The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yeah on the same note, explain to me why would we sell him for 50m? Forget the BS that he deserves it blah blah.  Why would we, AVFC, the owners, manager or supporters accept 50m? In today’s market what does 50m get you?

Who says we have to sell him at all? Us fans don’t know our financial situation, if Grealish puts in a transfer request then we are left with no choice but until then, he is under contract here. He has been very loyal to us and he should be commended for that, he could’ve jumped ship at any moment. He stayed for 3 years in The Championship and got us promoted.

I think that it is a very inflated market, it’s showing no signs of slowing down. £20m doesn’t even guarantee a good Premier League player these days

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

80m post corona is probably the best we can get. Normally I'd agree. 100m minimum.

corona's impact on transfer fees is overrated and will largely be driven by the likes of utd trying to push the market down

the amount of money utd have to spend may be reduced....that's not Aston Villa's problem...our value of Jack should remain the same as it was pre corona unless we have income issues and are back to selling him to balance the books which under this regime I don't believe to be true

• Like 3

5 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Who says we have to sell him at all? Us fans don’t know our financial situation, if Grealish puts in a transfer request then we are left with no choice but until then, he is under contract here. He has been very loyal to us and he should be commended for that, he could’ve jumped ship at any moment. He stayed for 3 years in The Championship and got us promoted.

I think that it is a very inflated market, it’s showing no signs of slowing down. £20m doesn’t even guarantee a good Premier League player these days

Why if he puts in a transfer request do we have no choice? We can say no, he still has 3 years on his contract.

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

the only thing the transfer request does is scrap all his bonuses which we can deduct from the value of the deal

Agreed, just because he puts in a transfer request doesn’t mean we have to let him go.  It’s just him officially requesting to leave and forfeiting his bonuses of any transfer deal.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Jack Grealish dialling in to TalkSport at 9:30 if you fancy a listen 

Came across quite well I thought.

Apologised again for his lock-down misdeamenour, talked very highly of the gaffer and said they have a great relationship (football/non-football), says players like McGinn and Tyrone also think highly of Dean. Sounds like he's a popular head coach.

Talking of popular, he reiterated what we've all been saying about the effect John McGinn's return might have on us and what a great bloke he is around the dressing room. His return should be massive.

Sounds like Jack's dying to get back playing and that the team is looking good in training and that the break probably came at a right time for us. I know he isnt going to say anything different but it did sound genuine.

I was hoping they were going to mention reports of a transfer to Man Utd but the final question was in relation to his hair 🙄

He was also on the football show on Sky Sports, but missed start of it, think it's repeated at 5pm. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

Why if he puts in a transfer request do we have no choice? We can say no, he still has 3 years on his contract.

I wouldn’t want to keep an unhappy player here, it would upset the dressing room

Grealish could never be described as being unhappy at Villa as he has a spiritual attachement to the club, he'd might be disappointed if a move was denied him but I don't think he'd be one to cause trouble, he was denied a move to Tottenham and still got on with it and captained the side to promotion.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I wouldn’t want to keep an unhappy player here, it would upset the dressing room

So what would you suggest? 

I know you don’t agree but let’s say the clubs valuation was 80m just for examples sake.  Let’s say we got 3 clubs interested but Man U was top final bid after lengthy negotiations at 40m plus 5m adds ons over his contract.  

You surely wouldn’t accept that?

What if the top bid was 35m full stop?

Just because a player might request to leave doesn’t mean a deal can be agreed with another club....Zaha proves that.  Both Dortmund and Arsenal were interested with a supposed 40m bid from Arsenal last summer turned down for being too low despite Zaha asking to leave.  He’s still there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So what would you suggest? 

I know you don’t agree but let’s say the clubs valuation was 80m just for examples sake.  Let’s say we got 3 clubs interested but Man U was top final bid after lengthy negotiations at 40m plus 5m adds ons over his contract.  

You surely wouldn’t accept that?

What if the top bid was 35m full stop?

Just because a player might request to leave doesn’t mean a deal can be agreed with another club....Zaha proves that.  Both Dortmund and Arsenal were interested with a supposed 40m bid from Arsenal last summer turned down for being too low despite Zaha asking to leave.  He’s still there.

£80m is a made up figure by the press, I would be amazed if he went anywhere near amount. He still hasn’t had one good full season in the Premier League, I’m watching the MLS on freesports channel 64 on freeview and I’d say that the quality is on par with The Championship. Don’t get me wrong, I think Grealish is a very talented footballer with scope to improve, it is hard to believe that he is still only 24 years old, it feels like he’s been around our first team for a long time. It’s a very inflated market at the minute, £20m doesn’t even guarantee you a good Premier League player these days. Alex Iwobi went to Everton last Summer for £40m and he can’t a game for them, in my opinion Grealish and Iwobi have similar levels of ability. I would accept £35m if it meant that we could spend the entire amount on rebuilding the side again, what do you think is a fair value of Grealish’s ability nick76? Do you think that he will leave this Summer? 

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

They don't all have to cost 50m + either. We've been frequently linked with Jose Callejon last six months. I know some will turn up their noses at signing a 33 year old but very often teams on rise will sign a player or two in their 30s as much to get the mentality up in the dressing room. Man City signed Patrick Vieria when he was 34. Chelea signed Ruud Gullit when he was in his 30s.

Given he's still a key player at Napoli it's fair to say he'd be more effective for us than Jota or Trez so that's what you have to weigh up. Seems Everton are interested in him so given Ancelotti is there he'll probably join them if it's a credible link.

Most of the news about Callejon coming out of Napoli and Italy is that he will be heading back to Spain, clubs like Sevilla, Betis, etc. are interested in him

Will be a shame to see him finally leave Napoli but he just isn’t as effective as he used to be

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think that Iwobi sometimes gets unfarily criticized but Grealish is many times better than he is in every respect, there's a reason why one wasn't wanted by Arsenal and is now on the Everton bench, and the other is wanted by all the best teams in the world and is rated as one of the best players in the premier league. If anything Iwobi going for £40m last summer adds to the argument that even £80m is too low of a sum for Grealish, because frankly he's more than twice the player that Iwobi is. As for £35m for Grealish, that would never happen we turned down £25m as a championship club, and it wouldn't get us very far rebuilding the team, we spent that much on Wesley and Targett alone last summer, we'd probably have to spend most of that just to buy someone like Benrahma.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Steve said:

I think Smith will be a big factor in convincing him to stay (if he so chooses).

Really? I think a world class coach is our only hope in keeping him.

During no circumstances would Jack want another relegation battle.

Edited by villalad21

Just now, villalad21 said:

Really? I think a world class coach is our only hope in keeping him.

During no circumstances would Jack want another relegation battle.

Why would a world class coach come to us when we’re in the relegation zone?

Grealish needs a father-figure coach and has that with Smith, both Villa fans, understand what it means to play for the club. Smith made him captain which is a big deal. Especially for a boyhood fan. Terry to a lesser extent fulfill's the father-figure role. These factors shouldn't be dimissed. He could have handed in a transfer request multiple times when in the Championship, prepared to move to Spurs when finances were bleak. He doesn't strike as someone who won't give 100% on the pitch regardless of status.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Alex Iwobi went to Everton last Summer for £40m and he can’t a game for them, in my opinion Grealish and Iwobi have similar levels of ability. 

I think my opinion differs most from you here. I would put Grealish in a bracket above Iwobi. Iwobi is a very fine player, but on the evidence of the 2019-20 season that was, the only midfielder I saw that was better than Grealish was De Bruyne. I'd say Grealish is a slightly better all round player than Dele Alli - how much would you value Alli at?

• Like 2

Â