The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

The question is how would each of the big clubs utilise him. Would he be a star man or just another decent option? Would he have to change his game?

Southgate has planted this idea in everyone’s heads that he lacks tactical discipline, which I don’t think is true, but certainly he benefits from being given a free role. Would Klopp or Guardiola allow that?

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Southgate just doesn't use this type of midfielder.

It's the same reason Maddison has barely featured in his squads, despite being a brilliant player (still a level above Grealish I say as I pop my tin hat on)

Southgate seems to like a DM and two shuttling midfielders and then use the wide players to do all the attacking and creating.

Play Grealish as a DM then? Who cares. His ball retention and ability transcend ‘positions’. He forgot caring about positions a long time ago. 

I have absolutely no doubt that Grealish would be Englands best player behind Sterling and Kane should he get the chance. 

He’s world class. 

• Like 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Play Grealish as a DM then? Who cares. His ball retention and ability transcend ‘positions’. He forgot caring about positions a long time ago. 

I have absolutely no doubt that Grealish would be Englands best player behind Sterling and Kane should he get the chance. 

He’s world class. 

My post wasn't meant to be any sort of defence of Southgate. Just an explanation as to why he's not getting picked.

I don't think it's anything against Grealish specifically, Southgate just inexplicably overlooks these kinds of players.

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

He’s world class. 

He’s brilliant, but he still hasn’t really done it against top opposition (Arsenal and Man U don’t count). Would be interesting to see how he got on in a very defensive Champions League knockout tie.

He’s perfect for international football though, and Southgate is insane.

Put him in an England shirt and he’d shine. Kane’s penalty tally would get even higher. 

Sterling   Kane    Sancho

Jack

Henderson Ox

More and more pundits are pushing for him to be included, pressure will eventually get to Southgate 

26 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

He’s brilliant, but he still hasn’t really done it against top opposition (Arsenal and Man U don’t count). Would be interesting to see how he got on in a very defensive Champions League knockout tie.

Even Messi would struggle against the likes of Liverpool and Man city if he was playing alongside the likes of Wesley,Nakamba and Jota tbf

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

My post wasn't meant to be any sort of defence of Southgate. Just an explanation as to why he's not getting picked.

I don't think it's anything against Grealish specifically, Southgate just inexplicably overlooks these kinds of players.

He seems to have a lot of time for Ross Barkley?

It strikes me as a mix of genuine tactical issues and some personal misgivings, perhaps going back to England U-21s.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Corleone said:

Even Messi would struggle against the likes of Liverpool and Man city if he was playing alongside the likes of Wesley,Nakamba and Jota tbf

Yeah it wasn’t a criticism of Jack, but I think he’s still missing that matchwinning performance against a top side on his CV. It’ll come at some point.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Didn't pep praise him after the city game and say that he couldn't afford him?

Arguably the best ever player to play for Aston Villa in his position.

He is an absolute please to watch. His silky skills would not go amiss in any of the worlds top sides.

I just hope we stay up and manage to keep him and put some proper quality along side him next season

57 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Arguably the best ever player to play for Aston Villa in his position.

He is an absolute please to watch. His silky skills would not go amiss in any of the worlds top sides.

I just hope we stay up and manage to keep him and put some proper quality along side him next season

Not unlike Brian Little in a lot of what he does.

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

The question is how would each of the big clubs utilise him. Would he be a star man or just another decent option? Would he have to change his game?

Southgate has planted this idea in everyone’s heads that he lacks tactical discipline, which I don’t think is true, but certainly he benefits from being given a free role. Would Klopp or Guardiola allow that?

I’d say that Grealish is very much a Guardiola/ManCity type, he’d soon be viewed as one of the worlds elite under Guardiola. Without getting too carried away, what does DeBruyne do that Jack can’t, except  showcase his talents at a top of the table club? Who would ManUtd prefer, Pogba or Grealish? Jack is proving what we Villa fans already knew, that he is a unique and outstanding talent. He’s priceless to us, impossible to put a figure on. What I would say is that if media were talking about McGinn at £50m, then starting figures for Grealish are far above that. I repeat, there is no one else in the game with the same talent and skill set as Jack. I keep hearing pundits compare Jack with Maddison but they are very different, Jacks influence during games is bigger than Maddisons imo. As is being proven this season. Ppl have spoken of Maddison at £60m. It’s not inconceivable that in 7-8months jack could be a 9figure footballer. 

4 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I’d say that Grealish is very much a Guardiola/ManCity type, he’d soon be viewed as one of the worlds elite under Guardiola. Without getting too carried away, what does DeBruyne do that Jack can’t, except  showcase his talents at a top of the table club? Who would ManUtd prefer, Pogba or Grealish? Jack is proving what we Villa fans already knew, that he is a unique and outstanding talent. He’s priceless to us, impossible to put a figure on. What I would say is that if media were talking about McGinn at £50m, then starting figures for Grealish are far above that. I repeat, there is no one else in the game with the same talent and skill set as Jack. I keep hearing pundits compare Jack with Maddison but they are very different, Jacks influence during games is bigger than Maddisons imo. As is being proven this season. Ppl have spoken of Maddison at £60m. It’s not inconceivable that in 7-8months jack could be a 9figure footballer. 

Jack is already 9 figures and so is maddison. I mean name an attacking midfielder in England who you would want more than those 2. Outside of England it is a straight toss up between isco, coutinho and Rodriguez. Currently Neymar is the only attacking 'midfielder' in Europe that you would definitely take over those 2. The rest are all older play for better teams and don't have good enough stats to come close to Grealish or Maddison. 

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

He seems to have a lot of time for Ross Barkley?

It strikes me as a mix of genuine tactical issues and some personal misgivings, perhaps going back to England U-21s.

his record for the U21s was 7 games 2 goals and 4 assists, won the Toulon tournament 

I think it is the tactical thing, southgates England are kick and rush get the ball in early to kane and sterling

No doubt would lose some of his effectiveness in a team full of 'stars' as he likes to carry the ball, something I cant see being to popular with certain players who demand they have the ball all the time.

Hes A bit like le tis but with energy

Edited by brummybloke
  • Like 2

Â