The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

2 hours ago, Ponky said:

Last time we were in the Premier League Jack was an inconsistent, precocious youngster, who most regarded as being in danger of wasting his talent. 

First 18 months in the Championship he was good, but not amazing, then the second 18 months he was pretty much the best player in the Championship. 

Now people expect him to be at his very best week in week out in a Premier League that has improved exponentially in the past 3 years. Overall, he is heavily involved in many of the positive things we do, and has also been at fault for some of our failings. 

However he is still a very young player and still learning, and as the captain and key player of one of the biggest clubs in the world, he is doing an amazing job. What other player out there has had to contend with this? 

Yes, he probably needs to be more vocal as captain, and he's not above reproach, but given all of the above he's doing an incredible job and will only continue to improve. 

Fans just need to be a bit more patient with him. 

I kind of disagree - he’s not exactly “very young” 24 years old and been in English football for 5 years (hardly a rookie) and we are not asking him to be the best in the league. As a fan base we are happy to tell the country how good a player he is and how he should be in England team, with this kind of talk I’m not sure it’s too much expectation that against ten men in the previous two games we should expect him to control the game. Regardless to what anyone says this simply hasn’t happened.

I rate Jack a lot but let’s me fair, we idolise him when he plays well but when he’s been below expectations we are allowed to voice our opinion.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

I kind of disagree - he’s not exactly “very young” 24 years old and been in English football for 5 years (hardly a rookie) and we are not asking him to be the best in the league. As a fan base we are happy to tell the country how good a player he is and how he should be in England team, with this kind of talk I’m not sure it’s too much expectation that against ten men in the previous two games we should expect him to control the game. Regardless to what anyone says this simply hasn’t happened.

I rate Jack a lot but let’s me fair, we idolise him when he plays well but when he’s been below expectations we are allowed to voice our opinion.

Agreed. Just wish that, as Captain, he would focus on getting our performances up rather than bang on about playing for England. 

He should have orchestrated things on the pitch yesterday and stopped us dropping deep. For a Captain, he really lacks any organisational capability and is very much an individual. 

And, BTW, it’s only really us that rate him so much. Am yet to come across a fan of another team that has as high an opinion.

30 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

it’s only really us that rate him so much. Am yet to come across a fan of another team that has as high an opinion.

The more I see of him in the premier league the more I am starting to doubt him. He gives the ball away far too often and doesn't threaten to score enough either. He'll need to improve his passing and goal scoring if he wants to get into the England squad.

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

He was as unsure of himself first half as I've ever seen him, was weird.

Then he does that run for the assist and goal and you think. "Why the f*ck haven't you been doing more of that"?

Everybody knows he is capable.

Playing too scared at the moment.

Needs to not allow the "occasion " of being under the spotlight in the Premier League get to him. 

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

I think he needs to forget over-playing for his England call up and get back to basics - he has the talent and he is remembering flashes what he needs to do to help the team, in fairness it is so much more competitive and his game needs others finding space around him which is a struggle at the moment. 

If he gets it together Villa will prosper and England will follow.

• Like 2

Stick him on the left and drop Elgahzi, play either Davies or another midfielder. Hourihane would be the obvious one but Douglas or Landsbury could also be given a chance.

Burnley will high press us which means we will be hitting long balls to release the pressure maybe Davies would help hold the ball up.

As for Jack if he's got a more definitive roll as a left sided player, he may be more affective and less likely to be running all over the pitch. He can create from the left side and also drift in . He will also draw A fair amount of Burnley players and that should leave more space in the middle .

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

If that was a villa claim, we'd be saying it was a stonewall pen.

Engles came across him and yea, he went down easily, bit Engles shouldn't have even been going in there.

It was a penalty, but he also dived...it's a weird one :lol: 

If Engels didn't make that silly challenge he would have looked Mark Noble levels of stupid and probably booked.

A few stats from whoscored.com for the Premier League only....yes he's made a few mistakes and hasn't been perfect, but we hold him to different standards. I've heard people say he can't cut it in the prem and we should drop him...we don't have anyone else who can do what we does:

84% pass completion
2 tackles per 90 - 4th
1.2 dribbled past per game (better than McGinn and Nakamba making him 3rd worst in the side)
1.3 blocks per game - 2nd
1.2 shots per game - 5th
2.3 key passes per game - 1st (by a long way)
1.5 dribbles per game - tied 2nd
3.8 fouls (on him) per game - 1st
0.7 bad touches per game - 7th (not bad)
2 assists - 1st
41.3ppg - 3rd behind the two centre backs
84.7% passes completed - 6th. Excellent given his key passes etc
He has a 0.8 roughly xG for the season as well so is due a goal soon

He is comfortably our best passer of the ball and chance creation, to the point if you took him out the side it would be a massive problem. He also holds his own for defensive stats with excellent blocks per game stats and is pretty resilient against someone dribbling against him. He also has good tackle stats too compared to others in the side. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 23/09/2019 at 09:24, Pimlico_Villa said:

Agreed. Just wish that, as Captain, he would focus on getting our performances up rather than bang on about playing for England. 

He should have orchestrated things on the pitch yesterday and stopped us dropping deep. For a Captain, he really lacks any organisational capability and is very much an individual. 

And, BTW, it’s only really us that rate him so much. Am yet to come across a fan of another team that has as high an opinion.

False. He does divide opinion, but I know a lot of neutrals who rate him.

He's also - regardless of how good you think he is - one of the most watchable players in English football. He plays like someone who hasn't had his footballing personality coached out of him. I think he's given a decent account of himself so far, but is slightly let down by our lack of quality down the left flank. That's not to say he hasn't made mistakes, but he's been one of our best players along with Mings, Engels, McGinn and Guilbert.

• Like 1

Still top 10 in the league for key passes/chances created, and if not for some terrible refereeing, he'd be on 3 assists and in the top 4 in the league for that category too. Not bad for someone who apparently isn't cutting it in this league so far.

• Like 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

Still top 10 in the league for key passes/chances created, and if not for some terrible refereeing, he'd be on 3 assists and in the top 4 in the league for that category too. Not bad for someone who apparently isn't cutting it in this league so far.

He is cutting it, but the players around him are not. We aren't as free flowing in attack as we were in the championship, so Grealish's chances are fewer, and not being finished. 

Grealish aint the problem. Our wings and striker is. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

He is cutting it, but the players around him are not. We aren't as free flowing in attack as we were in the championship, so Grealish's chances are fewer, and not being finished. 

To be fair Wesley has 2 goals in 6 games, if he continues in that form he would score 12 premiership goals, to be honest that's a reasonable return for a first season in a relegation dog fight team.

He needs time to adjust, I think he will come good, the Everton finish was good, the arsenal finish was also very good, once he adjusts to the league I think he will be a good player for us.

I also think trezeguet will come good, imo he has shown some flashes of his class and I reckon he will improve as they season goes on.

I just hope the team gels before it's too late.

6 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I honestly think a big chunk of that problem is Neil Taylor. Since Jack plays on that side, he needs the LB to be helping out his winger so he can feed either of them, but Taylor is just too static. There's never anything on, on the left side. We create way more down our right despite playing through either flank equally.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I honestly think a big chunk of that problem is Neil Taylor. Since Jack plays on that side, he needs the LB to be helping out his winger so he can feed either of them, but Taylor is just too static. There's never anything on, on the left side. We create way more down our right despite playing through either flank equally.

I try to support Deano, but I am baffled beyond bafflism that hause or targett aren't at LB ahead of Taylor, he's complete gash.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

I agree with you, but Targett really isn't great defensively. I think Dean worries about having two full backs that can get caught out in the attack. 

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

To be fair Wesley has 2 goals in 6 games, if he continues in that form he would score 12 premiership goals, to be honest that's a reasonable return for a first season in a relegation dog fight team.

He needs time to adjust, I think he will come good, the Everton finish was good, the arsenal finish was also very good, once he adjusts to the league I think he will be a good player for us.

I also think trezeguet will come good, imo he has shown some flashes of his class and I reckon he will improve as they season goes on.

I just hope the team gels before it's too late.

That's the main concern. I think Wesley will eventually turn into a threat, but I don't think it will magically happen over night. Same goes for Trez. In the meantime, we need points!

Just now, Czechlad said:

I agree with you, but Targett really isn't great defensively. I think Dean worries about having two full backs that can get caught out in the attack. 

who cares about getting caught out in attack if we cant score enough goals to stay up.......

they just need to play intelligently, dont tell me the better teams dont have full backs on both sides who can play, its almost a requirement for good teams these days.

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I try to support Deano, but I am baffled beyond bafflism that hause or targett aren't at LB ahead of Taylor, he's complete gash.

It's so weird because in the Championship, he decided to phase out Taylor and was playing Hause at LB until he got injured and was forced to play Taylor. Then he signed Targett, so I'm thinking that's the end of Taylor as first choice LB. Then that Spurs lineup comes around and Taylor is starting along with Elmo. I get that he wanted continuity from last season, and it didn't turn out horribly. But while he's let Freddie make the RB spot his own, he's let Taylor stay on unchallenged. I appreciate that both Targett and Hause got injured but they're both fit now. He needs to be phased out for the good of the team.

Just now, Keyblade said:

It's so weird because in the Championship, he decided to phase out Taylor and was playing Hause at LB until he got injured and was forced to play Taylor. Then he signed Targett, so I'm thinking that's the end of Taylor as first choice LB. Then that Spurs lineup comes around and Taylor is starting along with Elmo. I get that he wanted continuity from last season, and it didn't turn out horribly. But while he's let Freddie make the RB spot his own, he's let Taylor stay on unchallenged. I appreciate that both Targett and Hause got injured but they're both fit now. He needs to be phased out for the good of the team.

to be honest, if i were a betting man, i would bet as follows:

Deano played Taylor and Elmo for the first game or so as he wanted to show the team that players had to earn their place, and planned to phase Guilbert & Targett in over a few games.

He phased Guilbert in first, i also would bet he planned to phase Targett in, and the Crewe game was a run out for Targett to then go in to the first team, but he got injured which messed up the plan, hopefully it wont be long before Targett is back fit and displacing Taylor.

On another note though, would have put Hause ahead of Taylor if Targett was injured.

Now, if that "idea" of mine above isnt true, and Taylor is there becuase Deano rates him, thats concerning as far as im concerned, becuase hes rubbish, and if Deano thinks he isnt......thats concerning.

• Like 2

Â