The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

2 hours ago, punkiller1981 said:

Lazy journalism as usual in the mirror “Man Utd might consider a bid for Grealish” as if that wasn’t going to get written after that goal. Are all football journalist generically obvious. 

that being said why isn’t he being offered a massive new contract right now. 

I agree, now is the time to get him to sign a new deal, preferably a 5 or 6 year one (to 2025). I believe he signed a 5 year contract just over a year ago which runs to 2023 so plenty of time left on it, but I'd like to see a new and improved contract so we can get him tied down for even longer. Sure, if a big bid comes in for him and he wants to go, we may have to sell, but at least we'll be getting the best amount of money for him. 

At this time, I think the only teams in England he might go to would be Liverpool, City, Chelsea and possibly Spurs. United and Arsenal are lacking too much quality for him to consider going there imo, but that could change in a year or 2 if they sign well. From those four clubs, I don't believe City would want to pay that much for him as they have the two Silvas and KDB, plus Foden coming through. Chelsea have an abundance of players in his position - Mount, Pulisic, Barkley, RLC, etc so I don't think they'd do it. Liverpool maybe, they might play him in the number 8 position but they also have players like Wijnaldum, Chamberlain, Shaqiri, Keita in that position so again quite well stocked. Spurs would probably still be interested but Levy is notoriously tight and definitely wouldn't pay £80-£100mil for him which is what we absolutely should be demanding.

I think the only club who would come in with a big bid would be Man U, they really need a player like him, but apart from name and stature they really aren't all that right now. That is the worst United squad I have seen in 25 years of following football. I also think, despite what idiots like Robbie Savage and Tim Sherwood say, that Jack Grealish is at a club going places. We are in a false position in the table I think and are getting better as the season is progressing. We have strong backing from the owner, a very talented young manager who has just signed a new deal, and a young and talented squad which will continue to improve. Jack may feel concerned that he's not getting selected for England, but I'm convinced he still has a great chance of going to the Euros if he keeps doing what he's doing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Because he signed one a few months ago 

I'm almost certain his contract will have had a bumper increase included pending promotion already!

Let's stay in the Premier League first then think about contracts.

3 hours ago, punkiller1981 said:

It’s about perception as much as anything, he is our best player by a country mile and he is our only player including mcginn that is irreplaceable. A huge contract shows ambition to keep our best player, makes him even more expensive for other clubs and actually rewards him for his performance in the premier league. 

Im sure his contract was a fantastic championship contract and I imagine he was easily the highest paid player but this is the premier league and he deserves the best deal we can offer. As for the other players then it’s simple, match his skill and influence and similar money will follow until then you get what your worth. 

I believe Barca renegotiate with Messi almost every year so why wouldn’t we do what we can to make our best player happy. (And no I’m not saying he is as good as Messi)

He had a clause in his contract that boosted his wages like I'm sure kodjia and Chester had as well. I'm pretty sure he is on 100k a week currently and if we gave him much more we would have to give all our other starters 10-20k

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

James Maddison: 13 games 4 goals 2 assists

Jack Grealish: 12 games 3 goals, 4 assists.

There isn't much between them, but Jack's played a game less and got more goal points.

For anyone still saying Jack needs to add more goals and assists to his game, the joke is on you.

Both fantastic players worthy of England squad. I believe that Jack also offers an improved workrate to Maddison in terms of tracking back and defending.

• Like 1

Apart from the wages......The best way to keep jack, is to buy better players to play with him.

I still think he is having to do too much.

I accept he has an appetite for the ball, but the others should be capitalising more on his talent.

It is inevitable that his profile will be raised playing like this and a queue to sign him, however it makes Southgate look like a novice manager.

He would do well to call Jack up, before it becomes absurd.

I think Gareth has done himself no favours dithering with Jack.

For me Jack is one of the best players in the country in any position....

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, birdman said:

Both fantastic players worthy of England squad. I believe that Jack also offers an improved workrate to Maddison in terms of tracking back and defending.

Grealish and Maddison are going to be the new Lampard and Gerrard of the England Team. Brilliant for their own clubs but not able to replicate together at National level.

I am not going to directly compare Jack with Gazza, but i can see similarities, in their play

i also see, bits of Tony Currie and Trevor Brooking.

great talent, we are all priviledged to have.

I don't quite understand Southgates view on Jack.

I think he is missing a trick, comparing him with Mount and Madison.....They have great moments and are more direct for their clubs......Jack controls the tempo more, he carries the ball better IMV.

There is few players around with a weighted pass like him, its like velvet.

If Jack does not go to the Euros, it will be a blessing for our opponents.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, screwdriver said:

Mount has better players around him for a start. Willian is class.

For Villa to keep Grealish long term we need to start signing better players to support him. Proven class.

Yep. We need to sign players like Willian. Players on Jacks level, or a touch below in Willian's case.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I don't quite understand Southgates view on Jack.

I think he is missing a trick, comparing him with Mount and Madison.....They have great moments and are more direct for their clubs......Jack controls the tempo more, he carries the ball better IMV.

There is few players around with a weighted pass like him, its like velvet.

If Jack does not go to the Euros, it will be a blessing for our opponents.

that's the point Carragher made last week after the Newcastle game

how many English players can control a game like jack does? how many players playing left wing in the PL can do it like jack does? no one

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Mount has better players around him for a start. Willian is class.

For Villa to keep Grealish long term we need to start signing better players to support him. Proven class.

I agree and if we finish mid table this season - which will be fantastic - in order to keep Jack I think we are going to have to show some extraordinary intent in the transfer window. Having a player like Jack is both a wonderous and painful thing! The chances of him going to a top club next season are very high. He'll probably end up being the most wanted player in Europe at this rate!

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

but yeah let's pay him 200k a week and if we go down, and whoever buys him only wants to pay him 60k pw we then have to keep paying him 140k pw whilst in the championship until the end of his contract. christ it's a good job some people on here don't own football clubs!!

I don't understand this. Are you thinking that clubs will try to loan Jack and only pay 40% of his wages? In the event we do go down, there will be a lot of suitors for Jack and we will have the leverage if it comes down to it. Clubs will pay top money for a top English midfielder, we don't have to be forced to accept a stupid loan deal like that.

I agree with people's views that the calibre of player we sign needs to improve if we want to keep him here. I still want us to sign youngish players, but we should be looking at the next big stars who can really take us to that next level - I don't see why, for instance, we shouldn't be targeting players like Tonali, Osimhen, Olmo, Hagi, Malen - players very young but already playing in their national teams and clearly with very high ceilings who may not be targeted by the likes of Man City or Liverpool who will arguably go for more established players. 

There are some good talents in the Championship - Bowen, Benrahma, Phillips - and we shouldn't rule them out necessarily, but I think we need to show a bit more bold ambition next summer if we want to keep someone like Grealish here long term. 

Everything I've heard Southgate say about Grealish suggests to me he doesn't really understand Grealish's game at all.

I think in Southgate's mind, Grealish is this luxury, tactically undisciplined player who would damage the precious shape of his team. That's so unfair on a player who actually works incredibly hard defensively and can play three different positions.

My biggest fear is that Southgate will read too much into the qualification performances - against some really poor teams - and not think enough about what sort of player is needed to win a Euro semi-final or final. If we're going into those Euros without options like Grealish in the squad, then Southgate is a headcase, and deserves everything coming his way.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I don't understand this. Are you thinking that clubs will try to loan Jack and only pay 40% of his wages? In the event we do go down, there will be a lot of suitors for Jack and we will have the leverage if it comes down to it. Clubs will pay top money for a top English midfielder, we don't have to be forced to accept a stupid loan deal like that.

no...so when a club sells a high earning player, it's quite common that the buying club do not want to pay the wages said player is currently on. therefore, an agreement is put in place for the selling club to pay the rest until the end of the contract (or you just pay the player off). It happened with us when we bought shay given i believe. also with stephen ireland (but think he was just given a chunk of cash by city). in fact a few city players that have not made it there have then been sold on with city paying part of their wages until end of contract i.e rodwell too

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

no...so when a club sells a high earning player, it's quite common that the buying club do not want to pay the wages said player is currently on. therefore, an agreement is put in place for the selling club to pay the rest until the end of the contract (or you just pay the player off). It happened with us when we bought shay given i believe. also with stephen ireland (but think he was just given a chunk of cash by city). in fact a few city players that have not made it there have then been sold on with city paying part of their wages until end of contract i.e rodwell too

Yeah, but how many of these has happened with players the quality and reputation of Grealish? I would think this only happens if the player doesn't have many suitors who are unwilling to bite the bullet for him to have him on their squad. Grealish will be very likely be a very in demand player for a lot of clubs if it comes down to that the idea of us being forced to accept such a deal seems ludicrous to me. In demand enough to the point I believe there must be some club out there who is willing to take on his entire wage bill to secure his services.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

Â