The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, Fairy In Boots said:

It’s our club and mentality in general, aspirations are always “where we belong” or “a top side”. 
Wtf is that? 

If I was a multi billionaire I’d buy us and my goal would be simple to be the biggest club in the world, I’d want their best players and I’d see how they like it. Too many small minded idiots have ran our club in the last 30-40 years

If I was a multi billionaire I would go live on an island somewhere and forget all about football. Roman has spent billions on Chelsea. Made some memories. Never getting that money back and the day he does a Jack Walker Chelsea will soon return to where they came (though may take a few more years)

Poor Jack he must be fed up of carrying this struggling side. No one will blame him if he seeks a move in the summer. It is a shame that we can't offer what he wants- namely being a solid top 10 premier league side. Miles away from that.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Amazed he's getting criticism for last night. What do people expect him to do when he has the three stooges playing in central midfield? When it was clear Grealish wasn't getting the ball (i.e. at halftime) then el Ghazi should have been brought on for hourihane and Jack moved into midfield so he might have half a chance of getting on the ball. Seemed obvious to me but again smith is unable to see obvious tactical changes or make subs.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fairy In Boots said:

If I was a multi billionaire I’d buy us and my goal would be simple to be the biggest club in the world, I’d want their best players and I’d see how they like it. Too many small minded idiots have ran our club in the last 30-40 years

In the old days that was simple. Players weren’t earning sickening amounts of money, transfer fees weren’t out of control and we didn’t have ffp. If I was a multi billionaire I would try and do something good like save the environment 

Jack hasn't given up he is simply a marked man now and teams are just taking him out the game and completely killing us as a team. It's as simple as that l, dont buy all the he has given up hope stuff. Last night Albrighton and Ricardo doubled up on him!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

Jack hasn't given up he is simply a marked man now and teams are just taking him out the game and completely killing us as a team. It's as simple as that l, dont buy all the he has given up hope stuff. Last night Albrighton and Ricardo doubled up on him!!!

exactly that

doubled up by albrighton who's a work horse and ricardo who despite being shit in the cup games is a good player, then you throw in how poor the rest of the team was and apart from samatta there was no one in front of him I don't get what peoples expectations are of him

"he kept losing the ball" he didn't have a villa player within 20 yards of him and even they weren't showing for a pass, nothing to do with interest or transfers

• Like 1

If we go down the vultures will circle and Jack will be the primary target. As I've said, I would want £100m. I suspect our owners would feel the same about it as well. £50m or £60m are the sort of bids clubs like Manchester United will try to get him for, but he's our most saleable asset and we should demand top dollar for him. The days of our football club being taken for mugs and selling low are gone, I hope....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

exactly that

doubled up by albrighton who's a work horse and ricardo who despite being shit in the cup games is a good player, then you throw in how poor the rest of the team was and apart from samatta there was no one in front of him I don't get what peoples expectations are of him

"he kept losing the ball" he didn't have a villa player within 20 yards of him and even they weren't showing for a pass, nothing to do with interest or transfers

Totally agree, last night we needed Luiz or Conor to back him up and get close to him and simply neither are good enough to see this or actually do it. If McGinn was there I think last night could have been different as he would have bust a gut to get in there and back him up. Targett was also pinned back and couldn't get near him or overlap as much as he normally does so again Jack was just isolated with not a Villa player in sight to help out. If that's giving up then god knows what the hell the rest of the players are doing...

Edited by leighavfc
  • Like 1

Just now, leighavfc said:

Totally agree, last night we needed Luiz or Conor to back him up and get close to him and simply neither are good enough to see this or actually do it. If McGinn was there I think last night could have been different as he would have bust a gut to get in there and back him up. Target was also pinned back and couldn't get near him or overlap as much as he normally does so again Jack was just isolated with not a Villa player in sight to help out. If that's giving up then god knows what the hell the rest of the players are doing...

i'll throw it out there - that's the one thing drinkwater is actually decent at

7 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Not sure what you are watching after 10m drinkwater is hunched over on the halfway line with his arse hanging out.

drinkwater off the ball when we have it is livelier than our other midfielders IMO doesn't move that much but its enough to find a pocket of space and make himself an outlet

when he gets the ball is another thing...so is what he does when the opposition has it

44 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Amazed he's getting criticism for last night. What do people expect him to do when he has the three stooges playing in central midfield? When it was clear Grealish wasn't getting the ball (i.e. at halftime) then el Ghazi should have been brought on for hourihane and Jack moved into midfield so he might have half a chance of getting on the ball. Seemed obvious to me but again smith is unable to see obvious tactical changes or make subs.  

Just because he is our "Golden Boy" doesn't mean we can't call it like it is when he is poor. I never get this stance.

We have a set of "favourites" who are beyond criticism, and would rather call out others instead of say it like it is.

Criticising our better players when they are shite doesn't mean we have "turned" or don't know they are great players, it is simply pointing out when they are poor.

On another note, I've read somewhere that he apparently lost someone close to him, around and after the Cup final? Any truth to this, and has it affected his mind state?

Grealish isn't playing well at the moment. There's nothing wrong with saying that. I think there is something wrong with saying he's already out the door, bye, just leave now, and suchlike.

• Like 3

Been watching Grealish closely over recent games and noted one of the reasons why he's becoming less effective.

When receiving the ball he is more often than not playing with his back to goal so his first reaction is to lay the ball off backwards or to the sides rather than being progressive with it.

Playing wide doesn't help with that as he can't run into channels beating the FB for pace so he's coming too deep to receive the ball to feet.

Look at how Leicester utilizes Madison by normally receiving the ball fronting on to the opposition's goal with head up and looking for the forward pass.

When Jack was at his best Smith had him playing behind the striker and doing exactly this.

I think Smith has put Jack out wide to get more quality crosses in for Samatta but how often have you seen Jack do this lately? He just isn't a winger and never will be.

I'd be inclined to return Jack to the middle where he is much more effective and comfortable while also having a word in his ear about positioning his body better to receive the ball going forward instead of backwards. His teammates would also have to be made aware of that when passing to him.

Edited by striker
  • Like 3

I'm convinced Jack is most effective when given a free role. He has the nous to know where to play in order to hurt the opposition most, but he needs the players around him to perform and to appreciate what he's doing and how.

I wonder if Jack might be carrying an injury, which might also explain his performance last night and in some other recent games, when he hasn't been quite at his best? A little like John McGinn had been, before he picked up his long term injury?

Trouble is with players like this, we can't really do without them, they are willing to play with a knock and we don't sometimes get the best from them, when we are flogging a willing horse, because we lack the squad depth to give them a rest.  

With and without Grealish under Smith

With
Wins - 21
Draws - 7
Losses - 17
Points per game - 1.55
Goals per game - 1.65

Without
Wins - 3
Draws - 7
Losses - 7
Points per game - 0.94
Goals per game - 1.23

That's over half a point per game, and nearly half a goal per game, better with Grealish. That's a massive difference. 

The scariest thing for me is this. 58% percent of the "with" are from the Premier League. 90% of the "without" games are in the Championship. So despite him missing a much greater proportion of games in a lower league - where we were one of the stronger teams - we still end up with worse figures than the "with" stats, which are nearly 60% weighted by Premier League games.

For anyone interested, the "without" stats (from the Championship) over a full 46 game season would've seen us finish 19th last season, with the 18th best attack.

I know stats aren't everything. But the idea that our current manager's job is safe because of keeping him for the Championship is an argument that holds minimal weight for me.

16 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

58% percent of the "with" are from the Premier League. 90% of the "without" games are in the Championship.

But in totally different squads and situations.

Grealish is obviously incredibly important for us but I don't buy the way the stats are being used here. 

Â