The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

It's a great question.  I assume we would've had to sell Jack and probably only got about 30m, he would've had no choice really but to go.  With that 30m, we would've had to bring in bargains....no Heaton so Nyland/Steer would've got a run.  Chester would've stayed as we had no Mings, and probably partnered with Hause because we couldnt afford Engels or Konsa.  Luiz we may have loaned but no Nakamba...may have tried to loan somebody instead of Trez and Wes.  Then a scattering of small buys to either replace loans or fill out the squad.  It would've been incredibly tough. 

Again it would've been survival the target for this season but it would've been a lot harder with those kind of signings and without Jack.  Sheff Utd have shown what you can do without much spending but they had a settled squad, whereas Norwich have shown the opposite.  I think the money invested will reap some rewards, a better squad and key that we kept Jack.  A couple of seasons for some of these players will make the world of difference because they are potential signings....it's arguable now who those would be.

I'll throw it the other way because this is a good discussion.  What if Chelsea hadnt had had their transfer ban and Tammy was still left out in the cold because they brought (for arguments sake) Cavani.  Tammy came to us instead of Wes, I'd like to think that we would be more mid-table now, and keeping Jack (on this forum) was more reasonable, that one or two players this summer would mean challenging for Europe next season or at least top eight.  Improving our goals against ratio with the new signings and suddenly with a better defence, then Jack, Tammy and another attacking player and then McGinn and Luiz in the middle.  Keeping Jack more than one more season (next season) seems more reasonable.

So in answer to your question, we would've had to sell Jack, which would've done us no good and he probably wouldn't have got a great team that he deserves.

Interesting, it doesn't bare thinking about, I know......love Tammy as the curved ball, that would have been an interesting move.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Agreed on all.  I did hope we'd end up 14th-ish and put that on the prediction but honestly i thought 16th/17th was probably about right given the transformation of the squad in the summer and basically all new to the premier league.  Two disappointments from the summer for me was not getting another striker in and not bringing in Cahill (instead of either Engels or Konsa).  I always think you need experience at the back and was worried about that.  Yes i love the long term view but a bit of experience always help short term. 

I am now disappointed in hindsight that none of our signings have really stood out.  You generally get flops and great impact signings but most of our have done alright but that's it (might be great long term I know)...the obvious sloppy moments of newbies but generally just ok over the first 2/3 of the season.  I really thought maybe one of those big bunch we brought would be great....maybe Luiz, maybe Trez but none have grasped the bull by the horns and done what McGinn did when he first came or Mings when he came in...that's been disappointing for me.

Last summer was quantity over quality, this summer has to be quality over quantity so I agree with you!

I agree with all that too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chindie said:

He will be off the moment the money comes knocking. At the end of the day, he's going to want to win stuff. He's probably not going to here. He might do at the CL clubs.

He may bleed claret and blue, but he's talented and ambitious. When the chance comes, he's off. I suspect that chance is going to be this summer, regardless of the league we're in, and if we're relegated he's absolutely certain to be be off.

Whilst I agree what about the conditions if we survive and manage to beat city and have a Chance of UEFA?

1 hour ago, useless said:

Don't want either Wolves or Sheffield United getting into the champions league, that would put them in a massive position of strengh and give them a big advantage over us in the coming seasons should we stay up, or even if we go down. It's going to be hard enough catching up with the traditional top six, without wishing upon some of the others circumstances that puts them in a superior position as well.

To be fair I think Wolves getting it, would be a MUCH bigger threat long term than Sheffield United, yes they will have Champions League as a selling point but they still won't necessarily be able to pay the wages, have the profile etc until they replicate that relatively consistently.

Wolves on the other hand, are growing quickly, and have ridiculously rich owners, already have some top players, a top manager etc.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KHV said:

Problem is that we are going to go down

Aren’t there still three teams below us....baffling however you are thinking we are doing.  West Ham’s upcoming fixtures are horrendous 

11 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

He didn't want to leave Everton, well certainly not at this point. Everton pushed him out the door as they needed the cash money.

Trust me, he wanted to go. That's why the fans were so upset. He even kissed the Utd badge when he scored against his beloved club. 

57 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Trust me, he wanted to go. That's why the fans were so upset. He even kissed the Utd badge when he scored against his beloved club. 

Jack wouldn't have to worry about that based on comments from some of our fans. They'd be making Holte End banners emblazoned "You deserve better Jack, you're too good for us" lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair I think Wolves getting it, would be a MUCH bigger threat long term than Sheffield United, yes they will have Champions League as a selling point but they still won't necessarily be able to pay the wages, have the profile etc until they replicate that relatively consistently.

Wolves on the other hand, are growing quickly, and have ridiculously rich owners, already have some top players, a top manager etc.

In terms of ridiculously rich owners aren’t Sheffield United owned by a Saudi Prince?

Can we please stop all this "we are definitely going down" bollocks please? You're entitled to your opinions of course but its getting a bit sickening and tiresome reading it.
We're one of 7 or 8 teams in a dogfight and far from cut adrift. We're not even in the bottom 3 ffs.

Is it just for attention? I don't get it.

33 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Can we please stop all this "we are definitely going down" bollocks please? You're entitled to your opinions of course but its getting a bit sickening and tiresome reading it.

Don't read it then.

I don't think we're going down, but it's a valid opinion.

38 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

We're one of 7 or 8 teams in a dogfight and far from cut adrift. We're not even in the bottom 3 ffs.

Is it just for attention? I don't get it.

We are definitely going down 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Don't read it then.

I don't think we're going down, but it's a valid opinion.

Yes, you're right. I should preemptively know the content of every post before I read it. 
Saying we could go down is valid. Saying we are going down is not. Saying I'm sick of reading it is also valid.

• Like 2

I think it's the speaking in certainties that annoys people. Saying we could or are likely to be relegated is one thing, but saying we are definitely going down is just defeatist. Either that or people have a crystal ball.

Plus it's much less toxic and stressful to be optimistic, the truth is we currently have as much chance of staying up as any of the other teams in the fight, anything could happen in the next 12 games.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, nick76 said:

Aren’t there still three teams below us....baffling however you are thinking we are doing.  West Ham’s upcoming fixtures are horrendous 

Ours are not much better.

29 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

I think it's the speaking in certainties that annoys people. Saying we could or are likely to be relegated is one thing, but saying we are definitely going down is just defeatist. Either that or people have a crystal ball.

Plus it's much less toxic and stressful to be optimistic, the truth is we currently have as much chance of staying up as any of the other teams in the fight, anything could happen in the next 12 games.

26 games have landed us where we are......The next 12 will seal our fate....its all to play for.

Its in Dean and the teams hands to reverse the form of the last 26 games.

Its what the 5 or 6 teams do or don't do, in the 12 game mini league, thats relevant.

I have no idea what the outcome of that will be. i suspect those that can fight and scrap for those valuable points, will have the best chance.

Having the best English midfielder in the country, must give us a chance....keeping Jack fit is crucial.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â