The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

15 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

My concern was largely if we get relegated he definitely goes. Don’t haVean issue there.

My concern which popped into my head was we couldn’t keep Milner when we were doing well and he moved on to City.

will our survival be enough to keep Jack despite his deep rooted love for the club? 

Didn't Rooney have a deep rooted love for Everton, or was that till Utd came calling? 

That’s what my worry is. However United are a shadow of their former selves. 

villa aren’t as strong as when we had Milner and we couldn’t keep him. 

Possibly if we somehow beat City and get a chance at European football he might stay if we win that tbf. 

It's down to Wes and Nassef to sit with Jack and lay out their ambitions for the club.  If we are happy just existing in the middle of the table then I don't see why Jack wouldn't have his head turned by the promise of playing Champions League elsewhere.  Obviously if we stay up then the ball is in our court when it comes to the fee and I hope we drive a hard bargain.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kidlewis said:

My concern was largely if we get relegated he definitely goes. Don’t haVean issue there.

My concern which popped into my head was we couldn’t keep Milner when we were doing well and he moved on to City.

will our survival be enough to keep Jack despite his deep rooted love for the club? 

We got good money for Milner at the time but such was our spending and wage bill we had no choice but to start recouping some of the money we had spent. Our MON model at the time of signing many over paid players on high wages with no sell on value was getting us in to trouble.  90% of our turnover was wages!!

Id like to believe financially we are in a much better position now and have more leeway with negotiations if Jack decides he wants to leave.  I don’t know how true that is though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's down to Wes and Nassef to sit with Jack and lay out their ambitions for the club.  If we are happy just existing in the middle of the table then I don't see why Jack wouldn't have his head turned by the promise of playing Champions League elsewhere.  Obviously if we stay up then the ball is in our court when it comes to the fee and I hope we drive a hard bargain.

And they have a good case in showing what Milwaukee has done. I hope people don't get too frustrated with me using Milwaukee as a comparison, but in reality there is something in common. It is one of the smallest market teams in NBA, and has Giannis. They're the number one team for a second year in a row. I get it that football is not the same, it needs more than one player to succeed, but at Villa Wes has Sawiris to share the burden. 

Or maybe put it another way: Wes is now used to a big star cult in both "his" teams. It's working perfectly in NBA, and could possibly work here too. If he lets Jack go, what does he have left? I don't know if he's buying a small team "teamplay" culture. I could be wrong, but I doubt he'll want that as his plan A.

Edited by AVTuco
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Milner comparison is fair, although Jack is far more connected to Villa than Milner ever was.
The Rooney comparison is also fair. However, Everton were going nowhere with very limited potential to spend and thus challenge. 

The main difference is NSWE. We have the financial muscle to challenge if we stay up. Jack knows that. That's no guarantee, but it's the factor many people are forgetting. We have seriously wealthy and ambitious owners now, who know how critical Jack is.
If only we had these guys 10 years ago.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

And they have a good case in showing what Milwaukee has done. I hope people don't get too frustrated with me using Milwaukee as a comparison, but in reality there is something in common. It is one of the smallest market teams in NBA, and has Giannis. They're the number one team for a second year in a row. I get it that football is not the same, it needs more than one player to succeed, but at Villa Wes has Sawiris to share the burden. 

Or maybe put it another way: Wes is now used to a big star cult in both "his" teams. It's working perfectly in NBA, and could possibly work here too. If he let's Jack go, what does he have left? I don't know if he's buying a small team "teamplay" culture. I could be wrong, but I doubt he'll want that as his plan A.

Basketball and football are very different, though. I'd also say that it's not working 'perfectly' as the Bucks are too much of a one-man team and don't have the depth to win the playoffs - they're a very good regular season team.

He will be off the moment the money comes knocking. At the end of the day, he's going to want to win stuff. He's probably not going to here. He might do at the CL clubs.

He may bleed claret and blue, but he's talented and ambitious. When the chance comes, he's off. I suspect that chance is going to be this summer, regardless of the league we're in, and if we're relegated he's absolutely certain to be be off.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chindie said:

He will be off the moment the money comes knocking. At the end of the day, he's going to want to win stuff. He's probably not going to here. He might do at the CL clubs.

He may bleed claret and blue, but he's talented and ambitious. When the chance comes, he's off. I suspect that chance is going to be this summer, regardless of the league we're in, and if we're relegated he's absolutely certain to be be off.

If he leaves when we're in the prem, he certainly doesn't 'bleed claret and blue' IMO. 

The choice comes down to having a better chance of winning stuff or being fiercely loyal (arguably to a fault). He can't have/be both. 

Club has to show the same ambition he has, if they do he might stay if we are not relegated.

Don't think money alone would make him move because I believe he truly want's to pay here. But I also think he want's to become as good a player as he possibly can and frankly he'll need better teammates and manager/coaches to reach his full potential. 

A move would also of course double his salary and give him realistic chances to compete for titles on a regular basis.

Then again I guess we are playing at Wembley on a yearly basis these days.

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

Or maybe put it another way: Wes is now used to a big star cult in both "his" teams. It's working perfectly in NBA, and could possibly work here too. If he let's Jack go, what does he have left? I don't know if he's buying a small team "teamplay" culture. I could be wrong, but I doubt he'll want that as his plan A.

And Giannis has just started talking about other big teams.

The bucks haven't done anything amazing keeping him at this point. He becomes a free agent in 2021 and has not signed an extension or confirmed he will 

Superstars want to play for big teams. It's a huge challenge to keep them. 

13 minutes ago, lexicon said:

If he leaves when we're in the prem, he certainly doesn't 'bleed claret and blue' IMO. 

The choice comes down to having a better chance of winning stuff or being fiercely loyal (arguably to a fault). He can't have/be both. 

I disagree. He is allowed to separate fandom from his professional career. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 4

Indeed. You can be an ambitious pro and a fan seperately. I don't think Jack will ever have the same connection with a club as he does here. But that doesn't mean that connection is lessened if he personally wants to go further in his career than being here will let him.

Which it won't, for the time being at the very least (and realistically I suspect I'll die having never seen Villa win anything of note again. I'm 31). I wouldn't blame him for going when the chance arises. He'll not be the same in my eyes anymore, he's just another player for someone else, but I won't hate him or pretend he's shit just because he's better than our standing right now 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

I would imagine if they match what they are paying Giannis & offer Grealish haf a million quid per week guaranteed for the next 4 years he would probably sign the contract...

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think that's unfair on Jack.

It's easy for us to say we'd never leave Villa and we'd only want to play for them.

But if any of us were as talented as Jack, with the ability to play for top clubs and win major trophies and play for the national team and earn ludicrous money, I don't think many of us would still choose to stay at Villa for our whole career.

We also wouldn’t bail out so quickly.  Leaving this summer would mean that.

Â