The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

34 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

Wow .. I got a little firm just thinking about that.

That would be one happy striker !!!

😂

Only a semi for me, but that's further than Villa have gone for a while, so no complaints.

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you think he’s a fool? He was an excellent player and he got England to the World Cup semi final, so in my book, that makes him an excellent manager too

Absolutely not

The world cup was largely kick and rush stuff, pace that we are used to but overwhelms smaller teams, supported by some well drilled set pieces and taking advantage of VAR and a pretty poor Harry kane still getting goals winning games vs poor to average teams, good teams beat us

the disappointing thing for me being since the world cup the clever set piece routines have gone, the 3 at the back has gone, the players available have arguably got better, especially the midfield options but he's not tried anything to fix it, he favours barkley who to be fair to him is in good form for England but he's not good enough, he's stubbornly trying to get his Henderson and rice partnership to work and it constantly looks uneccesary, we don't look good on the ball still, we don't have a ball carrying midfielder

He's nothing special as a manager, just lucky to be there 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you think he’s a fool? He was an excellent player and he got England to the World Cup semi final, so in my book, that makes him an excellent manager too

Err. Maybe check out his club management career and not look at his England management career of kicking no mark teams with a quality squad before losing to anyone with a decent team (though admittedly this is the raison d'etre for all England managers) 

He had a lucky run in the World Cup and had an interesting shirt waistcoat combo.  He was a truly excellent player though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Absolutely not

The world cup was largely kick and rush stuff, pace that we are used to but overwhelms smaller teams, supported by some well drilled set pieces and taking advantage of VAR and a pretty poor Harry kane still getting goals winning games vs poor to average teams, good teams beat us

the disappointing thing for me being since the world cup the clever set piece routines have gone, the 3 at the back has gone, the players available have arguably got better, especially the midfield options but he's not tried anything to fix it, he favours barkley who to be fair to him is in good form for England but he's not good enough, he's stubbornly trying to get his Henderson and rice partnership to work and it constantly looks uneccesary, we don't look good on the ball still, we don't have a ball carrying midfielder

He's nothing special as a manager, just lucky to be there 

What makes a good manager then in your opinion? 

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Err. Maybe check out his club management career and not look at his England management career of kicking no mark teams with a quality squad before losing to anyone with a decent team (though admittedly this is the raison d'etre for all England managers) 

He had a lucky run in the World Cup and had an interesting shirt waistcoat combo.  He was a truly excellent player though. 

Admittedly, he wasn’t good at Middlesbrough but for England and England u21s, I think he has done well 

9 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Admittedly, he wasn’t good at Middlesbrough but for England and England u21s, I think he has done well 

Why was he good with England u21? They were joint top seeds going into the 2015 euros, they had a lot of the players playing for the senior team now, including Harry Kane. Under his guidance they finished bottom of the group. 

The senior team he deservedly gets praised for,  a World Cup semi final is not to be sniffed at. But what has he done since then? We lost a qualifying game for the first time in ages and looked pretty woeful in others, nearly losing the one before. He gone from a back three pressing team, to a 433, now there’s no problem in switching tactics, but it’s almost like he doesn’t know how he wants us to play. 

He’s now picking players that don’t even get into their club sides, but those that are on form including our jack, don’t get a look in.

Southgate is the sort of nob that thinks he knows more than anyone now he is in the England job. The reality of the situation though is that he got the position by default. He gave good head at a time when the FA wanted an Englishman in charge and only the dinosaurs were willing to take the job. He was the typical passive nice guy coach the FA always hire given the opportunity. Not anywhere near the likes of Howe, Smith and Wilder. He is and is proving to be without doubt just another wankstain excuse for a manager. Championship level at best.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Happy to not have him play the extra games from our point of view. Southgate looks a bit stupid on this one though, not only not picking him, but then saying it's because he has forwards that are better than him. He's better in the middle than Mount, Winks, Delph, Oxlade-Chamberlain or Barkley. Gareth not only doesn't like him; he doesn't know what he is.

An England Manager having little idea which players are best where ? I’m shocked, shocked I tell you !

Jack will be in good company with Le Tiss, Alan Hudson, Tony Currie, etc....

• Like 1

Straight decision. I've saw a few mention a potential issue from their time with the under 21's, if that is the case it's even more ridiculous. 

Many on here including myself worried about Jack realising his potential when he was making the front pages rather than back, but he is clearly a completely different character now. Something you'd think a England manager would have time research. 

3 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Southgate is the sort of nob that thinks he knows more than anyone now he is in the England job. The reality of the situation though is that he got the position by default. He gave good head at a time when the FA wanted an Englishman in charge and only the dinosaurs were willing to take the job. He was the typical passive nice guy coach the FA always hire given the opportunity. Not anywhere near the likes of Howe, Smith and Wilder. He is and is proving to be without doubt just another wankstain excuse for a manager. Championship level at best.  

The problem is he could keep the job for long time. I don't expect him to fail but I also don't expect him to succeed. By the time it's realized that he is taking us nowhere ten years will have elapsed & we will be no further ahead. It worries me that players like Grealish & Maddison who don't fit the Chelsea/Spurs/Man U & C mandate will struggle to get game time. 

2 hours ago, gurru991 said:

The problem is he could keep the job for long time. I don't expect him to fail but I also don't expect him to succeed. By the time it's realized that he is taking us nowhere ten years will have elapsed & we will be no further ahead. It worries me that players like Grealish & Maddison who don't fit the Chelsea/Spurs/Man U & C mandate will struggle to get game time. 

I think they’ll soon get called, Southgate is coming to a lot of our games so far. Ings is already playing, Heaton is in England. So only Grealish and Targett actually left.

4 hours ago, gurru991 said:

I think he already has succeeded 

8 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

What makes a good manager then in your opinion? 

tactical set up, identifying weaknesses and then having the nouse to fix them over time, I don't think Southgate knows how to fix his midfield problem, we cant keep the ball well enough in the middle, we have too much of a gap between the front 3 and the middle 3 mainly because the player who plays furthest forward in the middle 3 doesn't have enough quality (based on it being barkley, Lingard, ali - mount is slightly better, Maddison would be a lot better) southgate sets us up to have possession along the back, get it to Henderson, then get it forward in to space very quickly then get it in to kane or sterling to let them show their quality, very much premier league / English football - vs the teams we play in the qualifiers they cant cope with it, we can also afford to push the midfield 3 higher up and have more of the ball and more time on it so the lack of quality doesn't show, as soon as we play in the nations league against someone half decent we struggle, as soon as we play in the euros next summer vs someone half decent we will struggle - what he needs are players in the middle who can pick the ball up from deep and carry it forward rather than pumping it forward, we don't need a midfield based on work rate and chasing loose balls down, it needs that little bit of quality in there for us to step up, there's 2 blindingly obvious players who can provide that for England, Maddison and grealish, neither of them have got a chance

credit where its due what he has done is got the players motivated again, we did have better players and better managers and did less because no one wanted to be there, southgate is doing the opposite, he is getting results that are better than his football because the young talented players are enjoying themselves

It’s harsh on Grealish but I think when an international manager knows certain players and they are doing well for their teams. It’s hard to drop any of them.  Plus it’s too soon after his injury so better for Villa that he will be fresh for Newcastle.

Jack continues to work hard for us he will be called up eventually.

• Like 2

Â