Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I’ll honestly eat my hat if Jack isn’t in the next England squad. I think the only reason he missed the last squad was that he was under an injury cloud. Only a complete and utter fool would overlook him at this point and even if Southgate is an arrogant and stubborn pr*ck I don’t think he’s stupid.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Only football fans could make something out of that comment.  Managers, players, coaches really do have to watch everything they say. 

It's just people bias showing.  If you think Dean is a poor coach then you turn that comment into something negative.   

If you work at a job where your boss is not open to comments or suggestions from his subordinates then that sucks. You should find a new job. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

I’ll honestly eat my hat if Jack isn’t in the next England squad. I think the only reason he missed the last squad was that he was under an injury cloud. Only a complete and utter fool would overlook him at this point and even if Southgate is an arrogant and stubborn pr*ck I don’t think he’s stupid.

The injury was nothing to do with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

If you work at a job where your boss is not open to comments or suggestions from his subordinates then that sucks. You should find a new job. 

This, every time. This is just good life advice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

It’s worrying that it’s taking Jack to know what a poor session looks like. He has been trained by Sherwood, Garde, Lambert, Di Matteo and Bruce....how is he calling out bad sessions?

If Dean and teams are subpar as they’ve only been Championship or below, what in the **** is John Terry doing?

I imagine the sessions might not suit someone of his calibre. Dean and Co have to accommodate the fact that our other ayers aren't on his level so they might be focusing on control or passing which jack is already top class at. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

The injury was nothing to do with it.

And you say that because? 
 

He definitely wasn’t 100% fit at the time so it would have been silly to make his debut under such circumstances, but he was in awesome form at that point and deserved a spot. I think everyone could see it, even Southgate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 25 January 2020 at 13:06, Adam2003 said:

Southgate’s defining personal characteristic is arrogance. He doesn’t like to be seen to change his mind. Because he didn’t go all in on Jack early it’s hard for him to do so now. Simple as that I think.

I agree with this. Southgate has taken a stance on Grealish and been willing to defend it with statements ranging from the illogical to the ludicrous. Despite baffled looks / laughter from traditional and social media he has stuck to his increasingly isolated position. I can't imagine he relishes the prospect of everyone else being right. What strikes me most of all is his total lack of enthusiasm when talking about a phenomenal young talent who has chosen – rightly or wrongly – to declare for England instead of the Republic of Ireland.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

It’s worrying that it’s taking Jack to know what a poor session looks like. He has been trained by Sherwood, Garde, Lambert, Di Matteo and Bruce....how is he calling out bad sessions?

If Dean and teams are subpar as they’ve only been Championship or below, what in the **** is John Terry doing?

It's not taking Jack to know what a poor session looks like. That's not how it is.

It's brilliant that as Deano says he's asking questions - "why" was that session like that. But for example a relatively light, unchallenging session may be put on because of a sequence of games, or because of the readings from the monitors they wear - risk of over work and resulting injury. Or maybe where some players lack confidence after a bad run, then the session is made "easy" to re-build confidence. But some players, Jack included will not themselves need their personal confidence building.

If Deano is answering the questions with the reasons and Jack is gaining knowledge, then that's great. It's good that he's keen to want challenging sessions and to get better. I'm pretty sure that JT and Deano are both pretty well aware of what a good session looks like through both training and experience.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, blandy said:

This is nonsense, IMO. He's the complete opposite of arrogant. He is stubborn, though, I'll give you that. He's a properly good bloke.

I think the thing with him picking (or not) Jack likely stems from when JG was with the U-21s and was a bit, er, wayward, with some of his activities. So Southgate knows this and has needed to see 3 things. 1 a change of approach from Jack - that's happened. He's a model pro now. 2. Performance in the Premier League. This too has now happened. Now they both happened by much earlier this season (and before in the case of attitude. But the third thing is 3. A gap - basically there are a number of really good midfielders who have done pretty well for England. Given a manager needs to show some loyalty to have the respect of the players and to foster good team spirit he can't really just keep picking whoever is the current hot name and jettisoning someone who has had a bad game.

Me personally, like every other Villa fan, I think he more than needs to be picked for what he will bring to the national team, but I can understand why he hasn't been so far. I don't really agree with the judgement Southgate's made, but I can see why he has. Jack will get picked, because Southgate is not going to cut off his nose to spite his face, and because he's absolutely not the arrogant type. The one from Leicester - Madison, too. They'll both get in soon and both deserve to. Who will they replace? No-one's playing badly. Even Barclay has been scoring goals for England, Alli is back on form, that West Ham lad is the defensive one. Henderson's been excellent, Stirling too....it's extremely hard to get in in midfield just because of the quality of all the players. But with Kane injured there may be a chancellor a new attacking midfielder to get in the squad in place of a striker.

Based on my limited personal interactions and stories from friends who have worked with him a lot I think arrogant is a fair word. Not knocking him for that as such, I am sure I would develop an ego as well if I was England manager! But I do think it factors into his decision making - he doesn’t like to admit mistakes (which I guess is what you’re saying on him being stubborn).

Either way as far as I’m concerned he’s earned the job so it’s his call, I just don’t think he’s the type to change his mind on things.

Interesting point on Jack’s time in the U21s though, that makes perfect sense. 

In fact don’t think we are disagreeing on much at all other than what we would define as arrogant vs stubborn etc.

To be clear I don’t think he’s a bad bloke at all and I think he’s doing a good job.

Edited by Adam2003
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

In fact don’t think we are disagreeing on much at all other than what we would define as arrogant vs stubborn etc.

Yeah, that's probably true. I'm old enough to remember Southgate as a player here, and he was absolutely not arrogant. But yes single minded and determined and stubborn - as you say they sort of need to be, to be good. I think if he were arrogant, he wouldn't have watched Jack play so many times this season - he'd just have been like "No, I'm not picking him and I'm therefore not going to bother going to watch Villa". But I guess we're of the same view, as you say.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, villaglint said:

No just that big Gazza is about as likely to call me as he is Greg Evans 

That is neither literally nor figuratively true. It isn't at all unlikely that either Southgate or one of his team would have a chat at some point with a journalist at a big outlet like Gregg Evans.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That is neither literally nor figuratively true. It isn't at all unlikely that either Southgate or one of his team would have a chat at some point with a journalist at a big outlet like Gregg Evans.

Hanoi I love you but it’s going to be a long life if you expect everything you read on the internet to be either literally or figuratively true.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jack is the best English footballer. The only reason that it’s not yet acknowledged is because he has been faithful to us. If he had joined Spurs 18 months ago he already would have 10 plus caps and would be being talked about as a future PSG, Barcelona or City player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Hawk said:

And you say that because? 
 

He definitely wasn’t 100% fit at the time so it would have been silly to make his debut under such circumstances, but he was in awesome form at that point and deserved a spot. I think everyone could see it, even Southgate.

Why? Because the squad was announced before he got injured. And when asked why he wasn't called up, Southgate came out with some terrible excuse, mentioning nothing about an injury because he wasn't injured at that time.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Why? Because the squad was announced before he got injured. And when asked why he wasn't called up, Southgate came out with some terrible excuse, mentioning nothing about an injury because he wasn't injured at that time.

No it wasn't. Grealish got injured against City in October and the England team wasn't announced until two weeks later. He missed both the Liverpool and Wolves games which were the two games before the break.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

It's just people bias showing.  If you think Dean is a poor coach then you turn that comment into something negative.   

If you work at a job where your boss is not open to comments or suggestions from his subordinates then that sucks. You should find a new job. 

Precisely. Consensus is good for groups, not a one way street of instructions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Every time this thread gets hot I think that Grealish is injured.

Haha same here, my biggest fear is that he will get injured. He is playing every game, the whole games. Also considering he gets targetted and hacked down so often. He hasn't had a full season with injuries before has he? Perhaps when he was loaned out as a teenager.

Really hope we can give him a rest for some games, or take him of in the second half at times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â