The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

27 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

For me, not only should he be in the England squad, he's currently the best midfielder England have.

I'm guessing he'll go on to be a mainstay of the England squad, and prove you right, sooner rather than later.

However, right now I'd say he has not yet surpassed Jadon Sancho or Raheem Sterling for England's best midfielder, unless you're talking central players.

Then you have to consider the fact that Sterling was influential in winning a PL title. Milner, Henderson and Alli all made it to the CL final playing for their clubs.

Oxlade Chamberlain, Lallana, Dier, Delph, Barkley, Mount, Loftus-Cheek, Maddison, Winks are all part of setups challenging European placing and playing CL football.

Grealish has been knocking on the door for a call up to England since we were last in the Premier League, don't get me wrong his inclusion is long overdue.

All I'm saying is England squads might as well be picked by the guys who write for the BBC, 'cause you ain't getting a look in if you're not top 4.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I think Jack is a victim of stats only presenting a partial picture of what happens in the build up to a goal.

Here are the most fouled players in the Premier League this season:

1. Grealish 46
  2. Zaha 39
  3. McGinn 33
  4. Maddison / McTominay 32

The amount of fouls he wins is not a coincidence:

• Teams actively try to foul him because he is seen as our most dangerous player. This ramps up their yellow card count and makes it riskier for those players to go in for tackles later in the game.
  • He releases the ball very late. He's like a bullfighter taunting a bull. Just as the defender things they've got their foot to the ball, it's disappeared and he's either away or picking up the foul.
  • Since the Palace VAR incident, I think public perception has shifted. Refs seem more receptive to the idea that he is actually getting booted all over the park. All the plaudits he's getting from the TV pundits are starting to feed through to the referees. His reputation as a diver and a cheat has gone IMO, except among a few salty Leeds / Bluenose clearings in the woods on social media.

A lot of those fouls are in very dangerous areas around the box (which is less true of McGinn and McTominay, for example). Grealish doesn't get the assist stat if the free kick is whipped into the box by Hourihane or Targett or whoever, but he's the one who's created the chance.

There's also just the fact that Grealish has that quality of buying time. You give Grealish the ball, and the whole team has just suddenly bought itself 5 seconds to catch their breath or get back into shape or make an attacking run. While that's happening, he's dragging the opposition completely out of shape. That quality can't be measured with stats really - you just have to watch the game.

Southgate is an absolute mug if he thinks Mason Mount or Calum Hudson Odoi offer anything like this to the England setup.

I think this is a great post. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

This post adds fuel to the argument that Hourihane should start each game.

If Grealish and McGinn have won 79 free kicks, then Hourihane becomes indispensable. Opposition managers have to give a different team talk if Jack and Conor both start.

To put it another way, Jack and John would be fouled less if the spectre of Conor's left boot was present on the pitch.

I think that's a fair comment, although this possibly is why DS always plays Conor against weaker sides (when we do win a lot of free kicks high up), but less so against the better sides. Would be interesting to see a breakdown of fouls by opponent.

On 26/11/2019 at 07:43, villa4europe said:

im the same, sounds daft but trying to explain how jack plays is like messi but you mention the 2 in the same sentence and the overrated comment will come straight up

what I mean by that is try and explain how jack beat a man, did he do a drag back, a step over, a feint...nah he just kind of did...he just glides past them with no "skill"

I think part of what Carragher allures to is the ability to draw in multiple players as well, like he said they're scared of him, they close down him, they double and triple up on him, you cant do that vs city or Liverpool, you cant put 3 men on firmino or sterling because the quality in the midfield means they'll just bypass you, that's why I want to see him play for England and I dread to think of it but one day if he leaves then a really big (non English) CL team, surrounded by better players with more time and space on the ball and more movement around him, I think if he steps up a level he will be better

Jack would absolutely thrive playing for Barcelona with the off-the-wall movement of players around him and the slower tempo out there. 

On 26/11/2019 at 23:02, KentVillan said:

I think Jack is a victim of stats only presenting a partial picture of what happens in the build up to a goal.

Here are the most fouled players in the Premier League this season:

1. Grealish 46
  2. Zaha 39
  3. McGinn 33
  4. Maddison / McTominay 32

The amount of fouls he wins is not a coincidence:

• Teams actively try to foul him because he is seen as our most dangerous player. This ramps up their yellow card count and makes it riskier for those players to go in for tackles later in the game.
  • He releases the ball very late. He's like a bullfighter taunting a bull. Just as the defender things they've got their foot to the ball, it's disappeared and he's either away or picking up the foul.
  • Since the Palace VAR incident, I think public perception has shifted. Refs seem more receptive to the idea that he is actually getting booted all over the park. All the plaudits he's getting from the TV pundits are starting to feed through to the referees. His reputation as a diver and a cheat has gone IMO, except among a few salty Leeds / Bluenose clearings in the woods on social media.

A lot of those fouls are in very dangerous areas around the box (which is less true of McGinn and McTominay, for example). Grealish doesn't get the assist stat if the free kick is whipped into the box by Hourihane or Targett or whoever, but he's the one who's created the chance.

There's also just the fact that Grealish has that quality of buying time. You give Grealish the ball, and the whole team has just suddenly bought itself 5 seconds to catch their breath or get back into shape or make an attacking run. While that's happening, he's dragging the opposition completely out of shape. That quality can't be measured with stats really - you just have to watch the game.

Southgate is an absolute mug if he thinks Mason Mount or Calum Hudson Odoi offer anything like this to the England setup.

Brilliant, great read. Our Jacky boy surely has his own wanted poster out there, champ, prem I think it would all transfer into the world stage and Europeon football.

I especially enjoyed the last but one paragraph, it would explain why our players seem to be able to hold on that bit longer and see out a game better. It also says that we really need to find one or two more players exactly like Jack who offer that bit of time for the rest to have a breather, Jack can't always be running on ful energy and he even needs a games rest here and there. I would say the most important priority alongside nailing a winger and striker would be to find someone who like Grealish loves his time on the ball so much, who gives that little rest to others in his side, who can also create problems out of nothing.

I also agree and got shot down for calling SG out, he used to offer chances to the likes of Jack, now he's just like many before him. SG has his favs and doesn't look in the direction of someone who deserves it now, despite overwhelming professional, media, fan base support for that player.

Just for you Jack I created your very own wanted poster now.

0_1574927940160.jpg

Edited by Dave-R
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think he's now moved into the bracket of players for whom a fee with nine figures could be demanded - that's the sort of money I think we could ask for him.

I think he's become one of these only leaving when his contract expires type players such as Kane at spurs, he's a fan and the captain so you'd like to think he wont moan and force a move whilst at the same time will have an astronomical fee attached to him

I see football transfers going the way of the NFL free agency, no one is buying mbappe for example, the only way he leaves is without a contract (or he magically becomes shit) or PSG's owners pull the plug, or UEFA finally grow some bollocks and enforce their FFP rules ( :lol: )

33 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

What do you think he's worth?

with the current squad you'd say our place in the premier league...plus then player wise the majority of the clubs marketability, with how many years left on his contract?

is he "worth" £100m to another club because of what he does on the football pitch? of course not, is he worth £100m to aston villa? easily

football economics and player value goes way beyond the players ability to kick a football, hence Pogba's transfer value and worth, you're paying for his insta followers

He's on the level with Marco Reus now.  

We need to get better players to play with him. 

Striker a priority.  Anyone like Aubameyang, with intelligent movement, quick, tall with a decent finish will thrive. 

Wingers - we could do with a Mahrez style player, who can play anywhere along the creative lines... Benhrama maybe? 

I like them both, but are they European quality (yet)?  Matt Targett and Freddy Gilbert would be wonderful backup to better players (I dunno who, but people who are very competent at attacking.  

We need ball retention, and I don't think we're that far away. 

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think he's now moved into the bracket of players for whom a fee with nine figures could be demanded - that's the sort of money I think we could ask for him.

If Maguire can go for 80 then I can easily see a world where Jack goes for triple digits.  Sadly, with the way FFP works we may have to sell Jack or John if we ever want to push on with another large investment in the club.  Everyone, except for the truly big clubs of Europe, have to sell to balance the books. 

It sucks to think about it but their is a right way to do it. You can't sell all your stars like Southampton.  Leicester on the other hand have clearly worked out a blueprint we can follow. Be willing to pay the wages that allows you to lock up your talent for multiple years. Sell only when it suits you and make sure you reinvest wisely. Their only poor purchase so far have been Iheanacho and Slimani. 

Honestly I want Jack to play for Villa his entire career but you can see a path if he starts adding goals to his game that he can play for a team like Barca or Real. I have faith that our management team has a plan mapped out for either path. Based on our smart spending so far I think if we survive this season it's onwards and upwards for Villa 🤞

Edited by Rightdm00
Jack for England.

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think he's become one of these only leaving when his contract expires type players such as Kane at spurs, he's a fan and the captain so you'd like to think he wont moan and force a move whilst at the same time will have an astronomical fee attached to him

I see football transfers going the way of the NFL free agency, no one is buying mbappe for example, the only way he leaves is without a contract (or he magically becomes shit) or PSG's owners pull the plug, or UEFA finally grow some bollocks and enforce their FFP rules ( :lol: )

Hmmmm I don't think I can imagine football having a draft like system like American handball does.

Yeah i call it hand ball because I have never understood it being called football where 90% maybe little more is played with the ball in your arms and the other percentage is only when it's a goal kick, its a name that just doesnt fit it's sport.

Back to having a draft system in football, what do you guys think would happen if it ever got to that point. I think talent would more evenly be spread out amongst the clubs that is for sure.

Edited by Dave-R

Just now, Dave-R said:

Hmmmm I don't think I can imagine football having a draft like system like American handball does.

not the draft system, maybe something similar to the trade system where player exchanges happen, but say one of the other teams want Aaron Donald from the Rams, Donald himself wants to leave, the only way he is leaving is by waiting until he is out of contract and then leaving for free

the other team cant "buy" him with money

26 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

If Maguire can go for 80 then I can easily see a world where Jack goes for triple digits.  Sadly, with the way FFP works we may have to sell Jack or John if we ever want to push on with another large investment in the club.  Everyone, except for the truly big clubs of Europe, have to sell to balance the books. 

It sucks to think about it but their is a right way to do it. You can't sell all your stars like Southampton.  Leicester on the other hand have clearly worked out a blueprint we can follow. Be willing to pay the wages that allows you to lock up your talent for multiple years. Sell only when it suits you and make sure you reinvest wisely. Their only poor purchase so far have been Iheanacho and Slimani. 

Honestly I want Jack to play for Villa his entire career but you can see a path if he starts adding goals to his game that he can play for a team like Barca or Real. I have faith that our management team has a plan mapped out for either path. Based on our smart spending so far I think if we survive this season it's onwards and upwards for Villa 🤞

£100m plus Josh Onomah and its a deal

• Haha 2

Â