The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

9 minutes ago, terrytini said:

We aren’t going down , we are wealthier than Man United, and Jacks going nowhere.

This might have held some substance if FFP wasn't in play.

"Wealth" is now about turnover, not what your owners are worth.

So we are nowhere near as wealthy as Man U.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

"Wealth" is now about turnover, not what your owners are worth.

So we are nowhere near as wealthy as Man U.

I disagree. 
FFP will - for now - limit our spending on players. (Not necessarily a bad thing if you look at what spending hundreds of millions has achieved at United, whilst Leicester, under FFP constraints, won the League.)

But..
There are many many ways wealthy owners can still impact a Club, and we have wealthy owners, whereas United have a bunch of shysters.

Wealth is wealth.

In my opinion.

And I fully expect FFP to disappear up its own backside before too long.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 3

I know it’s all hypothetical... but the penalties for breaching the PL’s FFP seem to just be pretty much financially based. Man City were fined £49m, had spending restrictions imposed and could only name a 21-man Champions League squad for 2014-15. ... well if we really are rich we can just pay the £49m fine, and if we made it to Europe just have one season where we’d have a smaller squad. If you’re a multibillionaire I doubt they’re intimidated by fines. Not saying we should do that, but the penalties aren’t really that big of a deal (points deduction would be way worse imo) but the precedent has been set I think.

Edited by alreadyexists

5 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I know it’s all hypothetical... but the penalties for breaching the PL’s FFP seem to just be pretty much financially based. Man City were fined £49m, had spending restrictions imposed and could only name a 21-man Champions League squad for 2014-15. ... well if we really are rich we can just pay the £49m fine, and if we made it to Europe just have one season where we’d have a smaller squad. If you’re a multibillionaire I doubt they’re intimidated by fines. Not saying we should do that, but the penalties aren’t really that big of a deal (points deduction would be way worse imo) but the precedent has been set I think.

It’s for another thread, but I agree. The list of feeble “ punishments” is laughable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Will be interesting hearing Smiths press conference. Hopefully he is firm in re-iterating he wont be going anywhere/under contract/not for sale. How will we ever be able to compete again if we fail to keep hold of a lifelong fan in a period whereby we have money and ambitious ownership. Rebuilding the club you love has to come before rebuilding a different club in the same division

To some extent I agree, but equally there is going to be speculation about Jack moving every week forever and he won’t just address it every time (and that creates its own headline and feeds the cycle).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, terrytini said:

We aren’t going down , we are wealthier than Man United, and Jacks going nowhere.

Jack may have to go at some point to allow us to invest, we can't just spend because we have rich owners it all has to be done within the restraints of our revenue and FFP. We simply don't have and never will have revenue streams like some of the big clubs.

Edited by zab6359

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Its been as much as a disaster for the premier league as VAR has been. If that Premflix comes in I think FFP will be gone, they will need clubs to start pumping money in again if Premflix is expected to take in that 26 billion they think it will generate.

The quicker FFP dissapear the better. Although I firmly do believe that clubs and it's owners should have to submit proof that they have the currency to back there any financial purchases, developments to do with there club so none can get into financial trouble as we've recently seen. The problem with FFP is it just has not worked how it should have, instead it's held clubs back owners who can afford to fund there clubs, yet it hasn't protected the clubs that did need help.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 4

I personally think FFP is here to stay. There’s no way they will let it go back to the days of teams like City and Chelsea pretty much buying who they want with extortionate transfer fees and wages. 

It’s a shame considering how wealthy our owners are but that ship has sailed I’m afraid.

• Like 1

It will change at some point. It will have to.

At the moment it's basically a restraint of trade. Money talks and with so much potential money not coming into the game due to FFP, it will be the bullshit that walks. It doesn't work as it should.

There should be some financial safeguards in place of course, but the system as it is is not fair or balanced. It's only a matter of time before its replaced.

• Like 2

A think the best thing to happen for the game would be a salary cap. The top players would then be distributed throughout the league more. You wouldn't have good players happy to just be squad players earning large amounts of money. You wouldn't have 2 or 3 teams getting all the best players.

American sports do this well in some areas. A sport like NFL seems to have things in place that encourage superstars to stay with their teams and not just all go and join the big 3 or 4 in the league. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

A think the best thing to happen for the game would be a salary cap. The top players would then be distributed throughout the league more. You wouldn't have good players happy to just be squad players earning large amounts of money. You wouldn't have 2 or 3 teams getting all the best players.

American sports do this well in some areas. A sport like NFL seems to have things in place that encourage superstars to stay with their teams and not just all go and join the big 3 or 4 in the league. 

Agreed. 

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Its died down a bit now but when man City were signing the likes of sinclair on £60k a week and then putting him in the reserves cos they didn't register him then yeah that was definitely the answer, Chelsea and their stockpiling youngsters too

I seem to remember there being some EU law that was the excuse for not doing it and also limiting the number of foreigners (several other leagues restrict the number of non EU players) 

I think the horse has bolted and if the cap was introduced it would be at the upper limit, so for example £300m which in theory has an impact on utd and city's spending but in reality has no impact on the disparity of Sheffield utd spending £15m a year so it becomes a bit pointless 

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

There is a salary cap in the NRL down here, but there are always 2 clubs that somehow manage to get all the best players while "staying under the cap". It's just wealthy backers with good accountants and lots of 3rd party sponsorship deals for their players.

Creative accounting shouldn't be the overriding factor on making a team overly competitive in a "fair" salary cap system. FFP would actually be better.

Now I'm no expert on the American NFL system, but I believe there is a "tax" for going over the salary cap. That is, say the Dallas cowboys want to buy a player for $60 mill over the salary cap. They then have to pay the tax - another $60 mill on top of that, split equally across every other club. It still lets them get the best players but doesn't leave the competition lagging way behind.

That system would work better to stop the likes of Chelsea, Man Citeh and ManUre being leagues ahead of the likes of Brighton, Bournemouth and Burnley.

There's a lot more penalties than just fines for breaking the NFL salary cap. Contracts can be declared null and void by proxy and you can lose draft picks, which is a huge deal. Its the main reason why breaking the salary cap doesn't really happen. It's just not worth it.

We can learn a lot from US sports systems. They really have it right in many ways in terms of fairness and distribution of talent. Despite being the most capitalist place on earth, the sports systems are very egalitarian.
We could and should adopt the draft system and salary cap at least. Players can earn more through sponsorship if they wish, or deserve.

6 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

What’s this rubbish about Jack having a £45m release clause? 

Probably exactly that, rubbish. If that release clause was there it would have been activated in January.

He might have a relegation clause in there, but given he signed his contract when we were still in the Championship (I think), then I'd be surprised.

Hopefully there's no release clause in there whatsoever.

Problem with a salary cap is that those US leagues have no competition. They are the best and pretty much only relevant leagues in their respective sports.

Everyone want's to play in the NHL and NBA if you play hockey or basketball and if you play baseball or American football it's even more so. And the money is astronomical compared to anywhere else.

Football doesn't work like that. The salary cap would have to be so high that it would be pointless anyway or else all the best players would bugger off to whatever team and league would be willing to pony up the cash.

Â