The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

6 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Didn’t Pep Guardiola say that even they haven’t got enough money for him? 

Sorry for being late to the thread - but that is the exact player I was thinking about when I pondered ManCity. Jack woiuld be a natural for that position

16 minutes ago, SirSteveUK said:

Sorry for being late to the thread - but that is the exact player I was thinking about when I pondered ManCity. Jack woiuld be a natural for that position

Didn’t Pep Guardiola say that Phil Foden is the best young player he’s ever coached? If City did buy Grealish, wouldn’t they be in direct competition?

28 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Yes, we did have great CBs at the time. Mellberg and Laursen were better than Cahill, ergo Cahill is not the best player you've seen play for us 😉

If you don't see it with Jack, that's fair enough; you're entitled to your opinion. In my time watching Villa, he's in a potentially world class category with a population of 2 alongside Martin Laursen. I saw Yorke, Bosnich, etc play for us but was too young to truly judge them.

How old are you? I’m 28, I assume that we’re similar ages. I’d say it was close between Laursen and Cahill, Mellberg wasn’t as good as the other 2 in my opinion 

Being potentially world class and world class are two entirely different categories in my opinion, do you agree?

Grealish is only 24 years old, there is still a lot of growth for him to do but he seems to have outgrown our club already, do you agree? 

Same age indeed bud 😉. I think the term "World Class" itself is subjective. To me, it refers to a player who could slot into any side in the world and improve them. I think Jack is close to this kind of status, and with time he can undoubtedly get there. As for whether he has outgrown us, personally I think we've surrounded him with lots of average and poor players. I understand that with all of the turnover in the summer we needed to focus on quantity over quality to a degree. That said, I think our recruitment was poor (Wesley for £22m, Targett for £13-17m, Hause, etc). Hopefully, we stay up and next summer we can sway Jack with the idea of surrounding him with 3-4 £30m players, as he really does deserve to play with far greater quality than he has in his career to date.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Same age indeed bud 😉. I think the term "World Class" itself is subjective. To me, it refers to a player who could slot into any side in the world and improve them. I think Jack is close to this kind of status, and with time he can undoubtedly get there. As for whether he has outgrown us, personally I think we've surrounded him with lots of average and poor players. I understand that with all of the turnover in the summer we needed to focus on quantity over quality to a degree. That said, I think our recruitment was poor (Wesley for £22m, Targett for £13-17m, Hause, etc). Hopefully, we stay up and next summer we can sway Jack with the idea of surrounding him with 3-4 £30m players, as he really does deserve to play with far greater quality than he has in his career to date.

Who are these average and poor players of which you speak? When Targett and Grealish link up down the left, it’s a joy to watch I think. Hause was only £3m, you’d be lucky to get a decent league one player for that amount.  

6 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Don’t forget he was on loan at Derby last season too 

And Jack was still out performing him. Jack was told needed to play against prem players before getting a call, Mount got a call up anyway. He then played 2 games and got a starting berth. Jack is twice the player, but doesn’t get a call up. 

46 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

And Jack was still out performing him. Jack was told needed to play against prem players before getting a call, Mount got a call up anyway. He then played 2 games and got a starting berth. Jack is twice the player, but doesn’t get a call up. 

Who was Grealish told by that he needed to play against Premier League players to get an England call up? I think Mount is excellent

24 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Who was Grealish told by that he needed to play against Premier League players to get an England call up? I think Mount is excellent

Mount is OK but there's nothing different about him, if you say England's problems vs good teams in competitions is ball retention and carrying the ball forward then mount is an upgrade over barkley and obviously lingard but not over an in form Ali and definitely not over maddison 

Jack on the other hand is on another planet when it comes to carrying the ball

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We had great centre backs at the time, it was always going to be tough for Cahill to break through, he nearly did. Christ, I think they’re overhyping him, don’t get me wrong, Grealish is a very good footballer but he’s not 1 of the most talented in the league in my opinion

For all the young players you've hyped, Grealish is the one you were most definitely right about and now you're rating him lower than pretty much everyone else on here!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

I think the term "World Class" itself is subjective. To me, it refers to a player who could slot into any side in the world and improve them. 

To me it's top 5 players in his position in the world - hes not there, although statistically by someone like who scored I think he was the best left winger in europe around October, he's also best left winger in the PL in jan 

I am slightly changing my opinion on world class... Imagine a pro bowl type friendly game post season, 2 teams with all 11 subs used at half time, so 44 players total (maybe one for another thread as to who those players would be) those players are world class

I like the idea of it being limited to a small pool of absolute elite players 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

For all the young players you've hyped, Grealish is the one you were most definitely right about and now you're rating him lower than pretty much everyone else on here!

I think media and fans of all clubs are overrating him because we have been starved of success for so long and need something to cling to. That’s my opinion, feel free to disagree. Quite a lot of fans are saying that Grealish is the best player to ever play for us, I think they’re going overboard

I've been watching Villa since the early '90s, and the only players that I can remember during that period that could get into the starting 11 of virtually any team in the Premier League and be successful like Jack could right now were Dwight Yorke (who I maintain is the best player I've ever seen in Villa colours), arguably Bosnich, and possibly Milner. Maybe Delph at a push, although he did not massively stand out in that City side. 

Other players, such as McGrath, Southgate, Ugo,  Angel, Merson, Olaf,  Laursen, Carew and Benteke were brilliant for us, but were not attractive to the big teams because either they were on their way down after a career at the top, or were in some way limited, which excluded them from the top sides. The exception is Benteke, who could have walked into any side, but for some reason did not adapt when he had the chance.

I don't think Jack is Benteke, I think he could do it anywhere, and that's why he's special. He's probably the best i've seen since Yorke. 

I also think he's shown real class in not moving this January, because I have no doubt agents were banging his door down, and if he leaves in the summer I would wish him the very best for his career as he's earned his success and done the hard yards in the Championship for us whilst being clattered by no-marks.  

Edited by HKP90
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

surrounding him with 3-4 £30m players, as he really does deserve to play with far greater quality than he has in his career to date.

I would bring in John Stones, Declan Rice, Gerrard Delafeo, a top striker to cover Barry and Wilfrid Saha unless Bale wants a return to the prem. and go back for Butland. This quality would ensure bring us champions league qualification and keep a claret and blue shirt on Jacks back.

All these so called big clubs should start sniffing around wolves. They've got some good players who go under the radar week in week out. and when's nuno going to get a big job?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Who are these average and poor players of which you speak? When Targett and Grealish link up down the left, it’s a joy to watch I think. Hause was only £3m, you’d be lucky to get a decent league one player for that amount.  

I think all of our players bar Jack, McGinn, Mings, Heaton/Reina, and possibly Samatta range fall into either the average or poor category. Hence why the bookies have us odds on to be relegated despite having our best player in years.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

I think all of our players bar Jack, McGinn, Mings, Heaton/Reina, and possibly Samatta range fall into either the average or poor category. Hence why the bookies have us odds on to be relegated despite having our best player in years.

It’s a team game, we have other great players apart from Jack Grealish

5 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Gareth Southgate says Jack Grealish must play in the Premier League to earn England call-up

Southgate

8 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

It’s a team game, we have other great players apart from Jack Grealish

Personally I’d say we have Jack as our great player, a few good and a few average. There’s a reason we are low in the table 

• Like 1

Â