The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

31 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Only reason he'd stay is if we had an elite manager like Everton just appointed.

Jack won't be happy to be in a relegation fight every year. And this whole thing of the coaching staff and players "learning" just adds to him leaving sooner.

If the board had been serious they should have gone and got Benitez or Ancelotti. Then things might have been different. Right now Jack is leaving in the summer regardless if we survive or get relegated.

You'd be a lot happier if you didn't expect the impossible. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MaVilla said:

About as much chance as me dating Kate Beckinsale.....

Unless you mean pre season, then you may have a chance of being right.... :)

Don't give up on either yet. Who knows Kate may be well up for Rehab Friday at Snobs.😉

Just to play devils advocate, Utd mightn't be anything special at this moment in time but Jack grew up, like many of us, watching them dominate football in this country an fostering generational talents that are written into PL legacy. They still have massive worldwide appeal and just maybe Jack realises that if he were to join them and help them regain their spot as one of the best teams in the country he would be a hero. This may be more appealing than joining a team at their peak and perhaps trying to replace an older, successful player. 

For the record, I hope I am wrong.

i also believe that people can justify their actions and decisions to suit their agenda and Jack could (perhaps not incorrectly) tell himself that by Villa selling him for a massive fee (higher than the club itself was valued at a few years ago), he is actually helping the club he loves long term.

Again, I hope I am wrong.

The other thing that concerns me is the lack of stability at the club the entire time he has been a senior player. It has been a revolving door of owners, managers, CEO's training staff etc so there hasn't been one consistent figurehead that Jack would feel massive loyalty towards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Only reason he'd stay is if we had an elite manager like Everton just appointed.

Jack won't be happy to be in a relegation fight every year. And this whole thing of the coaching staff and players "learning" just adds to him leaving sooner.

If the board had been serious they should have gone and got Benitez or Ancelotti. Then things might have been different. Right now Jack is leaving in the summer regardless if we survive or get relegated.

nothing to do with smith

the reality is your last comment is correct but that's regardless of the manager, regardless of what league we are in, regardless of what wages we can offer him, regardless of the £150m we might have to spend or who we bring in if the likes of city or barca or madrid or a.n.other European giant comes in for him then its a case of how much can we get for him because he's gone

realistically you can say about staying in the PL and all this money we will have and potential and us getting better blah blah look at wolves, 2 years ahead of us (and doing a better job of it) might sneak CL this year if a lot of things go their way, even if you were to be the eternal optimist and say we can do it by the time we do grealish's window to join an elite club will be gone, he wont ever compete for the title with us, its very doubtful he will ever play in the CL for us

and FWIW go and get a rafa, or go and get an Ancelotti - if grealish was a Newcastle or everton players under those managers then he would have the same trophy cabinet and same CL appearances as he has right now, that's the level of disparity in the PL

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I think you’re wrong, I think you’re maybe being influenced by the current noise being created by some sections of the RedTop media. I think that, the England team aside, it’s very much in Villa’s hands as to whether they retain Jack Grealish for 20/21. If Southgate continues to not select Jack then that might influence Jack towards thinking a move is needed to fulfill his international ambitions. I don’t see that happening, though, as Southgate has selected players from all types of premier league clubs. There’s every chance Grealish goes to Euro20 and makes himself an England star.

Domestically Villa have to stay up, and preferably finish the season relatively strongly to set us up for good summer recruitment that would put better players around Grealish. Thus far the paper talk is 90% ManUtd being the club he goes to for around £60m. Two things wouldn’t stack up with that scenario; 1) Man Utd might not be playing any European football, let alone champions league. 2) £60m is fanciful. Utd paid £80m for a CB. Why will Villa sell at £60-80m when £40m buys you a Haller or Jolinton in today’s market? It would be really stupid business. We’d need Suarez type money where we could go and buy VVD & Allisson types to really strengthen other parts of our team. 
Unless you can get the type of money to do the above (ie, bring in 2-3 really good prospects) then you retain Grealish. I would hope our owners have removed any release clauses, or certainly set any clause at around £150m. I’ve said it before, Grealish is almost unique in his style, he is the closest thing in the current game to a Messi. Pundits have talked about similarities to Gascoigne. Top, top, world class players who demand market leading transfer fees. 
Im certain our owners aren’t mugs who don’t know the value of an asset, and thus if Jack does leave this summer it’ll be for the type of money that could transform AVFC on the pitch. 

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

Just to play devils advocate, Utd mightn't be anything special at this moment in time but Jack grew up, like many of us, watching them dominate football in this country an fostering generational talents that are written into PL legacy. They still have massive worldwide appeal and just maybe Jack realises that if he were to join them and help them regain their spot as one of the best teams in the country he would be a hero. This may be more appealing than joining a team at their peak and perhaps trying to replace an older, successful player. 

For the record, I hope I am wrong.

i also believe that people can justify their actions and decisions to suit their agenda and Jack could (perhaps not incorrectly) tell himself that by Villa selling him for a massive fee (higher than the club itself was valued at a few years ago), he is actually helping the club he loves long term.

Again, I hope I am wrong.

The other thing that concerns me is the lack of stability at the club the entire time he has been a senior player. It has been a revolving door of owners, managers, CEO's training staff etc so there hasn't been one consistent figurehead that Jack would feel massive loyalty towards.

Nah United are obviously a massive club, no matter how much self denial we impose.

However at this current time, if you were Jack, would you go and help them rebuild their club, or your own?

As i've said multiple times, at 26 or 27, Jack leaving would be a good time for him as he will have further developed, given us great service and should hopefully see us now in the position of say, an Everton or Spurs, where one player going won't kill us.

The money could then be reinvested into adequate quality to supplement the team.

Aside from that, it's baffling how people just ignore the fact that they've literally just signed Bruno Fernandes in the same position.

13 hours ago, John said:

Jack might just find himself playing in Europe with us next season. Newton Heath are no certainties to qualify and we have a shout at qualification, at the start of next month. It's a long shot, but stranger things have happened over the years. 

More chance with us than with Utd in my opinion. We're one game away, whereas they'll have to finish above at least 4 (if we win the League Cup) of Chelsea, Sheff Utd, Tottenham, Everton (currently above them), Wolves and Arsenal (currently below), or win the FA cup. Just can't see why he would go there in the slightest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

I think you’re wrong, I think you’re maybe being influenced by the current noise being created by some sections of the RedTop media. I think that, the England team aside, it’s very much in Villa’s hands as to whether they retain Jack Grealish for 20/21. If Southgate continues to not select Jack then that might influence Jack towards thinking a move is needed to fulfill his international ambitions. I don’t see that happening, though, as Southgate has selected players from all types of premier league clubs. There’s every chance Grealish goes to Euro20 and makes himself an England star.

Domestically Villa have to stay up, and preferably finish the season relatively strongly to set us up for good summer recruitment that would put better players around Grealish. Thus far the paper talk is 90% ManUtd being the club he goes to for around £60m. Two things wouldn’t stack up with that scenario; 1) Man Utd might not be playing any European football, let alone champions league. 2) £60m is fanciful. Utd paid £80m for a CB. Why will Villa sell at £60-80m when £40m buys you a Haller or Jolinton in today’s market? It would be really stupid business. We’d need Suarez type money where we could go and buy VVD & Allisson types to really strengthen other parts of our team. 
Unless you can get the type of money to do the above (ie, bring in 2-3 really good prospects) then you retain Grealish. I would hope our owners have removed any release clauses, or certainly set any clause at around £150m. I’ve said it before, Grealish is almost unique in his style, he is the closest thing in the current game to a Messi. Pundits have talked about similarities to Gascoigne. Top, top, world class players who demand market leading transfer fees. 
Im certain our owners aren’t mugs who don’t know the value of an asset, and thus if Jack does leave this summer it’ll be for the type of money that could transform AVFC on the pitch. 

I think it will depend on Jack, to be honest.  If he really wants to move, we'll let him do so - particularly after what he's given us over the past couple of seasons.

the good thing about the manure link is that IF he goes there they will pay us a gazillion £. Literally a gazillion.

With the way that the club is run that is the only pull they have.

I am confident if he went to Real he would go for less just because of how stupid Man U transfer policy is.

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I’m sorry, have you spoken to Jack?
Please provide more feedback on your conversations with him around this.

Thanks

3 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Only, if its spent wisely.

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

You'd be a lot happier if you didn't expect the impossible. 

To be honest I was absolutely gobsmacked when Everton appointed Ancelotti. You'd think he could do far better than them. So actually, nothing is impossible, we're just led to believe it is because we as a club never pull off the impossible. 

18 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

It's all typical Fergie tactics to get him on the cheap as has been said by others. Basically it's tapping up but hidden behind a wall of smoke...i.e the media buddies. It's been incessant too, he was going to them in January too "apparently".

I think the general idea is to unsettle the player, fill his head with £££££'s & deluded promises of glory and thus he kicks up a fuss resulting in a weakened bargaining position for us. It's them trying to counterbalance the fact that we have almost all of the cards (the only card we don't have "yet" is whether we will still be a Premier League team in the summer hence the trying to unsettle him now).

What is apparent is how weak Solskaer is up there, clearly Fergie is simply pulling his strings.

its a distraction from their performances, their fans crave.

22 hours ago, thunderball said:

Nothing to see here.

If we stay up, phase 2 starts and it will involve bigger names all across the pitch, I expect to see 4x established senior players (total £150m) and several more youth investments, with Jota, Lansbury, Taylor, et al departing. 

I think Jack will get a mega bucks new deal and him to give us one more season to show our credentials before/if he considers leaving. He will be worth much more aged 25 with another PL season under his belt, and possibly an England tournament. I see Jack as a £100m player in 12-18months, look at Zaha at Palace, they won't budge from £80m and Jack is better than Wilfred already. We don't need to sell.

However if we go down I am 99% certain he would leave.

ditto.

On 09/02/2020 at 13:51, Nigel said:

2 big points are being overlooked by this latest story, the first of which Is a bit of blatant common sense...why would he go to man utd?

If he is put up for sale he will have the pick of most teams, the only way they get to the top of the pile is simply blowing the other teams out of the water financially,  and (with the rebuilding job they have) I'm not so sure they can afford to do that!

I'd guess these stories are coming from their end to attempt to get into Jack's thinking, to try and get him to get familiar with playing for them. It's an old trick fergie used to use, I'd guess he has been offering a bit of advice here.

The second point would render this all pointless in that I'm not sure we can afford to let him go currently. Our owners have previously mentioned he IS aston villa, and most noises coming out mention what we all know, hes too important. This would play far more into what Guardiola intimated a few months back when he replied about his off putting value.

If this is the case the only way he is sold is if jack forces his hand, would that ever happen?....at least this summer?

My thoughts are that the only reason he leaves (if we stay up obviously) is if we simply cant turn down the offer. 

I'd hope our owners thoughts on this figure match my own!

I agree.

The concern is, if we stay up and the promotion from the championship, was orchestrated by Jack.....we have to be very sure we can buy to compensate him....There is no evidence to suggest we can.

My strategy would be if we stay up, would be to sell the idea to him to build a quality team around him....but I have no idea what his inner feelings are.

Â