The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

stuff like that pisses me off

the guff about needing to take a better look at him in the PL because the championship isn't a great way of judging him, fair enough but you now have a week of football with an empty space in the squad, if you want to look at him then take a look at him

and I extend that beyond grealish, call up longstaff, call up anybody from the lower half of the league and see what they do when surrounded by better players, feels like a massive waste

• Like 1

Good to see Jack featuring in most of the teams of the week.  A few weeks ago I thought he was still a way behind Maddison, but if he continues these kind of performances in this role, he's going to go past him soon.  Will be fascinating to see how he performs against City and Liverpool when we're under a lot more pressure.

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

stuff like that pisses me off

the guff about needing to take a better look at him in the PL because the championship isn't a great way of judging him, fair enough but you now have a week of football with an empty space in the squad, if you want to look at him then take a look at him

and I extend that beyond grealish, call up longstaff, call up anybody from the lower half of the league and see what they do when surrounded by better players, feels like a massive waste

Some battered old, incorrect clichés are still tough to shake.

International football is the highest level to play at.

No doubt we played better teams in the Championship than Czech and Bulgaria.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Some battered old, incorrect clichés are still tough to shake.

International football is the highest level to play at.

No doubt we played better teams in the Championship than Czech and Bulgaria.

If Leeds were in this group in place of England, they'd top it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We've all screamed for Smith to move him to the left.

Well it goes to show, Villatalk is right. Sometimes.

He looks great in that inside left position also.

3 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Fabian Delph withdrawn from the England squad.

Surely Jack should be in line for a call up now?

Let's be honest, his BEST performance was his last, he is only JUST getting up to his best. Not sure if it warrants a call up yet, a manager will want to see more consistency first IMO.

He was actually pretty poor in a few games this season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Let's be honest, his BEST performance was his last, he is only JUST getting up to his best. Not sure if it warrants a call up yet, a manager will want to see more consistency first IMO.

He was actually pretty poor in a few games this season.

Have you noticed that every game that goes by seems to be his best performance of the season so far. He's just getting better and better and getting used to this league again. It was obvious that he and others were finding it hard to cope in the first few games, but his quality was always there. You can't teach what he has, and it will always translate across leagues and tournaments. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Have you noticed that every game that goes by seems to be his best performance of the season so far. He's just getting better and better and getting used to this league again. It was obvious that he and others were finding it hard to cope in the first few games, but his quality was always there. You can't teach what he has, and it will always translate across leagues and tournaments. 

I'd prefer him to continue to ascend in form than to be disrupted by the pressure of a senior call up... as it stands.

That being said, i'm not English so not really my place. lol

Agree with you though.

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

You’re not wrong.

I think Jack would rather get in the squad when originally announced mind you, seems a lad who’s quite driven by the principle of things rather than receiving a “second best” call up when someone drops out.

I could be wrong mind you, just feel it might take the gloss off his first call up a little bit I could be talking poo tbf

19 hours ago, PaulC said:

Southgate seems very biased towards the so called big clubs. If Grealish had signed for Spurs he would be in the squad 100%. 

Yep, the next squad. Wouldn't even need to play a league game.

For me it is the way he sets the example for all the players at the club to follow. Fulfilling the manager's request of him, working hard, being at the training for extra training being part of his normal routine, and not letting thing put him off the affect his performances (other than trying a little too hard in his first 6 games or so this season). 

As for England it matters to the players just for the fact it allows them to train and observe how the best players in the country operate, and helps raise the bar for their own standards. So it's not without its benefits. 

Ironically I think it's playing with McGinn in the middle that hampers him a little as Super John is off as so as we turn over possession forcing Jack to stay deeper. If he held back and those runs later it would benefit Jack. That said this I believe is part of the tactical approach we have taken in the early part of the season.

• Like 1

On 07/10/2019 at 20:28, The Inspiration said:

You’re not wrong.

I think Jack would rather get in the squad when originally announced mind you, seems a lad who’s quite driven by the principle of things rather than receiving a “second best” call up when someone drops out.

I could be wrong mind you, just feel it might take the gloss off his first call up a little bit I could be talking poo tbf

I agree with this, I think a call up due to another player dropping out wouldn't make it quite as special for Jack and I think Southgate is aware of this too.

However, if Jack keeps up with these latest level of performances I will be amazed if he isn't in the next England squad. 

Watched the Norwich highlights again last night and his goal just oozed class - driving past the centre half, laying the ball at the right time (may have tried slipping Wes in but was a harder ball, which may have been cut out), holding his position for the cut back then placing the ball with his weaker foot rather than lashing it - it was a thing of beauty (even though it was very simplistic) and for me shows  one of the improvements in Jack's game.  

Â