The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

15 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I agree he's that level. Lets try and get there though. Tough ask but possible, especially with Jack. He's not got a terminal illness. He has some time.

I agree we need to try and get there.

But it won't be any time soon. Jack will have left before then.

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

True let's sell Jack and bring in some players on our current level.... bring back Bacuna, Sinclair, Lescott and co to reflect the level we are currently at in the League.

I'm wondering if Everton fans were in uproar about Everton not selling Richarlison to Barca for 80 mill as thats what he "deserves" as he is too good for Evertons current level.

Leicester should have sold Vardy et al when they struggled a season or 2 ago as well.

Leeds fans should have insisted that Kalvin Phillips go and fulfill his ambitions as well.

Imagine if all clubs just rolled over and let go of their better players because they were "too good" for them.

It's as if people have forgotten how a club actually improves.

Then people complain about Big Club monopolys ffs.

You seem to have confused my post with someone who is advocating selling him.

I don't want to sell Grealish. I'd be over the moon if we kept him and I'm not for one second saying we shouldn't try to keep him.

But I'm being realistic. Grealish is a top 4 player. People are saying he's not too good for Villa. He is too good for our current level. That's all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Elton said:

So what? Zaha is too good for Palace. Anderson is too good for West Ham etc etc. Should every player at the club be on exactly the same level? 

No. Where did I say that? Surely you can see the context with Jack is far different from those two players? Firstly Jack is better than both of those players. Secondly, Zaha has tried at a big club and didn't cut it so has come back for a second spell. Felipe Anderson has only been at West Ham for a season and a half.

Jack is a player looking to make the next step in his career. It's totally different.

28 minutes ago, Elton said:

The fact that so many fans share your view is madness and probably permeates to the player by social media.

What view? That Grealish is better than Aston Villa's level? That's just common sense.

29 minutes ago, Elton said:

He is under contract and stays unless we choose to accept an offer. It’s that simple.

But it's not that simple. You know very well that's not how football works. If the player wants to go, he'll go.

29 minutes ago, Elton said:

We need to have a bit more of the John Gregory attitude to players wanting to move on than waving them off like it’s inevitable. We should be fighting tooth and nail to keep our best players and I’m sure we will.

You mean like when Dwight Yorke wanted to move to a much better team because he was too good for us?

Again, I'm not saying we shouldn't be fighting to keep our players. People seem to be reading my posts and thinking I'm saying we should just let him go. 

I'm not saying that. I was simply saying he's a player capable of a different level than Aston Villa are at.

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

How so?

I dont' understand what's hard about the concept?

Some players are better than the level of club they are playing at. They get bought by bigger clubs. This has happened for the past 100 years at every level of football.

If we stay up - I think he will stay simple as that.

To leave will as big a wrench to him and his family as it will be to fans. He would go from being the biggest fish and Captain of a biggish club, HIS club, to being a part of something bigger and supposedly 'better' at a club currently higher up than us. 

That said IF we go down, he's gone if only to kill the FFP implications and in a way his leaving HIS club would therefore help HIS club.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Again, I'm not saying we shouldn't be fighting to keep our players. People seem to be reading my posts and thinking I'm saying we should just let him go. 

I'm not saying that. I was simply saying he's a player capable of a different level than Aston Villa are at.

Maybe I misunderstood the intention of your post as I agree with the above. I just don’t like the defeatist attitude a lot of our fans have to losing someone who could go onto be our best player of all time.

I disagree though that it is inevitable to lose players that don’t  want to be at a club. That was the case in the Yorke era and much more recently but there has been a sea change in the last couple of seasons. PL clubs know that the fee that they get will be mostly swallowed up by the replacement costs and the risk of relegation/not qualifying for Europe or whatever the selling peril is, is not worth it.

Jack is not going on strike at his boyhood club. If players don’t want to see out contracts they shouldn’t sign them. We can hold onto him if we want to. Only way he can force a move is relegation as FFP/P&S will force us to and hopefully there isn’t a cut price relegation clause.

Edited by Elton
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elton said:

Maybe I misunderstood the intention of your post as I agree with the above. I just don’t like the defeatist attitude a lot of our fans have to losing someone who could go onto be our best player of all time.

I disagree though that it is inevitable to lose players that don’t  want to be at a club. That was the case in the Yorke era and much more recently but there has been a sea change in the last couple of seasons. PL clubs know that the fee that they get will be mostly swallowed up by the replacement costs and the risk of relegation/not qualifying for Europe or whatever the selling peril is, is not worth it.

Jack is not going on strike at his boyhood club. If players don’t want to see out contracts they shouldn’t sign them. We can hold onto him if we want to. Only way he can force a move is relegation as FFP/P&S will force us to and hopefully there isn’t a cut price relegation clause.

The problem is, I think the kind of money we'll get offered for Grealish will be too good to turn down. If we stay in this league I think we'll be attracting £80m plus.

That's a lot for a club at our current level to be turning down when we could be buying 3 or 4 more players with that money and breaking even (on transfer fees anyway)

I'd be as happy as anyone if we kept him. Ecstatic. 

I just don't agree with this "he's not better than Villa" narrative. He is. And that usually means the player moves on.

I can't think of anyone since Le Tissier where a club has held on to a player so much better than the level the club is at.

19 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I just don't know how we're going to cope without him

Great video that thanks. 

He easily could have had a minimum of another 2 assists yesterday. 
That run for the Luiz chance, he completely mugged off Alderweildeld (who is starting CB for the number one ranked side in world football). 
The guy is unreal. I really do question the sanity of any Villa fan who thinks he’s overrated 

• Like 2

Just now, Stevo985 said:

The problem is, I think the kind of money we'll get offered for Grealish will be too good to turn down. If we stay in this league I think we'll be attracting £80m plus.

That's a lot for a club at our current level to be turning down when we could be buying 3 or 4 more players with that money and breaking even (on transfer fees anyway)

I just don't agree with this "he's not better than Villa" narrative. He is. And that usually means the player moves on.

I can't think of anyone since Le Tissier where a club has held on to a player so much better than the level the club is at.

Alan Shearer is another. Gazza maybe and I’m sure there are others.

80 million plus doesn’t get you guaranteed quality that you are losing. Look at the 30/40m signings that the likes of Everton and West Ham have made.

1 minute ago, Elton said:

Alan Shearer is another. Gazza maybe and I’m sure there are others.

Shearer moved to his boyhood club for a world record fee and they were genuine title challengers at the time. I think that's a bit different.

3 minutes ago, Elton said:

80 million plus doesn’t get you guaranteed quality that you are losing. Look at the 30/40m signings that the likes of Everton and West Ham have made.

I do agree. But for a team so lacking in quality all over the pitch, that kind of money could be very attractive.

36 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I dont' understand what's hard about the concept?

Some players are better than the level of club they are playing at. They get bought by bigger clubs. This has happened for the past 100 years at every level of football.

yep there are plenty of measuring sticks, the champions league being the obvious one, he's good enough to play in that tournament and despite the best optimism about our owners investing etc the reality he wont ever play CL football with us, he wont ever win a league with us, might get a few days out at Wembley and a cup but that's it

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Shearer moved to his boyhood club for a world record fee and they were genuine title challengers at the time. I think that's a bit different.

I do agree. But for a team so lacking in quality all over the pitch, that kind of money could be very attractive.

Of course it’s different but still an example of a truly great player playing for his boyhood club and staying there for 10 years when he could have had guaranteed titles at Man U. He won nothing at Newcastle.

Grealish is about to play in his 2nd major cup final for his boyhood club. Our owners seem to be serious players. Stay up and push on was the plan and I’m sure if we do that’ll be with Jack.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

IF we stay up (big IF), then I'd hate for Jack to leave, but I'm salivating at the thought of the investment back into the team.

Let's say our owners are happy to put another £50-80m into the team anyway, then add the Grealish money into that and we're talking £130-150m being spent on improving the squad (and, before someone says that spending £120m didn't do us much good - we'll be able to spend it on a handful of players, instead of a whole team!)

Grealish going would be a blow, but it would soften it slightly if we were then able to bring in a few £30-40m players and a couple of £20m players.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Elton said:

Of course it’s different but still an example of a truly great player playing for his boyhood club and staying there for 10 years when he could have had guaranteed titles at Man U. He won nothing at Newcastle.
Grealish is about to play in his 2nd major cup final for his boyhood club. Our owners seem to be serious players. Stay up and push on was the plan and I’m sure if we do that’ll be with Jack.

shearer already had a league title and was effectively going home to see out his career (as well as Newcastle at the time were playing CL and finishing 2nd)

you could also make a decent argument that shearer wouldn't have had the options that jack probably will have, he had utd or Newcastle, jack could have a fair few European teams 

look at wolves, 2-3 years ahead of us, no CL, nowhere near the title, jack wont get CL here, its a sad reality

56 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Reminded me this video, twice in the first half we had clear as day decisions go against us. That shot from Grealish which clearly hit the defender and should have been our corner. And one which hit a spurs player face and went out for what should've been a clear goal kick and was given as a corner. It's this that VAR should be used for... 2 seconds to see it and a microphone in the refs ear saying that he's got that one wrong. 

Not for giving penalties which I really don't think it was and ruins the whole 'clear and obvious' debate. Sickening from top to bottom and clearly shows it's a way to get the big sides the win needed to keep them in the champions league. Disgusting

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Whats to say we couldn't spend that on 3 or 4 players if we stay up, ANYWAY?

It wouldn't surprise me if our survival sparked the "2nd phase" of the owners plans, and sponsorship's either being bumped up, and/or attracting larger sponsorship and partnership fees etc.

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

My advice fwiw is just soak up enjoying what is pretty much a once in a lifetime player, then, when he goes, enjoy watching him at the highest level.

With his combination of skill, leadership, passion, and determination, and given the context of how he dragged us up out of a potentially catastrophic time for the Club, we won’t see his like again.

Any Club would miss him when he went, but we have the present day, the near future, and a glorious recent past.

• Like 2

Â