The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

the thing about him being quiet in the cup final is it was painfully obvious that it would be the case

did people really think Pep Guardiola didn't spend a month planning for him? just like he has twice already this season, nullified him - and that's before you factor in our low possession 

I think that's why smith moved him, city train all week with jack on the left, pops up in the middle...game plan wrecker! unfortunately pep and city are a bit too good for that, you have to give city some credit for the job they did on him

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the thing about him being quiet in the cup final is it was painfully obvious that it would be the case

did people really think Pep Guardiola didn't spend a month planning for him? just like he has twice already this season, nullified him - and that's before you factor in our low possession 

I think that's why smith moved him, city train all week with jack on the left, pops up in the middle...game plan wrecker! unfortunately pep and city are a bit too good for that, you have to give city some credit for the job they did on him

Jack has been pretty anonymous in all 3 games vs City to be fair.

20 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Is he? Why do you say that? I know you can’t judge a player on 1 game but Foden was outstanding yesterday, he outshone Grealish on the big stage 

Put Foden in our team and would he be able to carry us like Grealish has been doing for about 12 months with the pressure of being captain of your local team, the pressure of knowing we need to win pretty much every week just to get into the play offs and then win them and then the pressure of trying to keep us up virtually on his own? I think not. One good game in a team of world beaters and now Foden is as good as Grealish? Absolutely bloody ridiculous. If anything Grealish is underrated. Foden isn't even fit to lace Grealish's boots.

You do realise that City would have been training for the last week or so totally focused on stopping Grealish and they did because they have a good team? Whereas Foden was given the run of the pitch, whilst playing with world class players. If they swapped sides, do you still think Foden would have outshone Grealish?

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Jack has been pretty anonymous in all 3 games vs City to be fair.

that's what I mean, it shouldn't be that surprising that the best manager in the world can keep the man in a 1 man team quiet 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

that's what I mean, it shouldn't be that surprising that the best manager in the world can keep the man in a 1 man team quiet 

Using such modest tools as a billion pound first team to do it too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Using such modest tools as a billion pound first team to do it too.

the shit thing being his £80m holding midfielder who alongside his german world cup winning team mate took jack out the game also played a peach of a ball for the first goal and then scored the 2nd

Edited by villa4europe

On 03/03/2020 at 01:32, GingerCollins29 said:

2 poor games on the trot now. Hope he turns it around for leicester

If i'm honest, i've noticed in the biggest games, he is usually quiet. 

Even in our Playoff final, he was relatively quiet.

Not sure if this is due to the opposition or tactics but it's an observation.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Given that he cares so much about the club and desperately wants to be a hero, it probably adds to the nerves. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Given that he cares so much about the club and desperately wants to be a hero, it probably adds to the nerves. 

It's a little frustrating because this is when you see the neutrals and haters pop up online to talk about how "overrated" he is lol.

As they mostly see these games.

20 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What’s happened the last two games is that clever managers have correctly identified Villa as a one man team, stop Jack Grealish and you stop Aston Villa. They’ve sent their teams out accordingly to lessen the impact of Jack Grealish, either man marking or using two players to nullify him. If we had decent & clever players ourselves we could counter that and use the extra man & space accordingly, but we don’t. We did see glimpses against City that ElGhazi stepped up a bit more, but unfortunately he picks and chooses the bigger games to show up.  I think the way to look at it is this; how would that game have gone if Jack Grealish was wearing a City shirt, and Foden wearing a Villa shirt? Imagine a scenario where Jack Grealish is surrounded by players such as Gundogen, Rodri, Sterling, Aguero etc, and the opposition can’t simply put two players on Grealish because that would leave space and time for players like Sterling & Aguero. The entire debate I’m hearing in the media about Grealish/Maddison/Foden is completely flawed when two of those players play for top teams competing at the top end of the table and are surrounded by arguably better players who create space and time for them. Jack Grealish is, by some distance, the best of the three. In a team like City he would be viewed as truly world class. People are comparing apples with oranges, as the saying goes. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

What’s happened the last two games is that clever managers have correctly identified Villa as a one man team, stop Jack Grealish and you stop Aston Villa. They’ve sent their teams out accordingly to lessen the impact of Jack Grealish, either man marking or using two players to nullify him. If we had decent & clever players ourselves we could counter that and use the extra man & space accordingly, but we don’t. We did see glimpses against City that ElGhazi stepped up a bit more, but unfortunately he picks and chooses the bigger games to show up.  I think the way to look at it is this; how would that game have gone if Jack Grealish was wearing a City shirt, and Foden wearing a Villa shirt? Imagine a scenario where Jack Grealish is surrounded by players such as Gundogen, Rodri, Sterling, Aguero etc, and the opposition can’t simply put two players on Grealish because that would leave space and time for players like Sterling & Aguero. The entire debate I’m hearing in the media about Grealish/Maddison/Foden is completely flawed when two of those players play for top teams competing at the top end of the table and are surrounded by arguably better players who create space and time for them. Jack Grealish is, by some distance, the best of the three. In a team like City he would be viewed as truly world class. People are comparing apples with oranges, as the saying goes. 

Good point, I won't take anything away from Foden though, first time I've properly seen him play, and he looks incredible to be honest.

Some of the balls he killed, spins and skills were top level.

I get what you are saying though, and overall agree. I think all three are different players though.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've thought this for some time too,and lexicon hit the nail on the head with my view. The pressure to perform is already massive, and when you throw in how much the game must mean to him as a fan as well as a player and I think those games are the ones Jack struggles in. Relatively speaking, of course, when compared with his usual exceptional standards

• Like 1

All this Jack went missing stuff is just nonsense really. It was a tough game all round and unfortunately he didnt see much of the ball as we were passing sideways or backwards when we did have the ball. We also missed Reinas distribution massively although I did agree with Nyland starting. Should have gone for the jugular but easier said then done to play without fear!

5 minutes ago, birdman said:

All this Jack went missing stuff is just nonsense really. It was a tough game all round and unfortunately he didnt see much of the ball as we were passing sideways or backwards when we did have the ball. We also missed Reinas distribution massively although I did agree with Nyland starting. Should have gone for the jugular but easier said then done to play without fear!

He didn't impact the game as much as people hoped, I think it's fair to say. A lot of that is to do with the calibre of opposition we were up against - it's clear they had a plan to minimise his efficacy and they had the players to do it. 

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

He didn't impact the game as much as people hoped, I think it's fair to say. A lot of that is to do with the calibre of opposition we were up against - it's clear they had a plan to minimise his efficacy and they had the players to do it. 

Image result for sounds like orc mischief to me

Â