think professional football clubs dont pay attention to Souness shit. This is the manager who played Ali Dia and paid 7million for Corrado Grabbi one of the true Premier League shit strikera

It's not only Souness making these observations and having these opinions though.

I wrote in the post match thread that watching on BEIN Andy Gray and the other guy (I always forget his name but he has a soft spot for us) were intimating the same.

I don't necessarily think he is PURPOSELY not making the effort or putting in a shift, I just think his head is not all the way in it.

Some are so defensive of him you refuse to consider anything which is out of the narrative composed in your heads. smh

I've always thought someone like Mings was better suited to Captain anyway, and thats nothing against Jack.

Well the moment Souness started claiming he wouldn't want to be the most fouled player in the league cause that means you're holding onto the ball too long I knew not to pay any attention.

He would have a point if he was holding onto the ball too long and losing possession (Carlos Sanchez style) but he's not, he's winning fouls i.e. keeping possession. 

• Like 3

Captaincy is the most irrelevant position in football. You do a coin toss and have the odd conversation with the ref. 

Its not like cricket or rugby where Captaincy is very important 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's not only Souness making these observations and having these opinions though.

I wrote in the post match thread that watching on BEIN Andy Gray and the other guy (I always forget his name but he has a soft spot for us) were intimating the same.

I don't necessarily think he is PURPOSELY not making the effort or putting in a shift, I just think his head is not all the way in it.

Some are so defensive of him you refuse to consider anything which is out of the narrative composed in your heads. smh

I've always thought someone like Mings was better suited to Captain anyway, and thats nothing against Jack.

the problem is that the likes of souness or gray are either incapable or not afforded the time to do a full analysis of jack grealish - probably both, they definitely aren't going to be given the time to analyse grealish when theres a Liverpool title win to fawn over - but souness is painting the picture of what is to come should he join utd, constant uneducated scrutiny by people who don't watch you that often and cant see past your price tag

said before you cant look at grealish holding the ball or getting fouled in the context of what grealish is doing, you need to bring in footage of tezegeuet and AEG and neil taylor and Davis and Mcginn and say this is why it is happening, that's not going to happen because no one cares about the movement of davis or samatta or that McGinn isn't making himself available because he's unfit (harsh from me) or do a proper analysis of nakamba and why grealish would rather be fouled than pass to him, get gary Neville out with his fancy computer thing and show where grealish has the ball when he wants his team mates to be, where they actually go (usually nowhere...) and then you'll see it differently or on the flip side show it where grealish picks the ball up and walk the viewer through the next 5 seconds of play, heres the ball he should play, heres where he should then move to, heres what happens next, as it is instead you'll get a flavour of the month criticism because that's easier to do

he's out of form, his weighting of passing and decision making is suspect right now at times yesterday I actually thought he tried to get it forward too quick but at the same time I still think that everything he does is very deliberate and that he has the quality to tweak his game to suit the team that he is in

• Like 2

Grealish isn't, and never has been, a grab the bull by the horns and drive the team forward type of player for this level. He could do it in the championship because it was a little slower and he was usually a few steps ahead in thought of the opposing players. In the Premier League you need someone in that role who moves the ball quicker and who has a quicker turn of pace themselves, McGinn would be the obvious choice in the current squad. He's a Matt Le Tissier type, a player that should have a free role behind a striker to find his own space and provide a bit of magic in and around the box.

• Like 1

You only have to read some of the comments from UTD fans and see how fast they are turning on pogba to try and get Grealish to go to them. I find it disgusting how Pogba has been a fantastic player for UTD but fans are starting to trash him as a player in favour of Jack. There fans think nothing of players and as soon as someone better than Grealish comes along they would do to Jack what many are now doing to Pogba which is saying he can get lost basically (just not so many kind words).

I have one word for UTD fans because they've been used to getting some of the best players in the world for so long, that word is (SPOILT) and they are a bunch of Brats to go with it.

Grealish deserves to have a fan base that wants him at the club, who wont try throw him under the bus because they realise that he is a talent worth having in favour of someone who's the next big thing all because they think they can get him.

That is UTD all over, they think they can get who ever they want and that must change and I would so much rather sell him for a smaller fee to one of the other clubs than see Man utd with the lad.

Just now, Dave-R said:

You only have to read some of the comments from UTD fans and see how fast they are turning on pogba to try and get Grealish to go to them. I find it disgusting how Pogba has been a fantastic player for UTD but fans are starting to trash him as a player in favour of Jack. There fans think nothing of players and as soon as someone better than Grealish comes along they would do to Jack what many are now doing to Pogba which is saying he can get lost basically (just not so many kind words).

I have one word for UTD fans because they've been used to getting some of the best players in the world for so long, that word is (SPOILT) and they are a bunch of Brats to go with it.

Grealish deserves to have a fan base that wants him at the club, who wont try throw him under the bus because they realise that he is a talent worth having in favour of someone who's the next big thing all because they think they can get him.

That is UTD all over, they think they can get who ever they want and that must change and I would so much rather sell him for a smaller fee to one of the other clubs than see Man utd with the lad.

Some Villa fans really aren't much better

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Some Villa fans really aren't much better

No you are right they are not which annoys me because everyone should be urging him to stay regardless, I cant stand it when people say he should move on or he deserves better, Jack's home is here and I dont want him going anywhere for as long as possible.

But those fans are not spoilt, I'd call that more of being unappreciative of your hero and unsupportive of him.

My view is (and may be unpopular) that the left midfield position suits him better and is where we should be playing him in the prem. It just feels when he is playing centrally he doesn't get the ball in as many dangerous positions and so the opposition can either swarm him or foul him - Giving away a free kick which is 40 yards central to goal is quite difficult to do much with where as out wide you have a better angle to get the ball into the box. I would go with connor in the more advanced central role, yes granted he may let the game drift by but that space created by Grealish does give him opportunities to shoot and he also has a great free kick on him and while we are lacking goals he has to in my opinion be a starter.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ChinlessWonder said:

Grealish isn't, and never has been, a grab the bull by the horns and drive the team forward type of player for this level. He could do it in the championship because it was a little slower and he was usually a few steps ahead in thought of the opposing players. In the Premier League you need someone in that role who moves the ball quicker and who has a quicker turn of pace themselves, McGinn would be the obvious choice in the current squad. He's a Matt Le Tissier type, a player that should have a free role behind a striker to find his own space and provide a bit of magic in and around the box.

Disagree with this

Have to say I thought Souness was bang on for once.

Being the most fouled player isn't something to be proud of, it does show that he holds on to the ball for far too long and far too much - I can testify to that having watched him now for years.

If project restart has been good for one thing it's definitely softening the blow of Grealish leaving because I'm beginning to think that we genuinely can be a better team without him.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dave-R said:

No you are right they are not which annoys me because everyone should be urging him to stay regardless, I cant stand it when people say he should move on or he deserves better, Jack's home is here and I dont want him going anywhere for as long as possible.

But those fans are not spoilt, I'd call that more of being unappreciative of your hero and unsupportive of him.

We see this from a large number of fans about most things. It's not just Jack.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Being the most fouled player isn't something to be proud of, it does show that he holds on to the ball for far too long and far too much - I can testify to that having watched him now for years.

If project restart has been good for one thing it's definitely softening the blow of Grealish leaving because I'm beginning to think that we genuinely can be a better team without him.

I disagree respectfully. Being fouled means he has been illegally stopped and by extension Jack has got passed the fouling player otherwise it'd be a good tackle.  Secondly when your options are Trezafake Neil Taylor etc even Messi would probably think twice before giving them the ball.

It's going to be interesting to see how many times Jack has actually been tackled or lost the ball through poor control. Only De Breuyne  and one other player (can't remember who) have created more chances than him. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Honestly don't know where to begin with this. 

27 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I thought it was an interesting view but I dont think it explains totally why he is fouled so much.  We're nothing without an in form Grealish. Hes the reason we haven t got the worst points total ever in the Premier League. Maybe we can use the money wisely and build a stronger team in the future. 

• Like 1

Also worth noting that the 2nd-6th most fouled players includes Zaha, Maddison, Jota, Ayew, Traore. Surely not all of these are too slow and hold on to the ball too much. Maybe they're just....good?

Edited by Djemba_Villan

Â