The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

51 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Most definitely the truth, but it's also a case where Jack shines is 10-20 yards into the oppositions half. He draws fouls and keeps us ticking, but it's difficult getting there when we are facing much tougher opponents, cause we can't steam roll possession like we did in the championship, so a boxtobox player will automatically sit more defensively than offensively, which doesn't suit Jack.

Ironically I've always thought he'd excell as a more defensive playmaker, but he definitely got it down in a more attacking role. Fortunately his shot is piss poor, or we'd have more suitors than we'd like. 

Like... Pep Guardiola?

42 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

wasn't he statistically one of the highest rated tacklers or blockers per game or something daft for a creative midfielder?

Yes. Obviously that will have dipped since he moved further forward, but he's still the same player.

I see his future at 8 myself. 

Twisting yourself into a right mess here guv.

He didn't have a poor start and remains our best player when he plays centre mid.

Opposition fans said he was bad did they? The ones who still wet their pants every time his name is mentioned that he dives and isn't as good as Maddison or various Leeds players. Wouldn't use them as a reference point.

Not even close. When they both were more CM'esque McGinn outperformed him by miles. 

Opposition fans generally don't like him for his looks, which is ridiculous, but after he changed role for us this season they are far more fans of him than when he was in a more central role. You can trust me on that. I read about 10-15 different forums of other teams. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not even close. When they both were more CM'esque McGinn outperformed him by miles. 

In a handful of games yes. 

There are more fans of his because he's currently bang on form and playing in the Premier League. I don't think his position matters, he's going to be a star. I just happen to think his ball carrying attributes are better suited to an 8. 

Not a box to box, though he works hard, not a defensive midfielder, but as an attacking 8. 

It's working fine with him playing from the left. Look at our results, he played there v Norwich and Brighton aswell.

I guess he dosen't like it as it means he has to track back and help the full back on occasions but it's not like he has to do that every single time. he also popped up many times centrally on the counter attack so plenty more flexibility he gets than say if he was playing under Mourinho.

To me we are far more balanced with him and three CMs behind him. Earlier in the season having him and McGinn charging forward and two touchline widemen left us too exposed on the counter attack.

Maybe long term 4-3-1-2 might be a formation we try out particularly as we do have attacking FBs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

In a handful of games yes. 

There are more fans of his because he's currently bang on form and playing in the Premier League. I don't think his position matters, he's going to be a star. I just happen to think his ball carrying attributes are better suited to an 8. 

Not a box to box, though he works hard, not a defensive midfielder, but as an attacking 8. 

Basically the role De Bruyne plays for City. If we can get ourselves a good wide forward or 2 we can move Jack back she reap the benefits.

2 hours ago, rhyscartwright_avfc said:

Worth noting that this doesn't include the traditional top 6 but Grealish is absolutely miles ahead of everyone else for open play chances created. Matty Targett & El Ghazi not doing too bad either

He's above everyone in the top 6 too. If you exclude set pieces, Jack is top of the league in chances created per game.

2 hours ago, rhyscartwright_avfc said:

Worth noting that this doesn't include the traditional top 6 but Grealish is absolutely miles ahead of everyone else for open play chances created. Matty Targett & El Ghazi not doing too bad either

Great for Grealish, but also nice to see Matt Targett on that list also, he's been great for us imo.

Interesting to see Ghazi on that list also.

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think he is too good for this to happen. Eventually he will move on but the main thing is we get big money for him and reinvest.

I feel that for us to match Grealish's trajectory would require an investment like Man City got when Sheikh Mansour bought them.  FFP was created to make sure that never happens again.   

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think he is too good for this to happen. Eventually he will move on but the main thing is we get big money for him and reinvest.

Money doesn’t seem to be an object to these owners, Grealish stayed for 3 years while we were in The Championship. I see no reason why he won’t stay with us for his whole career, it’s his boyhood club, all of his family are Villa fans, it’s in his blood

10 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Money doesn’t seem to be an object to these owners, Grealish stayed for 3 years while we were in The Championship. I see no reason why he won’t stay with us for his whole career, it’s his boyhood club, all of his family are Villa fans, it’s in his blood

He said after we won the playoffs that he had been expecting to leave at the end of hte season at first. He's definitely open to leaving to further his career if required. Is purely being in the PL but getting bottom half finishes is enough to quell his ambition? Who knows, but if we were to go down again, I definitely don't see him sticking around. But if we were to show signs of gradually but significantly climbing up the table, I say he stays.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

He said after we won the playoffs that he was expecting to leave at the end of the season at the start of it. He's definitely open to leaving to further his career if required. Whether purely being in the PL but getting bottom half finishes is enough to quell his ambition? Who knows, but if we were to go down again, I definitely don't see him sticking around.

The sky is the limit for us with these new owners and then after today’s news (the manager signing his new contract). Grealish himself signed a new 5 year contract not too long ago, I see no reason why he would want to leave to go to anyone

9 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

The sky is the limit for us with these new owners and then after today’s news (the manager signing his new contract). Grealish himself signed a new 5 year contract not too long ago, I see no reason why he would want to leave to go to anyone

And what if we don't for some reason get better and get stuck in a relegation battle year after year or hell, even get relegated? Its a distinct possibility, just as us reaching the top 10 or even top 6 is a possibility too in the future. We aren't entitled to anything in this league. I'm saying if its the former, I don't think Jack sticks around. 

A player signing a new contract doesn't mean they wouldn't want to leave in the future, it just means they didn't want to leave at the time they signed the contract. Like I said, Jack himself said that he had expected to leave at the end of the season despite signing a 5 year contract a year earlier, I don't think there's anything which indicated what his intentions were more than that, unless you think he was lying for some reason.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Â