The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

4 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Also, he shouldn't be the penalty taker.

I don't get this criticism

Today was only the 2nd penalty I can remember him taking, the other being the one he scored vs baggies, it wasn't even a bad penalty today, probably too confident and hit it too hard, keeper is done 

Saw a suggestion in the match thread that his shooting is poor so he can't take penalties, utter bollocks 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Right now, Jack playing on the left side of attack is by far our biggest problem. It's not a natural position for him and he clearly would rather play behind the striker in midfield. Therefore, he spends most of the game drifting into the middle of the pitch and leaving us totally exposed down the left-hand side. Last week, Ricardo, the Leicester right back, won man of the match because he was doubling up on Targett all game. 

Dean Smith has to realise that Jack at left-side attack unbalances the team and stop doing that. McGinn's poor run of form has coincided with this and both of them looked right out of sorts today. In fact, they look frustrated and fed up. 

I'd put Jack back at #8 instead of McGinn and have Trez come in for him.

• Like 3

Grealish has produced his best football on the left wing roaming into the middle. At the start of the season people were complaining he was too deep in the middle and not effecting games enough so I don't understand why we'd want to move him back.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Right now, Jack playing on the left side of attack is by far our biggest problem. It's not a natural position for him and he clearly would rather play behind the striker in midfield. Therefore, he spends most of the game drifting into the middle of the pitch and leaving us totally exposed down the left-hand side. Last week, Ricardo, the Leicester right back, won man of the match because he was doubling up on Targett all game. 

Dean Smith has to realise that Jack at left-side attack unbalances the team and stop doing that. McGinn's poor run of form has coincided with this and both of them looked right out of sorts today. In fact, they look frustrated and fed up. 

Well, if this is the issue, it doesn't say much for Luiz.  Apart from his 2 flashy goals, he hasn't done much to impress.  If Jack does go back to CM, then it leaves out Conner when he's becomes fit, and either Trez or Jota come back in.  If it improves their mentality, i'm for giving it a go. 

8 hours ago, Farlz said:

Grealish on the left is the least of our problems. 

For me, its the reason us being so open.

He goes looking for the ball and every game he drifts inside (understandable) and leaves us exposed down our left. We lose our shape because of it. 

I think we need to return him to the front of the midfield three. 

• Like 1

Smith needs to recognise when Grealish on the left is not working and adapt to it. Yesterday he didn’t receive the ball enough on the left side to influence the game and so he should have been moved inside to a number 8 role with a winger coming on. Once we went behind he should have been moved into a number 10 position to bridge the gap between the midfield and Wesley. Neither happened.

Totally agree he has been good on the left in games this season, but yesterday it didn’t work. We can’t have our best player isolated and not receiving the ball in games as the whole team then suffers from it.

Edited by wilko154
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I don't get this criticism

Today was only the 2nd penalty I can remember him taking, the other being the one he scored vs baggies, it wasn't even a bad penalty today, probably too confident and hit it too hard, keeper is done 

Saw a suggestion in the match thread that his shooting is poor so he can't take penalties, utter bollocks 

If you don't hit the target IMO it is a bad penalty.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Farlz said:

Grealish has produced his best football on the left wing roaming into the middle. At the start of the season people were complaining he was too deep in the middle and not effecting games enough so I don't understand why we'd want to move him back.

For me, Grealish works best as a “fake wide left” player, and in particular, when Hourihane is in the side. Because Conor can switch with Grealish allowing him to roam free and can’t get doubled up on and can have more of an affect. 

7 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Smith needs to recognise when Grealish on the left is not working and adapt to it. Yesterday he didn’t receive the ball enough on the left side to influence the game and so he should have been moved inside to a number 8 role with a winger coming on. Once we went behind he should have been moved into a number 10 position to bridge the gap between the midfield and Wesley. Neither happened.

Totally agree he has been good on the left in games this season, but yesterday it didn’t work. We can’t have our best player isolated and not receiving the ball in games as the whole team then suffers from it.

I agree, I didnt see the point of replacing El Ghazi with Trez with 15 mins to go when losing 2 nil

Should have taken McGinn off, put Jack in the middle and played both wingers.  It was all or nothing by then and McGinn was doind nothing. 

He really didn't look that good in central midfield and improved dramatically on the left. Now his improvements could also coincide with him getting more up to speed with the league and more confident, he could bring this back to the centre, but for me the higher up the pitch he is the better and in central midfield he'll be wasting a lot of time breaking up play and dropping deep to get the ball. 

He should either play on the left as an inside forward OR we make a new role for him where he basically plays centrally as a number 10 or off the forward, that would require a pretty big tactical change by Smith.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He should either play on the left as an inside forward OR we make a new role for him where he basically plays centrally as a number 10 or off the forward, that would require a pretty big tactical change by Smith.

To be honest mate I don't think that is a massive tactical change. It's not a million miles off how we are using McGinn. And as most think McGinn is better suited to a deeper role it could work. 

1 hour ago, villaluke said:

we moved him on the left so he could get more of the ball why dont we play him as attacking midfielder in a 4-2-3-1?! then he would get more of the ball than in center mid. 

I don't know why this hasn't been tried. Just play him off the striker and let him roam. Play 2 out and out wingers and 2 holding midfielders. McGinn has now played himself out of being an automatic starter, so we should try it.

21 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I don't know why this hasn't been tried. Just play him off the striker and let him roam. Play 2 out and out wingers and 2 holding midfielders. McGinn has now played himself out of being an automatic starter, so we should try it.

Doubt this will work any better, as we won't be able to supply him with the ball. He'll then just keep dropping deep and pick it up himself, leaving the striker isolated once again. 

Just watched the highlights from Saturday. There were lots of players illegally encroaching when he missed the penalty. VAR is supposed to be used to ensure this does not happen. The penalty should have been retaken.

I can only assume that having already used VAR to award the penalty to Villa the software has a bug that automatically will not allow another VAR decision in our favour during the month of December!

It's worth considering that teams will give him more attention than before. He's been dominating in the free role on the left, so when teams try and shut him down to a larger degree it doesn't nessecarily mean he's playing poor there. 

Â