The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

It would be interesting to see if some means of limiting the transfers a team can make per season depending on different factors could work...

For instance: Winning the league means that you can only sign one player the following season... If you wish to sign any more, you need to sell or release or have a member of your declared squad from the previous season retire...
For example: Liverpool win the league this year, and they fancy signing Akinfenwa (why not?)... They won the league, so thats their signing... If they wanted to sign Mbappe, they would then have to part with a member of their squad who was named in their title winning team...

Teams in second can sign two,
Third sign three etc etc

All the way down to I dunno... 10th...

This would mean that teams who benefit from Financial Fair Play and ruling the roost couldnt just buy every player, horde youth and farm them out for loans; they would have their hands forced to either play them or sell them...

Edited by DJ_Villain

1 hour ago, sne said:

Problem with a salary cap is that those US leagues have no competition. They are the best and pretty much only relevant leagues in their respective sports.

Everyone want's to play in the NHL and NBA if you play hockey or basketball and if you play baseball or American football it's even more so. And the money is astronomical compared to anywhere else.

Football doesn't work like that. The salary cap would have to be so high that it would be pointless anyway or else all the best players would bugger off to whatever team and league would be willing to pony up the cash.

I take your point. I think the capped salaries would still be huge in the PL though compared to most if not all leagues. And it would still be the most watched, hence command higher sponsorships, images rights etc.

• Like 1

I'm really not a fan of a system which significantly handicaps the top teams just so that the bottom teams can catch up. Its not like its impossible for the bottom teams to get up there with good investment. just look at Leicester, Wolves and Sheffield.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mazrim said:

It's only a matter of time before its replaced.

Yes it's a weak system and as soon as the idea of a more realistic system comes into play that can protect troubled clubs all while aiding clubs who can afford to spend comes along, it will be replaced eventually.

Sooner the better though it's replaced.

25 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I'm really not a fan of a system which significantly handicaps the top teams just so that the bottom teams can catch up. Its not like its impossible for the bottom teams to get up there with good investment. just look at Leicester, Wolves and Sheffield.

well the current system significantly handicaps the bottom teams...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

well the current system significantly handicaps the bottom teams...

It should only Handicap the bottom teams if they can't supply proof that they can invest. It's a simple solution really that could be sorted out in no time which makes you wonder why it hasn't been. FFP has had a few clubs who should of been protected gone under with the system which has shown it hasn't worked. Why havnt the football top chiefs sorted the mess of it out, is it really to do with the top clubs in the premier or is it something else we just don't know do we.

38 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I take your point. I think the capped salaries would still be huge in the PL though compared to most if not all leagues. And it would still be the most watched, hence command higher sponsorships, images rights etc.

I think it would push the mega rich clubs even closer to that Europa Super League they are already gagging for. They have zero interest in weakening their ability to compete with the other European powerhouses. 

Everyone would wan't something like this imposed at the time that is most opportune to them. I mean we certainly would not have wanted it in place when we were outspending our Championship rivals the last few seasons spending huge amounts of cash and having a £73m wage budget compared to the £10m-50m the other clubs spent. Now we are hamstrung by FFP it seems like a grand idea all of a sudden.

Let's say there is a PL salary cap, and one in the Championship as well. Those relegated clubs would have to slash their salaries by 50-70% to comply and not many players would want to sign a contract with a clause like that in it. And that's the other thing, those US leagues are closed, there is no relegation or promotion. A system like that would be (almost) impossible to impose in football unless you close your leagues and get rid of the European competitions.

• Like 1

I don't think a salary cap is workable in a system like football where there are countless competitions and divisions to move between.

I'd like to see a tightening of squad sizes and how many players a club can loan out though. It needs to be a burden for big clubs to hoard talent. Clubs (including us) shouldn't be able to loan out 10 players (or 30 in Chelsea's case). Maybe have a capped squad size of 25 including loaned out players for all competitions, and any player over that incurs a luxury tax to be distributed to the rest of the league. I haven't thought hard about a solution, but it's definitely a problem IMO.

13 minutes ago, sne said:

I think it would push the mega rich clubs even closer to that Europa Super League they are already gagging for. They have zero interest in weakening their ability to compete with the other European powerhouses. 

It would be a big gamble to join a league were most of them would be little fish. How many top 4 fans would stick with their team when they are losing week in week out, not many I guess. They would just move to the winning teams like they have in England .

It's pretty much impossible to reach Man City levels of revenue in such a short space of time when hamstrung by FFP. What could a club conceivably do? It would take a couple of decades of steady growth to get to that level? Whereas they got there by injecting a lot of cash so their team could be among the elite. All FFP did was shut the door behind them and PSG. It didn't do anything about the massive gaps. At the very least, give other teams the opportunity to be bankrolled by billionaires to the top because that seems like the only way any of them would bridge the gap anyway. For all the talk of Leicester, Sheffield United and Wolves, even they have a clear glass ceiling. Bar the 2016 miracle, none of them have a prayer of ever winning a league title. They just don't have the squads, and with FFP, they never will.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Could you imagine if it’s his first start 

Hopefully not. Hopefully we get to send him off at home as the new golden boy of English football to represent Aston Villa at international level for England. Whether he stays or goes he'll go the Euros as a Villa player if Southgate gets his brain together. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Hopefully not. Hopefully we get to send him off at home as the new golden boy of English football to represent Aston Villa at international level for England. Whether he stays or goes he'll go the Euros as a Villa player if Southgate gets his brain together. 

Surely he can't ignore him now? 

In fairness to Southgate, since the last time Jack was actually fit enough to play for England he has stepped it up another level. People, non-Villa fans, pundits, anyone who 'knows' football is talking about him as one of the best players England possess. Honestly not picking him in the next squad would be like ignoring a potential heir to Gazza.

This is Jack's Italia '90. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

What are the chances of Jack turning out at Villa Park for England before heading off to the Euros??? I think very big indeed!!

You think he’ll just walk in to the England team? Ahead of who? I think we are overrating him, don’t get me wrong, I think he’s very good but just not quite as good as everyone else

33 minutes ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

Didn't even look at the profile name and knew you just wrote that.

Green: "Talented, eye for goal and oozes class. Madrid will come sniffing and he'll go on to do great things."

RHM: "Huge talent, will go on to have an amazig career away from Villa. PSG and Barca will be chasing him in a few years."

O'Hare: "Massive talent, great touch and vision. Next coming of Zidane. Will be worth 250M."

Jack: "Meh, overrated tbh..."

I don’t think O’Hare is that good either, I think the whole country is overrating Grealish, he drifts in and out of games, doesn’t dominate and then pops up with a piece of magic which papers over the cracks. The defensive side of his game isn’t the best either, he isn’t great in the air. Against Man City at Villa Park when we lost 6-1, he was awful

47 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I don’t think O’Hare is that good either, I think the whole country is overrating Grealish, he drifts in and out of games, doesn’t dominate and then pops up with a piece of magic which papers over the cracks. The defensive side of his game isn’t the best either, he isn’t great in the air. Against Man City at Villa Park when we lost 6-1, he was awful

This is absolutely baffling.

• Like 4

Â