The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

What has he done to be labelled by some as the best player ever to play for the club? It’s hyperbole to the max and an insult to past greats in my opinion 

Old timers come up to me and say gary shaw this gary shaw that. Shaw was in a team full of top draw players. he knew he'd get the ball perfectly into stride so he could "cause confusion"

Grealish is surrounded by bumfluff, every pass he has to adjust his whole body.

Mings is influential,  but not great great. you need him out there just like we needed Vlaar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

What has he done to be labelled by some as the best player ever to play for the club? It’s hyperbole to the max and an insult to past greats in my opinion 

Who are the other great players you have seen who has attempted by his own skills and sweat to single handedly keep the club afloat?

ATB

VLD

2 hours ago, Graham t said:

Who are the other great players you have seen who has attempted by his own skills and sweat to single handedly keep the club afloat?

ATB

VLD

Bjarnason and his goal against Wolves.

Because he has International caps.  lol.

7 hours ago, screwdriver said:

Mings is influential,  but not great great. you need him out there just like we needed Vlaar.

Given the way this team defends, I have a very hard time calling any of our defensive players great. I think Mings is just the best of what we have.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Not trolling at all, Cahill has gone on to win 61 England caps, the Champions League, he’s had a great career, he was always destined for big things, he hasn’t disappointed. 

Grealish could go on to have a great career but he’s done next to nothing so far...oh wait he holds the record for 20 consecutive defeats in the Premier League. People that are saying that he’s the best player ever to play for the club need a reality check in my opinion 

Mings is a current England international so is Heaton, we have many internationals in our squad 

Gareth Bale holds the next longest record. And has gone on to score in 3 champions league victories. And probably scored the greatest goal in a champions league final ever. 

16 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Dwight Yorke, Christian Benteke, you?

Benteke maybe , Yorke ......never scored goals to keep us up and he was surrounded by top quality players, unlike Grealish and Benteke.

14 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Grealish is the best player that I have seen in a Villa shirt in 60+ years. If he leaves, like many, I will be very sad. However, I support AVFC and if Jack joins Manure, Man citeh etc he will be totally dead to me. Players come and go. AVFC will be the poorer for it, but life goes on. 

It’s always hard to compare players in different teams and at different times. I was born in 1963 so I think you’ve got a few years on me Mike, but I would say that Jack is certainly one of the best I’ve seen in my lifetime, I’ll resist from drawing up a list, because as I say it’s hard to draw comparisons. 

The part of your post I agree with completely is the second part. I know some players leave with more dignity and respect than others, but once they’re gone that’s it for me, it’s always all about The Villa. I’ve never had a shirt with player’s name on and think it’s a very risky thing to do, unless perhaps they’ve retired. Perhaps I'll get one with Jack’s name on in about 10 years time when he lifts the European Cup for us and announces his retirement. 

we can’t replace Grealish, we would have to adapt and get a few additions to be more well rounded.

Watched Palace earlier and thought about Zaha as a comparison who has been linked to clubs in the top half of the league for ages.  Both fouled a lot and have a similar stature at their clubs but as far as influence on a game goes Jack is a level above and his style is rare in football. I don’t think it’s outrageous now to say he’d have influence at any club in the world, even if it was as a squad player at the very elite. I’ll be devastated when he moves on but i’ll be watching his career as a fan wherever he goes. Just please not Liverpool.

• Like 1

On 07/02/2020 at 12:29, screwdriver said:

I would bring in John Stones, Declan Rice, Gerrard Delafeo, a top striker to cover Barry and Wilfrid Saha unless Bale wants a return to the prem. and go back for Butland. This quality would ensure bring us champions league qualification and keep a claret and blue shirt on Jacks back.

All these so called big clubs should start sniffing around wolves. They've got some good players who go under the radar week in week out. and when's nuno going to get a big job?

Man. City actually wanted to sign Ruben Neves last season. Wanted to sign him for 50m, Wolves wanted 80m. They signed Rodri instead.

Difference here is Wolves already in europe and this season 6 points off 4th so Neves in no rush to move.

On 07/02/2020 at 13:52, sir_gary_cahill said:

Targett and Guilbert?

I don't mind Freddie and Targett has improved a bit recently but full backs like them are at best mid table. For example Everton have better full backs and they've been in the bottom half for prettyy much all the season.

How many international caps do they have again? A great player should be regularly playing for their national team. You could throw that at Grealish of course but that's an exceptional case and in any case he will be in the squad for March games and euro 2020 so will get plenty of caps over next six months.

Â