The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Jack is a special talent, one that looks capable of being one of the best at the highest level. I hope achieves all the success in the world, but only with Aston Villa. 

All this ‘he’s too good for Villa’ crap, winds me up. He is the best player in our team, but we have ambitions and the finances to back them now. He’s also a huge Villa fan and under contract. I appreciate it’ll be nigh on impossible to keep him if we go down (which is not a certainty by the way), but if we don’t get relegated, then we should be doing all we can to keep him. 

I’m sick of hearing people virtually waving good bye to him. We are a big club, with a big future, we shouldn’t dismiss that, regardless of current form.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

And we'll never get there if anytime we have players like this we roll over and decide that they are too good for us and should go and play for a better club because they "deserve it" and are too good for us.

I'll admit I might have tunnel vision on this and I'm very defensive of the club, yes we obviously know the shortcomings we have, but I miss the days of loyalty.

It feels shit enough to have to hear/see members of the media and other clubs fans talking about how great he is and how shite we are, and it hurts me even more from our own fans ffs.

Unfortunately this is reality, i spend my cash watching the team around the country we are really poor. Loyalty in football is a very rare commodity. Lets be realistic Jack is a potential world class player who has shown some loyalty to Villa. Villa now matter how hard it is as a fan to say are still a struggling club looking for a foothold in the league. We are currently shite FACT . It hurts like hell but its the truth .  

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Do you think Grealish is too good for us? No player is bigger than the club

Unfortunately this is fantasy.

The reality is clubs at our level can't hang on to players at the level of Jack Grealish. He is too good to be playing for a team battling relegation.

Take off the claret and blue specs. Jack Grealish is far far better than Aston Villa. If he was playing for West Ham or Watford we'd be saying he's too good for them.

That is our level at the moment. We're not special.

Rather than say he's too good for Villa, say he's too good for relegation battles. That's true. If we survive and don't plan to be better next season then Jack should go. But hopefully that is the case.

While we're improving, Jack should stay. If we stagnate or regress, he should go. Simple as that to me really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Rather than say he's too good for Villa, say he's too good for relegation battles. That's true. If we survive and don't plan to be better next season then Jack should go. But hopefully that is the case.

While we're improving, Jack should stay. If we stagnate or regress, he should go. Simple as that to me really.

He's a top 4, champions league player. We are absolutely miles away from that.

He's too good for Villa.

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Do you think Grealish is too good for us? No player is bigger than the club

While this is true to an extent, some players are bigger than the club in this day and age. I remeber when Ronaldo moved to Juventus Madrid instantly lost something like a millions followers on social media and Juventus gained the same amount (please excuse the metric). This was because some people were of the opinion that Ronaldo was bigger than Madrid (saying that out loud sounds mental).

Now with regards to Grealish and Villa it's a tricky one. In the history of football Aston Villa is more important and bigger than Grealish.  Let's talk about the present and not focus on the past. Footballers have a short career and some have ambitions to win and challenge for trophies constantly other not. Grealish strikes me as the former here although this is an assumption. Luckily for us, he is also loyal otherwise he would have been off by now. Aston Villa has not been challenging for trophies at a high level consistently for a long time. They're probably on a par right now. We go down, my opinion is he is too big for the club. Similarly, if we stay up and keep hovering around the relegation places, I think that is also not good enough for Jack and that, he wants, and his talent warrants more.

If we stay up, improve, cut out the silly mistakes, get a bit more luck here and there then we can be challenging higher up the table. If our team as a whole performed/set up better defensively, we could be challenging for Europe especially now with City banned (it's only 15 points to the top 4). We still are challenging for Europe in the Carabao Cup. However, challenging year on year is what this club should be doing and also what Grealish should and most likely wants to be doing (again an assumption). 

So to the point of my rambling - Some players are bigger than some clubs and at the moment I think Villa and Grealish are equal. Whether they remain to be equal depends on the trajectory the club takes because I think Grealish is destined for bigger things than what this club is offering right now. I just hope he achieves those things with this club. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Unfortunately this is fantasy.

The reality is clubs at our level can't hang on to players at the level of Jack Grealish. He is too good to be playing for a team battling relegation.

Take off the claret and blue specs. Jack Grealish is far far better than Aston Villa. If he was playing for West Ham or Watford we'd be saying he's too good for them.

That is our level at the moment. We're not special.

No-one is too good for anyone, if and when he leaves, he will go with my blessing but we will get a good few for him which we can use to go some way to replacing him. We’re not special yet but I think we are slowly getting there, it’s a gradual process, we’re a newly promoted side. If we finish in 17th place, I’ll be over the moon

5 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

While this is true to an extent, some players are bigger than the club in this day and age. I remeber when Ronaldo moved to Juventus Madrid instantly lost something like a millions followers on social media and Juventus gained the same amount (please excuse the metric). This was because some people were of the opinion that Ronaldo was bigger than Madrid (saying that out loud sounds mental).

Now with regards to Grealish and Villa it's a tricky one. In the history of football Aston Villa is more important and bigger than Grealish.  Let's talk about the present and not focus on the past. Footballers have a short career and some have ambitions to win and challenge for trophies constantly other not. Grealish strikes me as the former here although this is an assumption. Luckily for us, he is also loyal otherwise he would have been off by now. Aston Villa has not been challenging for trophies at a high level consistently for a long time. They're probably on a par right now. We go down, my opinion is he is too big for the club. Similarly, if we stay up and keep hovering around the relegation places, I think that is also not good enough for Jack and that, he wants, and his talent warrants more.

If we stay up, improve, cut out the silly mistakes, get a bit more luck here and there then we can be challenging higher up the table. If our team as a whole performed/set up better defensively, we could be challenging for Europe especially now with City banned (it's only 15 points to the top 4). We still are challenging for Europe in the Carabao Cup. However, challenging year on year is what this club should be doing and also what Grealish should and most likely wants to be doing (again an assumption). 

So to the point of my rambling - Some players are bigger than some clubs and at the moment I think Villa and Grealish are equal. Whether they remain to be equal depends on the trajectory the club takes because I think Grealish is destined for bigger things than what this club is offering right now. I just hope he achieves those things with this club. 

Well phrased, I think you are spot on, I had to read it a few times but I think I get it now

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He's too good for Villa.

So what? Zaha is too good for Palace. Anderson is too good for West Ham etc etc. Should every player at the club be on exactly the same level? 

The fact that so many fans share your view is madness and probably permeates to the player by social media. He is under contract and stays unless we choose to accept an offer. It’s that simple. Football has moved on, which is why clubs can’t even get Lewis Dunk out of Brighton or Zaha out of Palace.

We need to have a bit more of the John Gregory attitude to players wanting to move on than waving them off like it’s inevitable. We should be fighting tooth and nail to keep our best players and I’m sure we will.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He's too good for Villa.

I agree he's that level. Lets try and get there though. Tough ask but possible, especially with Jack. He's not got a terminal illness. He has some time.

• Like 2

I know this might be a slightly unpopular opinion but I don't think he was that great yesterday, in the final third at least. Had a lot of crosses blocked and shooting wasn't quite there either. I'm not saying he played badly, mind. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I agree he's that level. Lets try and get there though. Tough ask but possible, especially with Jack. He's not got a terminal illness. He has some time.

Exactly. Also he’s 24? Given his style of play I fully expect him to be playing at the top level well in to his mid 30’s if he wants to. He has a minimum 10 years of a top level career and is about to play in his 4th Wembley final (including 2 major comps) at the club he supports. He’s hardly being kept hostage.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I know this might be a slightly unpopular opinion but I don't think he was that great yesterday, in the final third at least. Had a lot of crosses blocked and shooting wasn't quite there either. I'm not saying he played badly, mind. 

I think he started incredibly brightly and played through them with ease, got got frustrated throughout the game and it affects his decisions.

We see it quite frequently. Towards the start of the game, I often wonder why he's trying to put it on a plate for someone else when he's capable of scoring from the positions he gets in, and towards the end of the game he's often trying to just do it all and smashing it at the goal when there are better options. Can't blame him, but you see it affecting his game as he becomes more frustrated as the team lets him down. 

32 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

No-one is too good for anyone, if and when he leaves, he will go with my blessing but we will get a good few for him which we can use to go some way to replacing him. We’re not special yet but I think we are slowly getting there, it’s a gradual process, we’re a newly promoted side. If we finish in 17th place, I’ll be over the moon

Yes they are

Â