The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

It's also worth remembering that Wolves have spent one more season in the top flight than us during that period. We spend more than them when we were both in the championship, and also spent more than them this season when both in the premier league.

22 minutes ago, sne said:

A quick look and our spending compared to Wolves since we were relegated is pretty similar. 16/17 season - 19/20

Roughly they've spent a bit more (£290m-ish vs £270m-ish) and received a bit less (£75m-ish vs £85m-ish) in transfer fees. All according to Transfermarkt so don't take the precise numbers as gospel.

Hard to argue they've not gotten more value for money, and our spending is pretty spectacular considering we've only been in the PL for 1 season.

Pretty sure our wage budget also trumps theirs by a fair margin over this period which is shocking.

Anyway, Grealish. Nice set of calves on the lad.

I think the discrepancy is the 100 million wasted in the season we went down over both windows which in effect is dead money compared to what the dogheads spent wisely with the assistance of George Mendez

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

I think the discrepancy is the 100 million wasted in the season we went down over both windows which in effect is dead money compared to what the dogheads spent wisely with the assistance of George Mendez

They could very well end up making a £70m-£80m or so profit on Adama Traore, a guy we traded for Albert Adomah and some spare change.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, sne said:

They could very well end up making a £70m-£80m or so profit on Adama Traore, a guy we traded for Albert Adomah and some spare change.

We picked up a bargain and let him go, I don’t really know what we were thinking , it was clear that he had a a lot of potential but maybe he didn’t settle

10 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We picked up a bargain and let him go, I don’t really know what we were thinking , it was clear that he had a a lot of potential but maybe he didn’t settle

By all accounts re didn't want to play in the Championship and wanted to leave.

But you have to think that is the club had not been in such a total mess we could have changed his mind with a bit of communication and patience. Who knows.

7 minutes ago, sne said:

But you have to think that is the club had not been in such a total mess we could have changed his mind with a bit of communication and patience. Who knows.

I'm not sure about that. He had 10 league appearances totalling 180 minutes in his season with us.

Admittedly we'd probably do this with any player but I remember myself and countless others being frustrated how little we used him that year. He still had a hell of a lot of improvement to make, but his pace could cause serious problems.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

31 minutes ago, sne said:

Apparently refused to suit up for game vs Rotherham. Unforgivable if true

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Apparently refused to suit up for game vs Rotherham. Unforgivable if true

Club was run by morons, I honestly don't blame him.

Wolves won't be making an £80m profit on Adama, they paid £20m for him no one is going to give them £100m, if he's worth that then Grealish is worth at least £150m if not more. Adama's a very dangerous player and exciting to watch but I think he's become a little overrated, had a look on a Wolves forum recently and quite a few on there were saying that they'd accept a big offer for him and that they rate Neto as the better player.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Back then, when he played for us, he could run with the ball but he didn’t quite have the end product that he has now at Wolves. Nuno Espírito Santo has found a way to get the best out of him and Wolves are reaping the benefits

Just now, Zatman said:

Was the new era of Xia and we spent big on players. Was no excuse

It was a shit show.

IF he refused to play that's obviously not OK. IF he did.

Still, as all our young foreign players I suspect he was treated poorly by the club the season before and with the turmoil that summer I get if he tried to force a move.

17 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Back then, when he played for us, he could run with the ball but he didn’t quite have the end product that he has now at Wolves. Nuno Espírito Santo has found a way to get the best out of him and Wolves are reaping the benefits

I think Nuno has done a great job with him but I also think he was so raw then he didnt have the maturity in his game, that only comes with experience.  While I give a lot of credit to Nuno and his coaches, I think maturity comes with age because he was only 19 when with us and that for me has improved his game more than Nuno. 

We were stupid to let him go but at the same time he desperately didnt want to be here so we had no choice given where the club was at at the time. 

He still needs to mature his game more and has had a great spell through parts of this season but I expect more over the coming years given his talent.  He is still too patchy when you watch full games.  Looks world class in a highlight video's especially when he gets those feet going and his end product has been so much better this season.

I still think Jack is a better player at the moment by some way because of his influence over the whole game though and thus worth more.

The manager who improved Adama most was probably Pullis of all people, added discipline to his game and wasn't until playing under Pullis that he started scoring more goals and getting more assists.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

The cynic in me thinks Jack is on a PR offensive this week in trying to clean up his image for a transfer. 

He will still giving 100 percent to try help us stay up 

I think you might be right. This interview, the Talksport one and The Guardian article are almost all word for word the same. Definitely been scripted and it looks like he's referring to notes every time he answers a question. Nothing wrong with that in the context of saying the wrong thing by mistake, but it does feel a bit staged. 

Whether it's motivated by a desire to keep a big move on track, we shall see.

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

22 million on Moutinho and Patricio. Cheaper than Wesley 

Yes the Mendes connection but need convince players to join still

The difference is Wolves have gone for a mix of young and promising (Vinagre, Diogo Jota, Neto and Neves was only 20 when he joined) but also remembered they needed good top level experience to guide them. Picked up Johnny Otto who played in europa SF for Celta vigo, Raul Jimenez was much more experienced than Wesley and Rui Patricio and Moutinho have nearly 200 caps between them for one of most consistant national teams in last 20 years.

I just don't get how we're going to become a real competitive force at premier league level simply by signing players under age of 25 with limited top level experience as none of the teams we seem to be trying to model ourselves on do it.

Our best teams since the early 90s have always had a good core of experience in them aswell (Mellberg, Laursen, Dunne, Townsend, Taylor, God, Kevin Richardson, Staunton etc)

Really interested to see what our transfer strategy is over next 12 months if we stay up. Will show if we've learnt any lessons from last summer particularly as we won't need to sign as many players in one go.

Edited by VillaChris

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

They probably also didn't pay agent fees... 

And you need to apply some context, Patricio was from sporting Lisbon who did that weird thing where they released every player and then it was court settlements to decide their value (I think?) and moutinho was from Monaco who imploded and the owner decided to have a fire sale (which he's doing again) 

Well we need to do the same. Plenty of players in Monaco side would push us up the league a fair bit so in next year I'd like to see us show more ambition and start trying to sign players of that calibre.

Wolves do it and they're basically what we were during 2007/10, not far off top 4 and having good runs in cup competitions.

2 hours ago, sne said:

He was a bit immature really. Just wanted to play in top flight when Boro came in. He wised up when they went down a year later and really improved his play in the year with Boro and Wolves picked him up and improved him more.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

The difference is Wolves have gone for a mix of young and promising (Vinagre, Diogo Jota, Neto and Neves was only 20 when he joined) but also remembered they needed good top level experience to guide them. Picked up Johnny Otto who played in europa SF for Celta vigo, Raul Jimenez was much more experienced than Wesley and Rui Patricio and Moutinho have nearly 200 caps between them for one of most consistant national teams in last 20 years.

I just don't get how we're going to become a real competitive force at premier league level simply by signing players under age of 25 with limited top level experience as none of the teams we seem to be trying to model ourselves on do it.

Our best teams since the early 90s have always had a good core of experience in them aswell (Mellberg, Laursen, Dunne, Townsend, Taylor, God, Kevin Richardson, Staunton etc)

Really interested to see what our transfer strategy is over next 12 months if we stay up. Will show if we've learnt any lessons from last summer particularly as we won't need to sign as many players in one go.

If we stay up, won’t the signings from last Sunmer be a success? For me, they will, if we finish 17th and with us getting to the Carabao Cup final, we will have had a great season. If we finish 17th, will you be happy VillaChris?

The thing is with experienced players, they usually want silly wages which will upset the other players in the squad. Personally, I trust Smith to get it right, he has earned his chance with us for me by getting us promoted from The Championship last season

Wolves have a good blend of youth and experience, they have bought wisely. They are now an established Premier League team for me

If we do stay up this season, manage to keep all our current players and sign one or two real quality players on top of that, we can push on, that’s the best case scenario. 

Â