The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

No, it just means we aren't school kids in the playground and have watched enough football to see what happens. 

Top quality players end up playing for the big teams. 

I'm hoping the owners don't think they are school kids in a playground myself.

ALSO, how do Big teams become big teams?

Flipside, could you see Wolves bending over to allow the likes of Traore, Neves et al to go to Man U because they are too good for them?

People keep saying "this is football", but it is also the same NEW football which has seen "lesser clubs" than even us hold on to their top players in light of substantial offers from so called "Big Clubs".

If I were Jack reading these boards with all the "blessings" to go to a "bigger club" my head will have already gone.

Since the fans aren;t overly bothered then why should I be, they are all routing for me to fulfill my dreams with a better club. :)

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Flipside, could you see Wolves bending over to allow the likes of Traore, Neves et al to go to Man U because they are too good for them?

Come on mate nobody is saying the club are going to sell Grealish on the basis he is too good for us.  They will sell him if his valuation is met and he wants to leave. 

Plus in the past 10-15 years or so pretty much every club in this country has had to sell one of their best players because they wanted to leave and the valuation was met. What’s crucial is re-investing every penny of it.  

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Wolves are currently playing European football, challenging for the Europa League positions with an outside chance of challenging for the top 4. They're 1 place and 2 points behind Man Utd.
Aston Villa are battling relegation, could be playing in the championship next season and aren't even close to challenging for europe (cup win aside which I admit would change things) and are absolutely light years behind teams like Man City and Liverpool (who are the level of team Jack would be attracting imo)

It's not even nearly the same thing.

A better question would be "could you see West Ham bending over to allow the likes of Anderson, Haller et al to go to Manchester City because they are too good for them?"
And the answer would be yes.

Also, again, nobody is saying the club should bend over. Not one person in this thread has suggested we should just LET Jack leave. Everyone has said the club should do everything in its power to keep him.

But being realistic and suggesting he will probably move on is not the ludicrous sacrilege people are suggesting. We don't work for the club. We're fans.

We would all HATE to see Jack leave. But admitting that it's likely doesn't make you some sort of shit fan. It makes you aware of the reality of football. Very good players go to very good teams. That's life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Flipside, could you see Wolves bending over to allow the likes of Traore, Jota et al to go to Man U because they are too good for them?

Big teams used to become big teams by spending loads of money on good players, and being well run. Now FFP makes it much harder. Leicester are probably the only team in the major European leagues who have threatened to upset the established order of “big clubs” over the last decade (Man City were taken over by the Emiratis in 2008).

Why are you talking about Wolves bending over? Do you think anyone at Villa is bending over to let Grealish go? He is a much better player than Traore and Jota, anyway. Hard to think of an appropriate comparison. We’re almost in Maradona at Napoli territory.

I think we can hang on to him this summer if we stay up, but it’ll be a fight, and some big offers will come in for him. Admitting this is just stating facts.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

People keep saying "this is football", but it is also the same NEW football which has seen "lesser clubs" than even us hold on to their top players in light of substantial offers from so called "Big Clubs".

If I were Jack reading these boards with all the "blessings" to go to a "bigger club" my head will have already gone.

Since the fans aren;t overly bothered then why should I be, they are all routing for me to fulfill my dreams with a better club. :)

Come on. You think Jack Grealish is going to make a career decision based on VT comments. Laughable really. 

How do big teams become big teams? Many factors but it's no surprise that the big teams have been the big teams for a long time. 

It's all well and good wanting to keep Jack but that's not always enough. Ronaldo wanted to leave Man u, Neymar wanted to leave Barca, Pogba wanted to leave Juventus and now Man U again. It's football. This is what happens. 

The wolves analogy doesn't work. They're on the cusp of that top 4 positions. We are miles away. 

And to be honest if Neves wanted to leave, like most clubs, there wouldn't be much wolves could do. 

I mean this isn't new stuff. This is basically football for the last 20 years. 

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I am so fed up by this loser mentality among Villa fans that every superb player we have "deserve" to move on. Sometime it just doesn't come across you're Villa fans. 

Oh I'm a Villa fan, a non cave dwelling one too. I don't want him to leave but I completely understand why he would. I'd be disappointed if he went to the Manchesters but that is up to him and the board. I binned my claret n blue specs a long time ago but don't think for a minute that I'd  not want him to spend the rest of his career with Villa... There are so many rubbish players that have won titles and trophies so certainly Jack deserves the chance to do the same. If Villa can give him that then even better

• Like 1

I remain firmly in the sell over our dead body camp if we stay in PL. The days of lower PL clubs being bullied by other PL clubs have been over for a while. If anything the lower PL clubs are pulling the pants down of the buying clubs when they do sell and we don’t need the cash unless relegated.

In some football cultures there would be huge pressure applied from the fan base on a player not to leave. Turkish football springs to mind a little. I don’t want us to be like that but it’s odd to me that our social media fan base seems to be very passive/submissive about the prospects of losing possibly someone who could go onto be our greatest player ever. 

• Thanks 2

I'm at least heartened with how Palace handled the Zaha situation. Zaha was at where Jack will be next summer if we stay up. I'd wager we are a tad more ambitious than Palace are and might have an even better case to make to him. I imagine the club would barter with him, giving him its blessing if a City/Liverpool/Barca etc came in for him, but otherwise he stays and help us build for a European push. Winning the League Cup and qualifying for Europe ahead of schedule can help sweeten the deal too and ward off teams like United or Arsenal who will potentially also be in the Europa league.

• Like 3

Unless Jack forces a move, he's not going anywhere (provided we stay up). We have new owners now, who are on a whole different level compared to our previous ones. They don't need the money, and they are used to getting what they want.

In Milwaukee, Edens is putting over 250 mill (in five years) on the table to keep Giannis who's just turned 25.

If Edens sees anything remotely like Giannis in Jack, he'll keep him at any price. 

Edited by AVTuco
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Unless Jack forces a move, he's not going anywhere (provided we stay up). We have new owners now, who are on a whole different level compared to our previous ones. They don't need the money, and they are used to getting what they want.

In Milwaukee, Edens is putting over 250 mill (in five years) on the table to keep Giannis who's just turned 25.

If Edens sees anything remotely like Giannis in Jack, he'll keep him at any price. 

This!

I think if we stay up our owners will convince Jack to stay with their ambitions especially given the likely options of teams to go to arent most likely going to be the big two.  Eden can show that he means business from what he is doing with Giannis, and Nassef Sawiris isnt here to play games

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Heard you say this a few times.  Didn't you start supporting Villa because you liked the colours or something?

Partly. Think it mostly was out of empathy. It was the last shirt on a rack in London in 91 or something. Though tbf I had accociates that were Villa fans from the 70s, so can't say it's an unbiased choice I made. 

What I can say is that I've for the last 25 years travelled the world and watched football. Met fans from clubs every where, and going to Villa Park is generally up there with anything, bar Union Berlin. 

The only supporters who are as negative to their stature and future prospects as Villa fans that I've met, has to be AS Roma fans. 

It's obvious to anyone new recieving a relationship with this club how big it is, but for some reason whenever we get a good player the state of mind on here is 'lets bend over - we can't keep a good player'. Just baffles me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

That's so true.

People do keep saying he should go, no he shouldn't we should be feeling selfish over keeping him, he's been our top players for such a long time and I want it to stay that way whatever the costs or odds.

I want better for Jack while he is here and remains here and only if we get relegated and have no choice but to sell will I give my god damn blessing and respect Jacks wishes.

Jack should remain at this club forever in my eyes and if our Owners are to keep building on each season then were going to have to keep Jack for that to happen.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DCJonah said:

If we survive, our project next year will be a mid table finish. Why would he choose that over the offers that will clearly come in for him?

I actually think we stay up and we are aiming higher than mid table, doesn’t mean we’ll get it. Look at the league this season. Arsenal, are not very good Chelsea aren’t either. Shef Utd are tackling the top, Everton despite a poor start are up there as are Wolves. With a couple of good additions we easily could be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Heard you say this a few times.  Didn't you start supporting Villa because you liked the colours or something?

If he liked the colours so be it, there wernt many great colours back in the day to like apart from ours 😋

I still think if the moneys right and Jack wants to leave he will be sold. I also don’t think that’s bending over or small team mentally. Every player has his price.  We need a good team of players, Not an outstanding player surrounded by shit. 80-100 million for Jack plus another £100 million or so on top of that spent on new players will go along way in improving the team. 

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What do Villa deserve?

It's easy saying that but I'd be interested what sort of response he'd get going to Purslow and the owners end of season and asking them to sign better standard players. Would probably be some sort of excuse regarding FFP.

My hunch is he was a bit disappointed by what we did in January as we certainly don't look certs to sign up even though Reina and Samatta have done o.k so far, we needed a little more.

Ultimately if we can't improve quickly enough and get in players on his wavelength he isn't going to wait years waiting for us to do it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I still think if the moneys right and Jack wants to leave he will be sold. I also don’t think that’s bending over or small team mentally. Every player has his price.  We need a good team of players, Not an outstanding player surrounded by shit. 80-100 million for Jack plus another £100 million or so on top of that spent on new players will go along way in improving the team. 

I agree. I don’t think we will be given a choice because the demand for him will be so large and thus the money will be too big to ignore. I am expecting upwards of £100m and possibly £150m if he had a good euros.

Our owners will do what’s best for the long term of AVFC. Having all your eggs in one basket is a risky strategy. One bad tackle and you are in the doo doo. We need strength in every position and the sales of Jack will help to fund that making us much stronger overall.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

I completely agree.  Fans complain about the quality we have brought (mostly in hindsight) and then a player that is quality they say deserves to move on.

Do you not think he'd be more happier staying here if he saw real ambition for once in a summer and we signed 3-4 top class proven players in several positions. It's what clubs serious about breaking into the elite do.

From his POV he was linking up with a top striker in Abraham last season. Whatever way people spin it Wesley had to January was a massive downgrade. As much as I'm sure Jack would be encouraging and supporting Wesley on the training ground and dressing room privately he must've been pretty disappointing at having a weaker forward to combine with in a harder division. As we';ve seen just made the task of staying up much harder.

People act like signing these types of players is near impossible for us for some reason. We had it with Piatek all last window and he then goes and joins a Bundesliga club barely above the relegation zone which makes a mockery of that viewpoint.

People though Wolves signing likes of Rui Patricio, Jota and Ruben Neves would be just to make quick money on them but they're all still there and showing no signs of moving on. All significantly improved Wolves in last two years. I don't think it's unreasonable for Jack to be expecting us to attract that sort of quality in the near future? Could we not sign William Carvalho from Real Betis as a similar example to Moutinho?

Hopefully we stay up. Jack will be in England euros squad so in any case there wouldn't be any decision until August given he wouldn't be back in training until that point so plenty of time to have a transfer window that shows we mean business. As I've said before I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 3

Â